• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador bird photography mid September - start of October (1 Viewer)

Arie G

Hi, I'm self-organizing a trip to Ecuador focused on bird photography. I think I should be fine doing it myself but a companion would be welcome. The itinerary isn't really set yet but it will probably be focused on hummingbirds (Mindo), also I'd like to visit the Amazon forest, but I'm open for suggestions (not planning to visit the Galapagos Islands). I do priortize photography over number of species, maybe something to keep in mind. Also I'm on a bit of a budget so I won't be spending hundreds for a night, however I think there's plenty available for less, luxury is not a priority. Date is set, it's september 13th to oktober 6th. If there's anyone interested in joining feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
If you are on a budget, I'd highly suggest focusing on birding the Choco area (Mindo) and maybe add a few days on the East slope from Wildsumaco (it's a bit expensive compared to Mindo but the lodge has plenty of feeders and much more budget friendly than the Amazon region with many similar species).

The Mindo area obviously has dozens of feeding stations and places to photograph not just hummingbirds but also tanagers and antpittas, so I'd give priority to this area since it's much more budget friendly and you can easily spend a day in each of the popular feeding stations like Rio Silanche, Paz de las Aves and Mashpi.

If you are on a budget, I'd highly suggest focusing on birding the Choco area (Mindo) and maybe add a few days on the East slope from Wildsumaco (it's a bit expensive compared to Mindo but the lodge has plenty of feeders and much more budget friendly than the Amazon region with many similar species).

The Mindo area obviously has dozens of feeding stations and places to photograph not just hummingbirds but also tanagers and antpittas, so I'd give priority to this area since it's much more budget friendly and you can easily spend a day in each of the popular feeding stations like Rio Silanche, Paz de las Aves and Mashpi.
If you're on a budget you won't want to do Wildsumaco. I was there in December at $172 per night for 3 nights. An amazing place, but expensive, though not as much as the lodges down the Napo for sure. By way of contrast Yellow House in MIndo (real name Hacienda San Vicente) was $30 including breakfast, and is highly recommended.

If you're on a budget you won't want to do Wildsumaco. I was there in December at $172 per night for 3 nights. An amazing place, but expensive, though not as much as the lodges down the Napo for sure. By way of contrast Yellow House in MIndo (real name Hacienda San Vicente) was $30 including breakfast, and is highly recommended.
The recommendation of Wildsumaco was in comparison to Napo lodges since Arie mentioned that the Amazon was a place of interest. You can get a variety of lowland and foothill species and like you said it's a bit expensive but covers everything, which isn't anywhere as expensive as 3 nights in an Amazonian lodge.

But 100% agree that Mindo should be the place to stay the bulk of the time there with Yellow House as the lodging point.

Following with interest. I am thinking about taking a trip to Ecuador in November if anyone is interested in planning with me. I have an interest in both birds and mammals, photography more than listing but keen to see as much as possible without covering too much ground. Definitely keen to see plate-billed mountain toucan, hummers etc..

Last edited:
How would one get around? Would you need to hire a car or does the lodge offer transfers from Quito? What about guiding, does the lodge provide this or do you just self guide? I've never been to Ecuador so I'm sure I would benefit from some guided birding. Would appreciate any advice you can offer, thanks..

You could get a taxi from Quito airport to Yellow House and then use taxis or buses from there, as some have done. Yellow House could also help with some logistic arrangements. I opted for a professional guide, Jorge Luna, who for $130/day provided excellent birding knowledge, good English communication, and also a 4x4 SUV included in the price. (Hiring a similar vehicle alone would cost $100 including insurance.) All in all a very good deal, and a good guy as well! I can send you his contact details in a Private Message (don't like to post these on a public forum without permission).

Planning a trip to EC myself with my gf...as soon as her foot heals from surgery. I just wanted to share what we found in researching the Amazon. We chose 2 places to stay there and Sani Lodge offered us a great experience at a reasonable price FOR THE AMAZON. I'm a photographer but also keep a bird list and I'm not certain that the Amazon will afford you the great opportunities that you'll get elsewhere for photos. Many birds are high in the canopy or distant. Even though the Ecuadorian Amazon is probably the least expensive of all the opportunities offered by all the countries that touch that wonderful ecosystem, I think that as a photographer you'd be better served at the West Slope, as has been mentioned. Although we're planning to stay at the more expensive options there, Wild Sumaco, Cabanas de San Isidro and Guango Lodge, there are less expensive options there (you'll have to research that as we glossed over those). You can stay at a less expensive lodging and take a taxi to one of the lodges, pay a day rate and photo there. Make sure that those lodges still offer that for non-guests. Good luck!

