• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador bird photography mid September - start of October (1 Viewer)

You could get a taxi from Quito airport to Yellow House and then use taxis or buses from there, as some have done. Yellow House could also help with some logistic arrangements. I opted for a professional guide, Jorge Luna, who for $130/day provided excellent birding knowledge, good English communication, and also a 4x4 SUV included in the price. (Hiring a similar vehicle alone would cost $100 including insurance.) All in all a very good deal, and a good guy as well! I can send you his contact details in a Private Message (don't like to post these on a public forum without permission).
J
Hi I'm a bit confused, is Wild Sumaco considered upper amazon basin or cloud forest? I have been in contact with a couple of companies looking at options for a 2 week tailor made tour in November. We were looking to focus on the andes and cloud forest rather than the amazon, (as we're thinking about leaving amazon for a future trip maybe in conjunction with Galapagos) and neither option currently includes this lodge. We're both birder photographers with keen interest in mammals as well. Company 1 has suggested covering the following sites, company 2 has said they can cover the same but that they have some better sites to think about for photography but haven't been specific about that, and say it will be determined by local conditions as to where we should go. :

05-Nov 16:15 PM HJ Arrival to Ecuador.

• Giant Hummingbird Reserve & Penas Blancas "Rainbow Bearded-Thornbill" Birding Road
  • Antisana Andean Condor & Wildlife Reserve, La Mica Lake, Ecuadorian Hillstar Nest
  • Cotopaxi National Park Base Camp Hike, Possible Andean Fox
  • Zuro Loma Antpittas, Yanacocha Reserve, Old Nono Mindo Road
  • Andean Cock of the Rock Lek, San Tadeo Tanagers and Sunbittern Reserve. Night Olinguito and Kinkajuo Feeders.
  • Plate-billed Mountain Toucan Reserve and Milpe Birding Sanctuary
  • Umbrellabird Lek and Suamox Woodpecker Feeders
  • Mashpi Amagusa Reserve & Alambi Hummingbird Paradise
  • Papallacta Pass & Guango Torrent Duck and Grey-breasted Mountain Toucan Reserve, Night Owl Walk.
  • San Isidro Reserve, Guacamayos Ridge Black-billed Mountain Toucan. Night Owl Walk.
  • San Isidro Reserve and Las Brisas Hummingbirds. Night Owl Walk.
  • Spectacled Bear

any other excellent birding/mammal watching sites that we can consider.

19-Nov 14:30 PM Transfer Out to the Airport (17H30PM flight)

looking for twin room accommodation for two people, preferably lodges with good wildlife viewing but we don't need luxury if we'll be out all day.
so far the lodges that have been recommended to us are:

Company 1:
Andes, 5 nights Hacienda Jimenita,
west slopes, 4 nights Sachatamia Lodge,
1 night back at Hacienda Jimenita,
east slope 3 night San Isidro Lodge,
1 night back at Hacienda Jimenita then fly out.

Company 2:
Andes, 2 nights, Puembo birding garden or similar,
6 nights Sachatamia Lodge,
back to Andes, 3 nights, Puembo birding garden or similar,
2 nights Guango Lodge with San Isidro,
1 night Termas de Papallacta
return to Quito & depart.

prices are pretty much the same for both. any advice welcome.
Did you do this trip? Would love your reflections. Can we message directly, or did you post trip reports?

Hi, I'm self-organizing a trip to Ecuador focused on bird photography. I think I should be fine doing it myself but a companion would be welcome. The itinerary isn't really set yet but it will probably be focused on hummingbirds (Mindo), also I'd like to visit the Amazon forest, but I'm open for suggestions (not planning to visit the Galapagos Islands). I do priortize photography over number of species, maybe something to keep in mind. Also I'm on a bit of a budget so I won't be spending hundreds for a night, however I think there's plenty available for less, luxury is not a priority. Date is set, it's september 13th to oktober 6th. If there's anyone interested in joining feel free to PM me.
Arie: Responded to you. My trip is shaping up to be approximately the same dates as yours. I'm not shooting, but I also like spend time sitting in one spot or doing short hikes not just species-bagging. Also, I'm independent, so we might travel compatibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back