• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ecuador bird photography mid September - start of October (1 Viewer)

Thanks, I already saw your report. I'm afraid $280 dollar a day is not really an option. Might be cheap compared to other options but still way too much.
On a sidenote, I'm quite baffled by birding trip prices in general, 5000$ often doesn't even cover two weeks. I guess the average birder has deeper pockets
For reference, a trip of the same duration on a scuba diving liveaboard is about 3000$ all inclusive. That's without tickets but does include running a boat, meals, refilling tanks and multiple guides.
I guess it's what the market can bear. Our interest is very specialized. I almost always plan do-it-yourself trips and hire local guides. But, if I want to stay in the Amazon or Bhutan, that's going to cost a lot more than Mindo or Indonesia. I just priced a steelhead fly fishing lodge in Alaska for comparison at almost $7,000/week. That' my second passion and is something I will not be doing!

I guess it's what the market can bear. Our interest is very specialized. I almost always plan do-it-yourself trips and hire local guides. But, if I want to stay in the Amazon or Bhutan, that's going to cost a lot more than Mindo or Indonesia. I just priced a steelhead fly fishing lodge in Alaska for comparison at almost $7,000/week. That' my second passion and is something I will not be doing!
Yeah, when self-organizing a trip prices are very dependent on location. However all pre-organized birding trips are really expensive regardless of location in my experience. You're right though, it is specialized.

We are actually going to Ecuador for 2.5 weeks self organized as well in September. We were also looking for some sort of mediocre budget.
Spending the first week on kind of a low budget in Mindo, exploring the various areas from there, moving through the high andes then to the somehow more expensive lodges on the east slope. Especially Wild Sumaco is something you dont want to miss from what i have read and heard.
For the amazon we opted not to take the option by canoe into Yasuni Nationalpark where you need to rely on the full service package but instead focussing on the Tena are, where you reach the Outskrits of Lowland Rainforest, which probably wont be the same experience but also not break the budget completely.

Thanks, I already saw your report. I'm afraid $280 dollar a day is not really an option. Might be cheap compared to other options but still way too much.
On a sidenote, I'm quite baffled by birding trip prices in general, 5000$ often doesn't even cover two weeks. I guess the average birder has deeper pockets
For reference, a trip of the same duration on a scuba diving liveaboard is about 3000$ all inclusive. That's without tickets but does include running a boat, meals, refilling tanks and multiple guides.
You're quite right, Arie, birding trip prices are getting ridiculous. But for the Napo there weren't many options, and all the standard places were quoting me way more. Caiman is cheaper but looks like its new, and isn't reporting key Napo targets like Cocha Antshrike, antpittas, jacamars, manakins, Brown Nunlet, Ecuadorian Cacique. Salvin's Curassow, Olive-spotted Hummingbird and the rest. I'd be surprised to find anywhere reasonable to stay actually on the Napo.
But your general observation on trip costs are right on target. Price increases are way above inflation, which is why I almost always choose to do things independently. So for example a week in Guatemala recently cost me USD1500, and half of that was hire car (really excessive insurance premiums). A similar commercial trip was around $3000. However the Napo is one place that's tough to do independently.

We are actually going to Ecuador for 2.5 weeks self organized as well in September. We were also looking for some sort of mediocre budget.
Spending the first week on kind of a low budget in Mindo, exploring the various areas from there, moving through the high andes then to the somehow more expensive lodges on the east slope. Especially Wild Sumaco is something you dont want to miss from what i have read and heard.
For the amazon we opted not to take the option by canoe into Yasuni Nationalpark where you need to rely on the full service package but instead focussing on the Tena are, where you reach the Outskrits of Lowland Rainforest, which probably wont be the same experience but also not break the budget completely.
Sounds like a good plan. Let me add my vote for WildSumaco for great birding, a brilliant location, and a fantastic birding owner, Jonas Nilsson. Food is excellent too (though not what I go birding for!) and the rooms are fine. I did 3 nights which was enough (and more than enough for my budget!). When it comes to the Napo good luck finding anything reasonable actually on the river. I also looked at the Tena option and staying in lower-cost places there, but decided in the end to bite the bullet and go where the majority of the birds I wanted actually were.

