• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

I had a day out in central Duham today. A bit wild and windy much of the time, but the sun occasionally broke through. The Bishop Middleham area held pretty much what you'd expect, with 6 Shoveler and 13 Gadwall about the best of the ducks on Castle Lake. 177 Greylag Geese were by Stoney Beck Lake, but nothing else was lurking with them.
Low Barns was a bit more sheltered. The feeders seem fairly well stocked and several Marsh Tits and Nuthatches were frequent visitors. The odd Siskin and Redpoll flew over but the trees were very blowy on the northern side, so I failed to find any flocks feeding. Met BF member Spuggy here in his work lunchbreak and the DBC Conservation Officer, who was too busy trying to blag freebies in the DWT centre to be bothered looking for birds. (only joking John!). JO had been trying for raptors on the moors today but reported it was a bit too windy there.
A Common Buzzard was floating around over McNeil Bottoms and the Red Kites at Sherburn Towers were enjoying the breeze. However the dark clouds rolled in and the increasing wind made viewing less than ideal. Several Kites were coming almost to rooftop height over the estate - wonder if they'll start grabbing food from birdtables as they do down south?

Attachments

• Nuthatch-Low-Barns-310107-(.jpg
    Nuthatch-Low-Barns-310107-(.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Treecreeper-Low-Barns-31010.jpg
    Treecreeper-Low-Barns-31010.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Goldeneye-Low-Barns-310107-.jpg
    Goldeneye-Low-Barns-310107-.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Blue-Tit-Low-Barns-310107-(.jpg
    Blue-Tit-Low-Barns-310107-(.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 95
green pecker ....sounds nasty!

had a couple of hours out today green woodpecker 2 mistle thrush at stargate 4 goldeneye lots of goosesander on tyne at clara vale
+ couple of pics from muggleswick last year just found them

Attachments

• 2 top birders.JPG
    2 top birders.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 109
  • MUGS BIRDING TRIP (1).JPG
    MUGS BIRDING TRIP (1).JPG
    102 KB · Views: 116
  • MUGS BIRDING TRIP (2).JPG
    MUGS BIRDING TRIP (2).JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 112
  • MUGS BIRDING TRIP (3).JPG
    MUGS BIRDING TRIP (3).JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 107
A Common Buzzard was floating around over McNeil Bottoms and the Red Kites at Sherburn Towers were enjoying the breeze. However the dark clouds rolled in and the increasing wind made viewing less than ideal. Several Kites were coming almost to rooftop height over the estate - wonder if they'll start grabbing food from birdtables as they do down south?[/QUOTE]

Mark

Excellent photos - what were you doing in Durham? Has Whitburn obs been condemned?

Had an afternoon at Rainton Meadows today very enjoyable, tried and failed to find any Long Eared Owls roosting unless you know where to look its like looking for a needle in a haystack no droppings signs on the trees where I looked will try later.

Plenty of small parties of Redwing about, including all the water pools 47 Coots, 1 Little Grebe, 5 Moorhens, 2 pair of Mute Swans, around 10 pair of Mallards, 1 Pochard,
1 Cormorant, 4 - 5 pair of Tufted Ducks, 51 Canada Geese.

Then something must have disturbed the geese in the near by fields as over 150 Greylag Geese flew in onto the main pool plus 2 Pink Footed Geese joined them an excellent sight.

Also there were 2 Oyster Catchers, 30 + Lapwings, 5 Curlews, at 14 :06 a Buzzard came over from the North end of the reserve flying very low then gained a bit of height soon to be jostled by one of the local Kestrels, gained more height and then drifted over toward Rainton and over a house on the hill with conifers around it then out of sight time would now be 14 :12.

Kestrels hunting on the side of the hill at the Meadows, odd Meadow Pipit seen, Sparrowhawk hunting lower fields and bushes.

Turned my attention to look for Short Eared Owls from the hill top checked all the surrounding fields old tip and the hill edges but to no avail, a worker there told me they had not been seen for a while, not like last year when they were just over your head.

Tried Coxgreen to see if the Mandarins were still there no sign tonight are they still on the river ?. I'm pleased you found the Red Kite roost at Sherburn Hill Estate Mark well worth the visit eh. Good Birding to everyone.

The gaffer said:
Mark, Excellent photos - what were you doing in Durham? Has Whitburn obs been condemned?

