• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding nestlings. (1 Viewer)

Pecksniff

United Kingdom
I currently have a couple of robin families with chicks and I am running low on live mealworms. Can the youngsters tolerate dead mealworms if they have been boiled first? Don't want to do any harm.

Are you rescue feeding the nestlings or are you putting out food that the adults are feeding to the young?

Thanks. I'm putting out the food for the adults, and I'm not certain if the chicks have hatched or the cock is feeding the hen. Just want to be sure not to harm the chicks. These are European robins, by the way. Edit. Just received news my new mealworms should arrive tomorrow, probably OK now.

I currently have a couple of robin families with chicks and I am running low on live mealworms. Can the youngsters tolerate dead mealworms if they have been boiled first? Don't want to do any harm.
Feed them dried mealworms or calcium worms if you've run out of live food.......no need to boil. The adults will supplement this with natural items as well. Don't overdo it though.
I doubt you'd have two pairs in the one garden as they're so territorial but maybe they overlap.
Good luck.

Feed them dried mealworms or calcium worms if you've run out of live food.......no need to boil. The adults will supplement this with natural items as well. Don't overdo it though.
I doubt you'd have two pairs in the one garden as they're so territorial but maybe they overlap.
Good luck.
Thanks, Pyrtle. I was rather surprised at seeing this many robins, but the cocks have been very aggresive to one another. Regular punch-ups, but so far no harm done. We used to have one, some years ago, and he would fly in when the kitchen door was open, and sit on the swing-bin demanding breakfast. Attached a picture of him being fed by my wife.

Attachments

• Rachel with the Robin.png
    Rachel with the Robin.png
    1 MB · Views: 7
Same here, plenty of chest out scraps for a few weeks but seems much calmer at the moment. The male won't come to hand but sings and perches very close to the feeder till its topped up.

Hi Pecksniff and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. All my birds seem to like the dried mealworms I get. I do soak in cold water overnight, but it isn't necessary, as I add them still dry to the food which goes in the hanging feeders and the trays. They still love them!

They might feed live mealworms to the young, but don't think they give the dried ones to them. The adults do like them for themselves though, saves time foraging for themselves leaving more time for them to go hunting for caterpillars for the nestlings.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Easy done LOL

Click on your name in the fixed bar above this thread. Then on the screen that opens, select Preferences in the LH pane. Decide what you want to change and don't forget to Save when you've finished.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back