Yeah Lowland Rainforest will be tough, luckily there are some open areas around Tena Airport + the laguna paikawe so some birding will be easy enough. We are staying in one of the lodges near Misuahalli for 20$/night.
And jatun sacha reserve has some great birds, but of course tracking them down wont be easy.
For a first time into the neotropics outside of mexico almost everything will be new anyway, so special targeting is not needed for us.

Last edited:
Hi I'm a bit confused, is Wild Sumaco considered upper amazon basin or cloud forest? I have been in contact with a couple of companies looking at options for a 2 week tailor made tour in November. We were looking to focus on the andes and cloud forest rather than the amazon, (as we're thinking about leaving amazon for a future trip maybe in conjunction with Galapagos) and neither option currently includes this lodge. We're both birder photographers with keen interest in mammals as well. Company 1 has suggested covering the following sites, company 2 has said they can cover the same but that they have some better sites to think about for photography but haven't been specific about that, and say it will be determined by local conditions as to where we should go. :

05-Nov 16:15 PM HJ Arrival to Ecuador.

• Giant Hummingbird Reserve & Penas Blancas "Rainbow Bearded-Thornbill" Birding Road
  • Antisana Andean Condor & Wildlife Reserve, La Mica Lake, Ecuadorian Hillstar Nest
  • Cotopaxi National Park Base Camp Hike, Possible Andean Fox
  • Zuro Loma Antpittas, Yanacocha Reserve, Old Nono Mindo Road
  • Andean Cock of the Rock Lek, San Tadeo Tanagers and Sunbittern Reserve. Night Olinguito and Kinkajuo Feeders.
  • Plate-billed Mountain Toucan Reserve and Milpe Birding Sanctuary
  • Umbrellabird Lek and Suamox Woodpecker Feeders
  • Mashpi Amagusa Reserve & Alambi Hummingbird Paradise
  • Papallacta Pass & Guango Torrent Duck and Grey-breasted Mountain Toucan Reserve, Night Owl Walk.
  • San Isidro Reserve, Guacamayos Ridge Black-billed Mountain Toucan. Night Owl Walk.
  • San Isidro Reserve and Las Brisas Hummingbirds. Night Owl Walk.
  • Spectacled Bear

any other excellent birding/mammal watching sites that we can consider.

19-Nov 14:30 PM Transfer Out to the Airport (17H30PM flight)

looking for twin room accommodation for two people, preferably lodges with good wildlife viewing but we don't need luxury if we'll be out all day.
so far the lodges that have been recommended to us are:

Company 1:
Andes, 5 nights Hacienda Jimenita,
west slopes, 4 nights Sachatamia Lodge,
1 night back at Hacienda Jimenita,
east slope 3 night San Isidro Lodge,
1 night back at Hacienda Jimenita then fly out.

Company 2:
Andes, 2 nights, Puembo birding garden or similar,
6 nights Sachatamia Lodge,
back to Andes, 3 nights, Puembo birding garden or similar,
2 nights Guango Lodge with San Isidro,
1 night Termas de Papallacta
return to Quito & depart.

prices are pretty much the same for both. any advice welcome.

Hi I'm a bit confused, is Wild Sumaco considered upper amazon basin or cloud forest? I have been in contact with a couple of companies looking at options for a 2 week tailor made tour in November. We were looking to focus on the andes and cloud forest rather than the amazon, (as we're thinking about leaving amazon for a future trip maybe in conjunction with Galapagos) and neither option currently includes this lodge. We're both birder photographers with keen interest in mammals as well. Company 1 has suggested covering the following sites, company 2 has said they can cover the same but that they have some better sites to think about for photography but haven't been specific about that, and say it will be determined by local conditions as to where we should go. :

05-Nov 16:15 PM HJ Arrival to Ecuador.

