• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (11 Viewers)

I will be in Plymouth at some stage this weekend, and wondered if any one had any more precise directions on the Cattle Egrets at Saltram and Warleigh Point...

The Cattle Egret are not actually at Saltram but are in a field to the east of the Drake Memorial Garden (cemetry) which is on a minor road between Plympton and Plymstock. It is known locally as Stag Lodge because there is an entrance to Saltram House just opposite the Memorial Garden with a couple of statues of stags on the gates. The road seems to be unclassified but the grid ref for parking is SX529548 Walk through the cemetry and view the cattle field.

You can't get to the minor road from the A38 - you have to go through either Plympton or Plymstock to get to it. The easiest way if you don't know the area is to go to Plymstock on the A379 and head towards Kingsbridge. I think it's the second roundabout that you need to turn left - if you get to the Elburton Pub you've gone one roundabout too far! Then you'll be on the right road and just need to look out for the cemetry.

Darrell

Had the male Black Redstart at Exmouth again this morning. It was around the Marina (mauve apartment block) and Shelley Beach. Also in the estuary off there a Pale-bellied Brent Goose with other Brents.
This afternoon produced a male Blackcap (giving subsong) at Knappe Cross, a female Brambling and 2 Siskins in Gorse Lane.

Going after the Ring-billed Gull that's been hanging around Slapton this afternoon. Apparently it's been present for at least 3 days in Ireland Bay(?). With any luck I might be able to pick up the Long-tailed Duck off Beesands as well. A grueling hour and a half there last weekend in terrible conditions wasn't too nice.
Lifeless around my patch at the moment. The wintering Little Grebe at Berry Pomeroy Castle Lake appears to have been shot by the Duke of Somerset, as have most of the Mallards :C
No wintering Chiffies or Blackcaps either, which is unusual.
Oh well, looking on the bright side, it's only 81 days until May and everyone can do some real birding again :t:

Webs count at Beesands this morning but nothing much there. Still 43 Gadwall but Pochards down to 12. Worst of all the puke Pochard is still present. Could not see the Long-tailed Duck off Beesands though 2 Eider still there.
Off Torcross Line could only find 5 off the Velvet Scoter along with 2 Common. Spent 90 minutes checking the gulls in Ireland Bay but could not see the Ring-billed Gull ( gulls coming and going all the time so i hope you fare better Joe ). A Kingfisher and a flock of 14 Snipe went by. Overhead a Grey Heron flying high with a load of twigs was a welcome sign that spring is coming.

Last edited:
Ford park Plymouth near the Cemetary.

Yellow Browed Warbler showing well today on upper footpath, allso Firecrest in same area.

Chris Buckland.

Attachments

• IMG_2580_1.JPG
    IMG_2580_1.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2594_1.JPG
    IMG_2594_1.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 73
Webs count at Beesands this morning but nothing much there. Still 43 Gadwall but Pochards down to 12. Worst of all the puke Pochard is still present. Could not see the Long-tailed Duck off Beesands though 2 Eider still there.
Off Torcross Line could only find 5 off the Velvet Scoter along with 2 Common. Spent 90 minutes checking the gulls in Ireland Bay but could not see the Ring-billed Gull ( gulls coming and going all the time so i hope you fare better Joe ). A Kingfisher and a flock of 14 Snipe went by. Overhead a Grey Heron flying high with a load of twigs was a welcome sign that spring is coming.
No luck myself. The sun reflecting on the water right where the gulls were bathing in Ireland Bay meant checking through them was very hard, although I'm pretty confident that it wasn't present and that I didn't miss it. Cetti's Warbler calling from the Higher Ley.
Had a quick look for the Long-tailed Duck - probably my biggest bogey bird, and still no sign :C
Also had a quick look at Beesands Ley. Couldn't pick out that bloody pochard-thing although I didn't look very long, mum wanted to get home (doesn't she always), whereabouts was it Perry?
Joe

I'm coming to Devon on 22 February. Can I just confirm that this RC Pochard is plastic?

I don't want to tick it unless it is legitimate.

What are the circumstances surrounding it?

I'm coming to Devon on 22 February. Can I just confirm that this RC Pochard is plastic?

I don't know that you can confirm either way. It's got 'reasonable' credentials, turned up with Pochard's at the end of 2007 and has overwintered, whether it clears off again in the spring remains to be seen.

On the contrary, there is nothing to suggest it is plastic at all. It was first noted in the middle of November, and has made the odd brief visit to Slapton as well. It can go missing at other times, but may just be back in the reeds and out of view. More often than not, it associates with the Gadwall and Pochard in the middle of the ley..

best of luck if you go....

I don't know that you can confirm either way. It's got 'reasonable' credentials, turned up with Pochard's at the end of 2007 and has overwintered, whether it b*ggers off again in the spring remains to be seen.

Wasn't there some speculation when it first arrived that it was from the Cotswold Water Park population? It being a 'blonde' variety, which is more common among inbred populations like Cotswold, apparently..

Quick bird update - Peregrine up Fore St. in Exeter [ very fast, rooftop height - Hobby style! ] on Sat afternoon. 2 Stock Dove over Meldon W, 9+ singing Skylark around Yes Tor, 6 roosting Goosander on Meldon reservoir, and a river of Starlings, heading SE, just west of Okie [ horizon to horizon, 6 figures easy.... :eek!: ] yesterday.

Ta v much

Yellow Browed Warbler showing well today on upper footpath, allso Firecrest in same area.
Nice photos Chris.

Thanks to those who passed on gen re. the Broadsands seed. :t:

Here are a couple of pics taken there earlier today.

Attachments

• 2008_0211Cirls0013.jpg
    2008_0211Cirls0013.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2008_0211Cirls0014.jpg
    2008_0211Cirls0014.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 67
Ernesettle Creek

Good views of the Spoonbill in the creek ,Cattle Egret at Warleigh Point .
Chris Buckland.

Attachments

• IMG_2880_1.jpg
    IMG_2880_1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2879_1.jpg
    IMG_2879_1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2869_1.jpg
    IMG_2869_1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2792_1.jpg
    IMG_2792_1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2821_1.jpg
    IMG_2821_1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 47
The Black Redstart was still around the marina at Exmouth early afternoon. It was on rocks on the small beach adjacent to Spinakers portacabin and the mauve apartment block. Also, an adult Mediterranean Gull again just off Mudbank Lane at 1330hrs.

Gadwalls

Visited Kingsbridge Estuary and saw Swans Little Egret and Shell Ducks - West on to Slapton and Saw tufted Ducks and Pouchard and then Went on to Beesand and saw approx 12 pair of Gadwall ducks Stonechat
Attached photos thought you might like to see of what I have had amongst others in my garden today

Attachments

• DSCF0656.JPG
    DSCF0656.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0673 (2).JPG
    DSCF0673 (2).JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF0680.JPG
    DSCF0680.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back