• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Ethereal" moments in time.. (1 Viewer)

Scott67

Exhausted !
Hope this has'nt been brought up before..

We all like to feel "at one" with nature, especially when out in the field, but there is always one defining moment that you will always remember, perhaps its Swifts screaming over head, or lapwings Sky-Dancing etc,

My own ethereal moment was about 20 years ago in North west Scotland as a young(ish) boy, on holiday with my parents, whilst out one evening we stopped the car to enjoy the sunset, it was at that point I heard a Diver wailing (I think we identified it as a Black throated at the time) I will never ever forget the sound, and more importantly the sensation when the hairs on the back of my neck rose, I would imagine hearing wild wolves calling would have the same effect.

One moment in time never forgotten.

I'd love to hear your moments...

Scott.

Sorry, I feel I should have one, but I don't. I was brought up in a family of amateur naturalists. It was more a fact of life.

We did have a thread going recently, though, on our defining moment as birders (or something like that)-- unfortunately I can't remember the title well enough to 'search' it for you...

Anyway, I know what you mean, Scott.

Hi Scott

I never cease to get a thrill every time I see and hear the first swifts of the year arriving. Bit of a cliche but for me it's always one of those 'magic moments'. First time I saw red kites in Wales and an avocet at Minsmere was also a bit special.

Hi James. Buzzards have increased in our part of the Midlands over the last 10 years. I am very lucky as sometimes I see up to 6 birds circling from our garden. Hope you get them soon James. Cheers John.

Those geese must be a fantastic sight Michael.

Last edited:
James, I live in Kent and have seen buzzards here twice now. I don't know if they were resident or just passing through but the terrritory would be perfect.

My 'ethereal moment' would have to be watching five individual barn owls all hunting at the same time in Norfolk. I was on a boat at the time with my family, some good friends, good wine, good food and a spectacular sunset. Oh yes.......

Woody

Hi Scott,
Standing on top of a particular mountain in mid-Wales watching buzzards and red kites circling below as the farmer puts out their daily meal is a sight of which I will never tire.

A short poem about this topic, written in a tent in Wales:

The flight of red kites and dozens of buzzards,
and herons and dippers and corncrakes,
can't compare with the sight of James in the night
finding a mouse in the cornflakes.

Hi Woody,
James says he's heard of Kent buzzard sightings. Where did you see yours?

HI SCOT.
sitting in my favorite hide at martin-mere in winter, watching
the skeins of pinkfeet coming home. the sight-sound wow.
bert.

Laying on my back on a river bank, as a boy in Argyll, watching a Peregrine circling lazily in a clear blue sky, so high she was hardly recognisable. Almost imperceptibly she began to glide, then turn over and drop like a stone in the most perfect stoop I've ever seen.

A Golden Eagle, being mobbed by a Buzzard, suddenly rising up on the updraught created by a small cliff I happened to be sitting above, just a few yards away from me.

Wigeon flighting into a tiny freshwater flood - only yards from the ditch I lay hidden in - at first light, for a drink and a brush-up before flighting to their daytime roost on the estuary. There were around a hundred birds trying to fit onto a minute stretch of water. They were in a joyous mood after a nights feeding - the splashing, whistling and growling was magical.

And Charles, I do know what you mean, as I too was brought up in a family of naturalists/hunters, but there are still moments in my life that stand out above other, perhaps more significant landmarks (ie. the sighting of a rare bird), simply because of the surroundings, the solitude or - oppositely - one's companions, or the unexpectedness of the scene that unfolds.

saluki

These moments in time are the things that make wildlife the most important aspect of my life, i always feel privileged to be an observer of these events.

Hi Geraldine/James

One buzzard sighting was above a wooded hillside which leads down to the village of Boxley Near Maidstone. The bird was ridge soaring using the updraught from the hill.

The second was in the same general area more or less above the Kent county showground at Detling. Could have been the same bird but I like to hope that it was a pair as both were seen in summer 2002.

I scout around the Stockbury valley a lot but I've had sight nor sound for the last two years.... Ahh well maybe next year!

Woody

Thousands of Pinkfeet flighting at dawn around the Wash on a frosty December morning, both on the Norfolk and Lincolnshire side. I have enjoyed this sight hundreds of times for over 60 years and still get a thrill!!!

Sitting under a dead tree watching a female European Nightjar (Caprimulgus europaeus) feeding her 2 chicks, whilst the male sat 5 feet above me, churring away. The distant traffic noise of the motorway and the orange glow of the street lights on the horizon somehow added to the whole scene. To this day I have seen nothing else as beautiful and doubt that I ever will.

Mines got to be about 7 years ago when i was 9 and i was watching with me dad when he stoped me walking because there was alittle owl 10 foot in front of us! My first little owl! And then when i saw a rare bird down the valley, little stint, finding a cattle egret. Last year when a honey buzzard flew over my house, i went cold and couldnt breathe as i live in the middle of london. Amazing!

The First Redwings & fieldfares of the Autumn.

watching the Brent Goose Migration off Lowestoft in September & October.

Driving through a road in Buckinghamshire, cleared of snow with drifts five or six feet high on either side. As I drove slowly along the road, four weasel kittens slid down the snow onto the road in front of me. I stopped the car and watched them for about three minutes, only a few feet in front of me. As I watched, a bird of prey (a don't know which) swooped down and took one of them.

Either incident would have been memorable, but to see them both at the same time was a real privelege.

Dick Byford

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back