:-O I made it one of my New Year resolutions that I should get out more! As comfortable and welcoming though it is, the Obs loses some appeal during long bouts of winter westerlies. Plus I doubt that I'd get very good Nuthatch photos in Whitburn Coastal Park!
I've just bought the OS maps covering Durham and am finding my way around parts I don't normally go - good fun! I felt quite superior to the DBC chairman the other day - he rang me up saying he was trying to find the feeding station at Hetton Bogs and was lost! At least I could give him precise directions, and maybe should have referred him to the latest Lek with the mini site guide to HB (which he'd actually just given to me the day before!)
Looking forward to a few more trips out in the coming months (as long as it's not during a northerly!)

100 up.

hen harrier said:
Had an afternoon at Rainton Meadows today very enjoyable, tried and failed to find any Long Eared Owls roosting unless you know where to look its like looking for a needle in a haystack no droppings signs on the trees where I looked will try later.

Plenty of small parties of Redwing about, including all the water pools 47 Coots, 1 Little Grebe, 5 Moorhens, 2 pair of Mute Swans, around 10 pair of Mallards, 1 Pochard,
1 Cormorant, 4 - 5 pair of Tufted Ducks, 51 Canada Geese.

Then something must have disturbed the geese in the near by fields as over 150 Greylag Geese flew in onto the main pool plus 2 Pink Footed Geese joined them an excellent sight.

Also there were 2 Oyster Catchers, 30 + Lapwings, 5 Curlews, at 14 :06 a Buzzard came over from the North end of the reserve flying very low then gained a bit of height soon to be jostled by one of the local Kestrels, gained more height and then drifted over toward Rainton and over a house on the hill with conifers around it then out of sight time would now be 14 :12.

Kestrels hunting on the side of the hill at the Meadows, odd Meadow Pipit seen, Sparrowhawk hunting lower fields and bushes.

Turned my attention to look for Short Eared Owls from the hill top checked all the surrounding fields old tip and the hill edges but to no avail, a worker there told me they had not been seen for a while, not like last year when they were just over your head.

Tried Coxgreen to see if the Mandarins were still there no sign tonight are they still on the river ?. I'm pleased you found the Red Kite roost at Sherburn Hill Estate Mark well worth the visit eh. Good Birding to everyone.

Well Done that Man !
Your Oiks are species #100 for our patch this year ! :clap:

hen harrier said:
...Then something must have disturbed the geese in the near by fields as over 150 Greylag Geese flew in onto the main pool plus 2 Pink Footed Geese joined them an excellent sight.....

Just remembered - Boldon Buzzard rang me to say there was a flock of 68 Pink-footed Geese in the grassy field next to Boldon Flats this evening. There seems to have been a lot moving in the country the last few days (including 15,000 NW over one S Yorks locality yesterday!) There was also still a Ruff at the Flats yesterday.

hen harrier said:
...Tried Coxgreen to see if the Mandarins were still there no sign tonight are they still on the river ?. I'm pleased you found the Red Kite roost at Sherburn Hill Estate Mark well worth the visit eh. Good Birding to everyone.

The Mandarins were still there a couple of days ago. They were in and out under the pontoon on the river and also on edge of bank. It'll be worth a look back later.
The Kites were good, just a shame the weather wasn't better. I was picturing what they'd look like against a nice blue sky and in the sunshine. I'll get back for another look soon.

Battle of the Feeding Stations ! / Leo info & pic.

DEREK.C. said:
Elemore golfcourse feeding station (which consists of some 3/4 ply wedged in a hawthorn has been great since new year.This weeks birds include 25 greenys 10 bullys 7 willow tits 4 reed bunts and loads of other titmice. the highlight was a lesser redpoll last week; although 20 siskin landed in nearby birch but didnt feed. No jack snipe around unlike last winter.

Derek
Wait till JBee see's that list !
Theres no ply-wood at Hetton Bogs station..... he needs advice from a real birdman ! no wonder he cant get any finches down..... ;)

Thanks for latest Long-eared Owl info....
Att'd image is from Derek, & shows a single in its favoured local situation - a semi-mature Hawthorn tree, roosting at approx 1.5m off ground & adjacent to open rough fields.

Steve

Attachments

• LEO_Derek_JAN_2007_(2).jpg
    LEO_Derek_JAN_2007_(2).jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 124
StevieEvans said:
Derek
Wait till JBee see's that list !
Theres no ply-wood at Hetton Bogs station..... he needs advice from a real birdman ! no wonder he cant get any finches down..... ;)
Steve
AH but, no but, yes but, no but -
Had first finch into the station yesterday - male bullfinch.
Also male reed bunting now as regular as the female.
Last two visits have seen a superb cock pheasant along with female.
Last but not least a GSW is now a regular on the central upright trunk.

