• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Phoebe abandoned babies?? (1 Viewer)

Charlottephoebe

Hi everyone! New to BirdForum from Charlotte, NC. Sad to say that I'm starting with a heartbreaking question. :(

This was our 3rd Spring welcoming an Eastern Phoebe nest to our porch! A little precariously placed, but amazing how strong and secure this little nest has been 3 years running, on a little ledge under our front door stoop. We've had a very up-close and beautiful experience watching nature do it's thing right outside our front window. We had one brood the first year with 4 healthy babies. Two broods last year--first brood, 4 babies. Three safely flew the coop when we found the last one had it's leg tangled in the nest! After some effort, my daughter and I were able to rescue it and take it to a rehab center. Whew. Sadly, a cowbird intruded into our second brood last year and, once the baby cowbird hatched, the Phoebes did not survive.

If you are still with me . . .
April came this year and we had 5 eggs in our nest! Only 4 hatched, but we were able to watch them grow til they nearly overflowed the nest and all flew away with no complications!

And then the second brood arrived. 3 new eggs. All hatched as expected about 10 days ago. We have been excitedly watching these 3 precious babies start to grow--ACTIVE babies, reaching, stretching their little heads so high during feedings, mama and daddy taking good care, no concerns noted until yesterday afternoon, when we found one of the babies on the ground below the nest, no longer alive. Just heartbreaking. Was it pushed out? Did it get too active and fall out somehow? I just don't know. But we waited and watched all afternoon, debating about what to do. No mama and daddy around for a bit, I noticed, but by evening, much activity as the mama (I believe) was hopping and chirping near and around the little one for many minutes as the other parent stood watch nearby. As it was nearing sundown and little bugs and flies were beginning to join the event, after much debate, my son and I decided to take a moment when the mom and dad were both away, to pick up the baby and bury it nearby. So incredibly sad.

But now, I'm so regretful, thinking that maybe we did something wrong by removing it, because by this morning, I couldn't find the mama bird. I didn't see her at all this morning or upon returning from work this afternoon - and after watching and waiting for more than an hour, and seeing no activity from the nest, I peeked up over the side only to find the other two babies not moving. No mama and no daddy to be found.

I've googled many phoebe sites and have found no evidence of baby abandonment in this type of bird. Did we do something wrong by removing the deceased baby? Why wouldn't they have returned to the nest to feed the others? Especially being only days away from leaving the nest?

My heart is broken and I just wonder if anyone has any insights.

Thank you for listening and I would welcome any feedback.

I know this post is 4 years old but it was such a sad story I felt compelled to reply. I'm disappointed that nobody was able to shed some insight into the abandonment issues of the baby Phoebes because I would also love to know what might have caused the mama bird to abandon her babies. I started watching birds a few years ago and put up feeders a couple feet from my bedroom window so I could observe them close up. They are such beautiful, amazing, creatures and some have the cutest personalities but back on the topic of the Phoebe's though... I have an Eastern Phoebe that constantly squawks "Phoebe-Phoebe-Phoebe" for hours at a time! I never thought I would say that about any of my wild birds but that Phoebe is beginning to drive me nuts! LOL! I hope it's a sign of mating or protecting its family. I would welcome some babies to my yard. Anyway, I'd just like to say I hope you figured out what happened so that if it was something that's preventable on your part, you can fix it. Maybe it was just a fluke though and Mama Phoebe has continued to return and bring you a little joy.šŸ™‚

Have a blessed day!
Tammy O
Northeast Atlanta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back