Thanks for the help so far. I understand the Amazon might not offer as many birds compared to other places, however I've always wanted to visit the Amazon and the adventure is also part of the fun, as are the other animals and flora/fauna. What about the Caiman Lodge, it does seem a bit more affordable compared to other options? I might as well take a night or two at Wildsumaco or something nearby if that's possible budgetwise.

Thanks for the help so far. I understand the Amazon might not offer as many birds compared to other places, however I've always wanted to visit the Amazon and the adventure is also part of the fun, as are the other animals and flora/fauna. What about the Caiman Lodge, it does seem a bit more affordable compared to other options? I might as well take a night or two at Wildsumaco or something nearby if that's possible budgetwise.
Hadn't run across that one, but I see that more birds (my target) are seen around the Napo River. Still, Caiman might satisfy what you're looking for. When I asked my gf about it (she decided where we'd stay in the Amazon) she said something about luxury and comfort. This WILL be our most expensive trip thus far (2 months) so I'm not arguing with her since 9 nights in the Amazon might push her to the limit. :) I didn't see any prices. Do you know how much Caiman charges for rooms and an English speaking guide?

Planning a trip to EC myself with my gf...as soon as her foot heals from surgery. I just wanted to share what we found in researching the Amazon. We chose 2 places to stay there and Sani Lodge offered us a great experience at a reasonable price FOR THE AMAZON. I'm a photographer but also keep a bird list and I'm not certain that the Amazon will afford you the great opportunities that you'll get elsewhere for photos. Many birds are high in the canopy or distant. Even though the Ecuadorian Amazon is probably the least expensive of all the opportunities offered by all the countries that touch that wonderful ecosystem, I think that as a photographer you'd be better served at the West Slope, as has been mentioned. Although we're planning to stay at the more expensive options there, Wild Sumaco, Cabanas de San Isidro and Guango Lodge, there are less expensive options there (you'll have to research that as we glossed over those). You can stay at a less expensive lodging and take a taxi to one of the lodges, pay a day rate and photo there. Make sure that those lodges still offer that for non-guests. Good luck!
I want to make a slight argument of most reasonable price in the Amazon region as from my experience in Guyana, we spent 6 nights in the rainforest part of the country, plus 2 nights in the savanna and 2 nights in the coast for less than $4k per person in a 3 person group. Outside of the waiting time for the lodges to become available, I'd say that Guyana gives a better dollar for your time than other Amazonian destinations, plus they give you access to see not only widespread but sought after birds like Harpy Eagle, 5 different Macaw species and Hoatzin, but also regional endemics and many rarities like Guianan Cock-of-the-Rock, Capuchinbird and Rufous Potoo. If you are looking for an Amazon experience by the river, then Ecuador is probably your best option (although I think the Amazon lodges in Southern Ecuador offer better deals), but if you want to do it overland and also have a chance of seeing many of the South American icons like Giant Anteater, Giant River Otter and Black Caiman, I'd say Guyana is a better deal.

Also the 3 lodges you mentioned in the East slope offer great photographic opportunities if you stick around the feeders, so I'm sure you'll get many great shots!

I want to make a slight argument of most reasonable price in the Amazon region as from my experience in Guyana, we spent 6 nights in the rainforest part of the country, plus 2 nights in the savanna and 2 nights in the coast for less than $4k per person in a 3 person group. Outside of the waiting time for the lodges to become available, I'd say that Guyana gives a better dollar for your time than other Amazonian destinations, plus they give you access to see not only widespread but sought after birds like Harpy Eagle, 5 different Macaw species and Hoatzin, but also regional endemics and many rarities like Guianan Cock-of-the-Rock, Capuchinbird and Rufous Potoo. If you are looking for an Amazon experience by the river, then Ecuador is probably your best option (although I think the Amazon lodges in Southern Ecuador offer better deals), but if you want to do it overland and also have a chance of seeing many of the South American icons like Giant Anteater, Giant River Otter and Black Caiman, I'd say Guyana is a better deal.

Also the 3 lodges you mentioned in the East slope offer great photographic opportunities if you stick around the feeders, so I'm sure you'll get many great shots!
That does sound like a good deal! I was quoting information I read that EC is the cheapest Amazon destination although we did choose one very expensive spot in the Ecuadorian Amazon...Napo Lodge to go along with the less expensive Sani Lodge. Our quote for 7 nights in those 2 lodges is $3250. each for 2 people with English speaking personal guides. Some of the birds you mentioned are our quarry also.