So species list is (seen during visits so could be more) :- Willow, Great, blue, long tail and coal tits, dunnock, robin, BULLFINCH, GSW, pheasant, water raill, wren, kingfisher (Flys through daily but has landed), moorhen, reed bunting and magpie.

CW and I have chatted numerous times regarding lack of finches and can only conclude that it is because there is only dense willow at the station - no hawthorn etc. That we assume has an effect on the species of bird likely to be seen. We do have pet water rails though :)
We are looking forward to spring and the willow, reed warblers, whitethroat etc. that we know for certain will be there.

Attachments

• d200woody.jpg
    d200woody.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Local Patching - Houghton-le-Spring area

JBee said:
AH but, no but, yes but, no but -
Had first finch into the station yesterday - male bullfinch.
So species list is (seen during visits so could be more) :- Willow, Great, blue, long tail and coal tits, dunnock, robin, BULLFINCH, GSW, pheasant, water raill, wren, kingfisher (Flys through daily but has landed), moorhen, reed bunting and magpie.

Which bird show did you buy that from then ? ;-)

An excellent & very slick piece of photo journalism about the feeding station will be on articles section of DBC website shortly (linked from the site guide).

Houghton Gate
the Shelduck pair have returned to their breeding water, also 3 Pinkies & 150+ Curlew there.
Bullfinch & Willow tit, again singing nearby.... roll on spring....

SE

Some good county birds seen yesterday en-route back from Pacific Diver twitch including at least 2 Water Pipits near Haverton Hole, the usual adult Yellow-legged Gull showing well at the Tees Barrage, the 3 Ring-necked Parakeets in Ward Jackson Park and a 2w Mediterranean Gull at Newburn Outfall.

Tundra Bean Goose (with a passage flock of 32 Pink-feet) and a Common Redpoll were both found a matter of yards from the county border on the wrong side of Darlington. In fact the Common Redpoll possibly flew into Durham but not going to claim it!

Lovely day so decided to have long walk with dogs.Crossed elemore golfcourse and followed path to pittington hills loads of setaside in area 2 skylarks up high in full song unbelievably early +60 yellowhammer 30 linnet and a few kessys and sparrowhawks.Next stop littletown where the highlight was 100+ redwing and a few pair of grey partrigde. the area is usually good for brambling but none this year
Into elemore wood and predictably first thing seen is a grey squirrel, flyover crossbill, 30+ siskin in larch , great tits and coal tits tits calling everywhere few goldcrests and treecreepers. Buzzard seen been chased by a crow across elemore hall school .
Quick stop to top up feeding station , 2 pair of great spotted peckers nearby making a racket. Pair of kestrels in display above last years nest site in pine tree.
Finally quick pop round to see water rail on the home straight (2 second glance) before home. :D

Pair of GSW hung around feeding station area all afternoon with one female paying regular visits to the central post and peanut feeder on left of station.

Attachments

• d200woody0087.jpg
    d200woody0087.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 86
  • d200woody0099.jpg
    d200woody0099.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 82
  • d200woody0108.jpg
    d200woody0108.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 87
Boldon Flats this morning had a pair of Shoveler and the Ruff. At the feeding station bushes nine Yellowhammer were seen along with some Tree Sparrow.
Along the pier at South Shields three Turnstone and a single Rock Pipit were seen along with ten Sanderling on the beach.
This afternoon plenty of Reed Bunting activity at Rainton Meadows along with Long-Tailed Tits, a Meadow Pipit and a Skylark in full voice. Only two Little Grebes of note on Joe's Pond.

JBee said:
Pair of GSW hung around feeding station area all afternoon with one female paying regular visits to the central post and peanut feeder on left of station.
I bet you dont see one of these at bogs jbee

Attachments

• leo 001_640x480.jpg
    leo 001_640x480.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 115
looking at .......

can anybody Remember what we were looking at????. dont try racking your brains mr evans you missed it!!! :brains:

Attachments

• what are these guys looking at.JPG
    what are these guys looking at.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
DEREK.C. said:
By the way jbee i`m the one who fetched my old fella to the bogs and saw you in the new year, and saw sod all. :stuck:
I know Derek - must have been the only day the rail never came out :) :)

About 80 Pink-footed Geese flew SW over Testo's roundabout/West Pastures at 08.10 this morning. Seems to be very good numbers on the move over much of N England at the moment - maybe to do with the mild temperatures and the birds think spring is on the way?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back