• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do people look at you in a weird way when your birding? (1 Viewer)

I've had a few people mistake my tripod for a gun before. I've also discovered that, in such circumstances, if I stare at them menacingly enough they are too scared to get a proper look at the "gun" and presumably carry on thinking it is one. Presumably an Arnie style chain gun too, given the tripod design. Certainly funnier than being called a sad bastard.

I've had a few people mistake my tripod for a gun before. I've also discovered that, in such circumstances, if I stare at them menacingly enough they are too scared to get a proper look at the "gun" and presumably carry on thinking it is one. Presumably an Arnie style chain gun too, given the tripod design. Certainly funnier than being called a sad bastard.
iv,e been stopped twice by the police thinking my tripod was a gun,because
one of the legs was broken and it used to stick outside my bag,but now
i have got a new tripod and i have had no problems since.

I've never had problems with people thinking my tripod is a gun, just people telling me 'that there are very few wild boar in this part of the wood.'

What I particularly like is when people duck down in front of my tripod to pass, thinking I'm filming something. I appreciate their consideration but it still makes me laugh.

I used to get schoolkids and chavs asking me what I was up to when I was watching the gull roost at Aberystwyth, depending on their interest/sarcasm I'd either tell them what I was doing honestly, say I was looking for mermaids or that I was the newly appointed tsunami early-warning system.

When you are out birding do you get a few people looking at you in a very iodd way? I get alot of it sometimes mainly from old people & young kids it's as if they have never seen people walking with binoculars before. All the staring puts me off sometimes so I walk away.

My whole neighborhood thinks I am freakie deakie to begin with and I am the only mom that keep binocs around her neck when there to pick my daughter up from school so.... ya I get looks but it no longer bothers me

Interestingly, I have just heard on the radio, presenters talking about weirdos & suprisingly Birdwatching was mentioned. I really find it amazing that some people find it odd to Birdwatch, there probably the types who watch soap operas & those appaling reality TV programs. What is wrong with being interested in birds & wildlife in general, they are real life & not make believe. Give me fact & not fiction.

Rod.

That's probably why people are so stressed these days; they're completely out of touch with nature thinking it's just a pastime for sad barstewards or weirdoes.

People at work have accused me of being a bit odd because I'm a birder, but when they then start yacking on about Eastenders, Castaway, or celebrity gossip then I start to wonder just who exactly the weirdoes are.

As for other people thinking I'm weird, I suppose I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, I am really!
I've got the benefit of being a foreigner, so most of the French just find that me being a birder must be an English eccentricity, like high tea at 4, mint sauce and Benny Hill.

I think this is an interesting issue. Personally, I don't ever recall being given abuse as a result of my birding, although I have noticed that people often look at me with a very puzzled, almost intimidated, expression. I do a lot of my birding by public transport, so often end up carrying bins/tripod etc through built up areas. Even in relatively gentrified areas, people still obviously stop and stare. I remember going for the Amwell Little Butning last month, and a fairly elderly man stopped walking and stared at with me with what looked like an expression of genuine horror, which I thought was odd seeing as it seemed a relatively affluent area near a nature reserve! It may because I'm (relatively) young, quite skinny, and probably don't fit most peoples' conception of a bird/nature person should look like.

But more generally, as someone up thread correctly said, it's amazing how much anxiety unconventional behaviour can generate, and birding is not *that* unconventional. And yet even so, it habitually generates amusement, confusion and sometimes mild hostility. I think the confusion around birding is symptomatic of a more general uneasiness that the great British public seem to have with anything that seems remotely unconventional.

Interestingly, I have just heard on the radio, presenters talking about weirdos & suprisingly Birdwatching was mentioned. I really find it amazing that some people find it odd to Birdwatch, there probably the types who watch soap operas & those appaling reality TV programs. What is wrong with being interested in birds & wildlife in general, they are real life & not make believe. Give me fact & not fiction.
Rod.

Being interested in birds and wildlife in general is not considered weird at all. TV wildlife programmes are extremely popular with all kinds of people. Unfortunately the more "geeky" birdwatchers i.e. those who chase around the country for rare vagrants, and look for birds to "tick" rather than just enjoy watching have given the hobby the reputation that it has.

Unfortunately the more "geeky" birdwatchers i.e. those who chase around the country for rare vagrants, and look for birds to "tick" rather than just enjoy watching have given the hobby the reputation that it has.

Oh no, please don't go there! It's not true either: most people don't even know such people exist, especially if they don't care about nature anyway.. The people watching nature programmes are not the ones that give you weird looks... they will probably pose more constructive questions.
Of course a flock of twitchers in the centre of a town will get some weird looks... but if you tell them you've come to see a very rare bird, they are (in my experience) usually appreciative (as long as you respect their privacy, hahaha).

I think people just give birders a hard time because we can be so obvious and often in odd places but in general we don't bother anyone. That too is an issue, many people are always willing to mess with those who weren't bothering anyone. We are actually normal everyday people. People who are into and obsessed with whales are a whole different breed, trust me on this one.

Oh no, please don't go there! It's not true either: most people don't even know such people exist, especially if they don't care about nature anyway.. The people watching nature programmes are not the ones that give you weird looks... they will probably pose more constructive questions.
Of course a flock of twitchers in the centre of a town will get some weird looks... but if you tell them you've come to see a very rare bird, they are (in my experience) usually appreciative (as long as you respect their privacy, hahaha).

But non-birders see all birders as twitchers. Its the average non-obsessive birders that they don't realise exist!

I do a fair bit of "fish watching". You should see the looks I get when I've waded out into the middle of a shallow river. Although by posting this, I suppose I risk people posting that the looks might be justified :)

It may because I'm (relatively) young, quite skinny, and probably don't fit most peoples' conception of a bird/nature person should look like.

As somebody who is also quite skinny you have completely lost me on that one. Is a stereotypical birder meant to be fat? If anything I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Must admit 99% of peoples reaction has been very positive much more so than if was out on my mountain bike or walking through the local country park without my bins.

But non-birders see all birders as twitchers. Its the average non-obsessive birders that they don't realise exist!
I don't think that's true, certainly not in the Netherlands (which of course only has some 500 twitchery types). They usually see birdwatching as an activity which is just that: watching (no matter what kind of) bird – I agree that comes over as weird. Only when they realise you can be more dedicated in seeing "special" birds (and of course I don't necessarily mean twitching), they start to understand. They still may think it's utterly uninteresting though...

Being interested in birds and wildlife in general is not considered weird at all. TV wildlife programmes are extremely popular with all kinds of people. Unfortunately the more "geeky" birdwatchers i.e. those who chase around the country for rare vagrants, and look for birds to "tick" rather than just enjoy watching have given the hobby the reputation that it has.

i think there is a difference between birding and birdwatching. i think that birding is where all u do is tick and add birds to yer life list, but birdwatching is where u just enjoy watching birds no matter if there a lifer or not. and u take notes. thats just my opinion of the difference. i like adding birds to my life list, but i think im more of the birdwatching type.

8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P random...

As somebody who is also quite skinny you have completely lost me on that one. Is a stereotypical birder meant to be fat? If anything I would have thought it would be the other way around.

Must admit 99% of peoples reaction has been very positive much more so than if was out on my mountain bike or walking through the local country park without my bins.

My sense is that peoples' perception is that birders are not fat, necessarily, but maybe a bit chubby. Like Bill Oddie for example. Granted, maybe my physical size (or lack thereof) is irrelevant, but I do think that the fact that I am not perceived to look like a "typical" bird person does enhance peoples' sense of bemusement.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back