• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Displaying Egret at Wakodahachee, Florida (1 Viewer)

Chris in France

I took this photo of two Egrets during apparent courtship displays. The one on the right appears to be a Cattle Egret but the one on the left has a black bill and pink lores, which may be a Snowy Egret but I am puzzled that the lores are not yellow. Is it not a Snowy Egret after all?

Attachments

• IMG_8605xsre.jpg
    IMG_8605xsre.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 114
Agree with two species in the picture. Were they fighting over the nest or something?

Niels

Definitely snowy and cattle. There appears to be a third egret hidden behind, so maybe just a coincidence that they were close to each other?

Many thanks for the confirmation of the Snowy Egret ID. I assume the pink lores occur during the breeding season.

In answer to njlarsen, they were not fighting but displaying separately and close together. Wakodahachee has at least one very large bush in the swamp and close to the boardwalk which is shared by several species for breeding and displaying. On this particular bush, apart from the cattle and snowy, I photographed great egrets, great blue herons, glossy ibis, white ibis and anhinga, either courting or nesting and some had youngsters with them. It's an incredible place at this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back