• Giant Hummingbird Reserve & Penas Blancas "Rainbow Bearded-Thornbill" Birding Road
  • Antisana Andean Condor & Wildlife Reserve, La Mica Lake, Ecuadorian Hillstar Nest
  • Cotopaxi National Park Base Camp Hike, Possible Andean Fox
  • Zuro Loma Antpittas, Yanacocha Reserve, Old Nono Mindo Road
  • Andean Cock of the Rock Lek, San Tadeo Tanagers and Sunbittern Reserve. Night Olinguito and Kinkajuo Feeders.
  • Plate-billed Mountain Toucan Reserve and Milpe Birding Sanctuary
  • Umbrellabird Lek and Suamox Woodpecker Feeders
  • Mashpi Amagusa Reserve & Alambi Hummingbird Paradise
  • Papallacta Pass & Guango Torrent Duck and Grey-breasted Mountain Toucan Reserve, Night Owl Walk.
  • San Isidro Reserve, Guacamayos Ridge Black-billed Mountain Toucan. Night Owl Walk.
  • San Isidro Reserve and Las Brisas Hummingbirds. Night Owl Walk.
  • Spectacled Bear

any other excellent birding/mammal watching sites that we can consider.

19-Nov 14:30 PM Transfer Out to the Airport (17H30PM flight)

looking for twin room accommodation for two people, preferably lodges with good wildlife viewing but we don't need luxury if we'll be out all day.
so far the lodges that have been recommended to us are:

Company 1:
Andes, 5 nights Hacienda Jimenita,
west slopes, 4 nights Sachatamia Lodge,
1 night back at Hacienda Jimenita,
east slope 3 night San Isidro Lodge,
1 night back at Hacienda Jimenita then fly out.

Company 2:
Andes, 2 nights, Puembo birding garden or similar,
6 nights Sachatamia Lodge,
back to Andes, 3 nights, Puembo birding garden or similar,
2 nights Guango Lodge with San Isidro,
1 night Termas de Papallacta
return to Quito & depart.

prices are pretty much the same for both. any advice welcome.
WildSumaco is cloudforest, with the benefit of lower elevation species on the road. Don't know Hacienda Jimenita and don't know if it necessitates a total of 7 nights. I'd take San Isidro over Guango as a place to stay, but certainly stop at Guango for the hummers on the way.

I’ve birded the Ecuadorian Amazon independently several times in various ways. Good / inexpensive options tend to come and go, and can depend on how mobile you are (rental car vs public transport), how good you are at collecting your own information, if you need full guiding or just a boatman, and particularly if you speak Spanish.

There are always options for basing yourself in Coca, Limoncocha, or more remotely. Gareno, for instance, has terrific birding, is affordable, and is reachable by vehicle BUT the cabins are in such a shocking state of disrepair (collapse almost) that it cannot be recommended unless you take camping gear. Sandro didn’t speak much English when I went (2015) and as I understand it the cabins have only gotten worse (we vehicle camped).

At the moment if you speak a little Spanish I would recommend a location called Sinchi Wayra. Near to Sani with access to the canopy tower and to the Cocha Antshrike. Essentially all the good birds are available/possible, though if you have particular targets of course best sites can and do change. I paid something like $600 for 4 days, don’t remember details. A lot of that is the boat to/from the lodge so longer stays or multiple passengers will reduce the cost per person per day.

Eddy Gualinga +593 99 332 7650, can reach him via WhatsApp but Spanish only.

There are always options for basing yourself in Coca, Limoncocha, or more remotely. Gareno, for instance, has terrific birding, is affordable, and is reachable by vehicle BUT the cabins are in such a shocking state of disrepair (collapse almost) that it cannot be recommended unless you take camping gear. Sandro didn’t speak much English when I went (2015) and as I understand it the cabins have only gotten worse (we vehicle camped).

I recall I reading a trip report from I think the last 6 months that mentioned the owner of the Gareno lodge had passed away and the lodge is shuttered, so probably not an option, even for camping.

I visited Wildsumaco 10 years ago, and at least at that time they had an alternative housing option available (called the "biological house" or something) about a mile up the road for $30 per night. We were able to get meals provided for us by the caretaker. It's worth inquiring about this option for anyone on a budget wishing to visit the area.

Also a further note about habitat/species present - it is lower montane/foothill forest, with a mix of montane species, a few lowland species that reach their upper limits at that area, and a selection of species restricted to that particular elevation range (e.g. Copper-chested Jacamar).

I visited Wildsumaco 10 years ago, and at least at that time they had an alternative housing option available (called the "biological house" or something) about a mile up the road for $30 per night. We were able to get meals provided for us by the caretaker. It's worth inquiring about this option for anyone on a budget wishing to visit the area.

