• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly that lights up (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
Has anyone ever seen a dragonfly that lights up like a firefly? Saw one today. It was flashing on and off a very bright orange colour in daylight. It was not a reflection from the sun as it was not moving or changing position.

I have seen a few of them in my childhood in my hometown. They used to be much bigger in size than the normal ones. I am disappointed that even google has no images for that.

No, they were some different colored ones, bigger than the others, also some greenish blue color.
We did get hold of some during the butterfly hunting.
We had no phones then, otherwise would have been a very good thing to have today. I miss them.

Has anyone ever seen a dragonfly that lights up like a firefly? Saw one today. It was flashing on and off a very bright orange colour in daylight. It was not a reflection from the sun as it was not moving or changing position.
Where in Canada was this, please?

No, they were some different colored ones, bigger than the others, also some greenish blue color.
We did get hold of some during the butterfly hunting.
We had no phones then, otherwise would have been a very good thing to have today. I miss them.
Where was this, please, India is a big place.

Would need to see photos or documentation from somewhere before I believe it. Likely just light reflecting off something else, e.g. ripples on water, that would make the reflection change.

Last edited:
Yes. Today I saw a dragonfly’s tailing glowing on and off. I couldn’t believe my eyes but I have a video. I live in Cairns, Australia. I didn’t even realise at the time but at home noticed it when I was watching my video. But then everyone says that doesn’t happen. Just a play of sun?

Attachments

• RPReplay_Final1713846023.mov
    16.2 MB
Last edited:
Yes. Today I saw a dragonfly’s tailing glowing on and off. I couldn’t believe my eyes but I have a video. I live in Cairns, Australia. I didn’t even realise at the time but at home noticed it when I was watching my video. But then everyone says that doesn’t happen. Just a play of sun?
What is supposed to be remarkable here, I see nothing?

Not glowing on and off, rather inflating and deflating as the insect pumps air into it. By "glowing" I think what you're seeing is change in expanse of the colour: the colour itself isn't changing (at least to my eye)

The video doesn't play. Just a grey square.

I agree with others, it's likely a visual illusion caused by shifting angles of the body (in flight), wing reflection, or some other effect of sunlight interacting with the body that causes the effect. The video a couple posts up is a reasonable example, but I've seen instances where it was even more striking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back