Hadn't run across that one, but I see that more birds (my target) are seen around the Napo River. Still, Caiman might satisfy what you're looking for. When I asked my gf about it (she decided where we'd stay in the Amazon) she said something about luxury and comfort. This WILL be our most expensive trip thus far (2 months) so I'm not arguing with her since 9 nights in the Amazon might push her to the limit. :) I didn't see any prices. Do you know how much Caiman charges for rooms and an English speaking guide?

I can't really justify spending several thousands for just one week, however I don't have to please a GF and I guess I'm a bit more used to primitive accomodations (went to Arfak Mountains, Indonesia)

According to their website these are the costs for Caiman Lodge:

Costs:

• $240 US per person 3 days 2 nights
  • $290 US per person 4 days 3 nights
  • $330 US per person 5 days 4 nights
However it sounds a bit too good to be true, so maybe I'm missing something.

Kichwa quoted me 500$ for 3N4D, 850$ for 6N7D in Cuyabeno, they also ave a 2N3D Yasuni/3N4D Cuyabeno combo for $1100 (looks like a night is missing here, info wasn't very clear so might be missing something). This is including river transportation. Still sounds kinda affordable. The bus trip takes quite a long time though, something like 8 hours. I wonder if it's quicker to take a bus starting from somewhere around the east slope instead of Quito

I can't really justify spending several thousands for just one week, however I don't have to please a GF and I guess I'm a bit more used to primitive accomodations (went to Arfak Mountains, Indonesia)

According to their website these are the costs for Caiman Lodge:

Costs:

• $240 US per person 3 days 2 nights
  • $290 US per person 4 days 3 nights
  • $330 US per person 5 days 4 nights
However it sounds a bit too good to be true, so maybe I'm missing something.

Kichwa quoted me 500$ for 3N4D, 850$ for 6N7D in Cuyabeno, they also ave a 2N3D Yasuni/3N4D Cuyabeno combo for $1100 (looks like a night is missing here, info wasn't very clear so might be missing something). This is including river transportation. Still sounds kinda affordable. The bus trip takes quite a long time though, something like 8 hours. I wonder if it's quicker to take a bus starting from somewhere around the east slope instead of Quito
Yeah, I'll stay anywhere so long as the tap water isn't brown, but my gf... Looking at your costs for Caiman, I wonder if guiding is included? Just in case you didn't see this on ebird, at Caiman Lodge there aren't nearly as many species reported as the nearby Cuyabeno Lodge. Also, there are few reports from Caiman. Maybe it's a new lodge?

Yeah, I'll stay anywhere so long as the tap water isn't brown, but my gf... Looking at your costs for Caiman, I wonder if guiding is included? Just in case you didn't see this on ebird, at Caiman Lodge there aren't nearly as many species reported as the nearby Cuyabeno Lodge. Also, there are few reports from Caiman. Maybe it's a new lodge?
I guess Caiman is more focused on the general public, not necessarily birds. There's quite a bit of info on Google. Lodging is in shared cabin, that's probably why it's cheaper. As for the tap water, apparently there's a lake nearby to swim in

I guess Caiman is more focused on the general public, not necessarily birds. There's quite a bit of info on Google. Lodging is in shared cabin, that's probably why it's cheaper. As for the tap water, apparently there's a lake nearby to swim in
Ah, that makes sense. I mentioned the brown water because we stayed in a national park in Senegal where the water ran brown. Needless to say we opted for bottled rather than our Steri-Pen purification method.

You might want to take a look at my December report on my stay at Kallary Kausay, a less expensive option for the Napo:

Combined with Olger Licuy's guiding this was a great and more affordable trip.

You might want to take a look at my December report on my stay at Kallary Kausay, a less expensive option for the Napo:

Thanks Jon. I'll definitely check it out!

Thanks, I already saw your report. I'm afraid $280 dollar a day is not really an option. Might be cheap compared to other options but still way too much.
On a sidenote, I'm quite baffled by birding trip prices in general, 5000$ often doesn't even cover two weeks. I guess the average birder has deeper pockets
For reference, a trip of the same duration on a scuba diving liveaboard is about 3000$ all inclusive. That's without tickets but does include running a boat, meals, refilling tanks and multiple guides.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back