Also a further note about habitat/species present - it is lower montane/foothill forest, with a mix of montane species, a few lowland species that reach their upper limits at that area, and a selection of species restricted to that particular elevation range (e.g. Copper-chested Jacamar).
Don't know if there's any other cheaper options at WildSumaco at the moment. When I visited in December, the Biological Station was closed, and it looked like it had been that way for a while.

Hi, I'm self-organizing a trip to Ecuador focused on bird photography. I think I should be fine doing it myself but a companion would be welcome. The itinerary isn't really set yet but it will probably be focused on hummingbirds (Mindo), also I'd like to visit the Amazon forest, but I'm open for suggestions (not planning to visit the Galapagos Islands). I do priortize photography over number of species, maybe something to keep in mind. Also I'm on a bit of a budget so I won't be spending hundreds for a night, however I think there's plenty available for less, luxury is not a priority. Date is set, it's september 13th to oktober 6th. If there's anyone interested in joining feel free to PM me.

OP, did you go? How was the trip?

You could get a taxi from Quito airport to Yellow House and then use taxis or buses from there, as some have done. Yellow House could also help with some logistic arrangements. I opted for a professional guide, Jorge Luna, who for $130/day provided excellent birding knowledge, good English communication, and also a 4x4 SUV included in the price. (Hiring a similar vehicle alone would cost $100 including insurance.) All in all a very good deal, and a good guy as well! I can send you his contact details in a Private Message (don't like to post these on a public forum without permission).
hello, i just read about your post, and i would like to have Jorge luna contact, if you can send it to me . thank

Following with interest. I am thinking about taking a trip to Ecuador in November if anyone is interested in planning with me. I have an interest in both birds and mammals, photography more than listing but keen to see as much as possible without covering too much ground. Definitely keen to see plate-billed mountain toucan, hummers etc..
I'm thinking about Ecuador in November also. I'm interested in (in order, kinda): birds, plants, snorkeling, public gardens, "real" Ecuador (not tourist traps). I'm birding not shooting, but I'm independent and totally cool with looking at birds or wandering off a short way on my own if you're going to sit and wait. Although sometimes, I like to sit and wait, too. I'm NOT into bird-bagging (running around maxing out species seen) but more interested in spending a couple of days here/there. I have some funds but am not looking for luxury (except maybe for a Galápagos tour, where birding/snorkeling is top priority).

I want to make a slight argument of most reasonable price in the Amazon region as from my experience in Guyana, we spent 6 nights in the rainforest part of the country, plus 2 nights in the savanna and 2 nights in the coast for less than $4k per person in a 3 person group. Outside of the waiting time for the lodges to become available, I'd say that Guyana gives a better dollar for your time than other Amazonian destinations, plus they give you access to see not only widespread but sought after birds like Harpy Eagle, 5 different Macaw species and Hoatzin, but also regional endemics and many rarities like Guianan Cock-of-the-Rock, Capuchinbird and Rufous Potoo. If you are looking for an Amazon experience by the river, then Ecuador is probably your best option (although I think the Amazon lodges in Southern Ecuador offer better deals), but if you want to do it overland and also have a chance of seeing many of the South American icons like Giant Anteater, Giant River Otter and Black Caiman, I'd say Guyana is a better deal.

Also the 3 lodges you mentioned in the East slope offer great photographic opportunities if you stick around the feeders, so I'm sure you'll get many great shots!
Yah, I'm heading to Ecuador, too. Thanks for confirming that about the Amazon. I was thinking of spending much more time on the East Slope, boat in the Galápagos, going down to Cuenca. (And I have also had foot surgeries. Happy healing to your gf. It gets a lot better.)

You could get a taxi from Quito airport to Yellow House and then use taxis or buses from there, as some have done. Yellow House could also help with some logistic arrangements. I opted for a professional guide, Jorge Luna, who for $130/day provided excellent birding knowledge, good English communication, and also a 4x4 SUV included in the price. (Hiring a similar vehicle alone would cost $100 including insurance.) All in all a very good deal, and a good guy as well! I can send you his contact details in a Private Message (don't like to post these on a public forum without permission).
Please send. (Will message you, too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back