• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finally, I found a pair of Leica BN 8x32's on eBay. (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I have been looking for a nice pair of Leica Trinovid BN 8x32's for a while now, without much luck. It seems many sellers want too much for them for the condition they are in. There is one seller on eBay that wants $1400 for a LNIB pair! They have become a high demand collector's item because a lot of people still desire them for their tough as nails build quality, great ergonomics and excellent optics. I had a pair a few years ago, and I always liked them for their rich saturated colors which are not as harsh in the newer UVHD+, being more subtle because of the leaded glass used in these. Most importantly, the eye relief matches the eye cup length perfectly, and I don't get any blackouts with them. I prefer them over the Zeiss Victory 8x25 compacts because I don't have to float them in front of my eyes, and they have a slightly larger FOV and being a 32 mm they are a little brighter in low light. Overall they are not much bigger than the Zeiss either. There was a pair on eBay with a starting bid of $500, so I just threw in a snipe bid at $600 and much to my surprise I got them for $535. When I received them they had a few smudges on them which I cleaned off, and now they look like new, and they are S/N 1529844, so they were produced well after the 145 S/N when there was an improvement in coatings. They came with the leather case but no strap, objective covers or rain guard. I had a Vero Vellini strap and I just HAPPENED to have Swarovski tethered objective covers that fit perfectly and an Opticron Rain guard that also fit perfectly! Talk about lucky. After using them, I remember why I like them so much. They have such a natural saturated colorful view, and the binoculars themselves will probably last forever. From a review on Allbinos.

"I have the 8x32 BA, and it is an absolute gem. The "look" of these lead glass versions are so much more pleasing to the eye (IMO). They produce a more "natural" look and a beautifully relaxed experience. I do not think any manufacturer has equalled the look from this classic...even Leica's New offerings in the HD version seem to produce a harsh image as compared to the beauty and subtle tones of the original Trinovid BA. A masterpiece not yet equalled in my books."

Attachments

• P2150081.JPG
    P2150081.JPG
    912.3 KB · Views: 103
  • P2150082.JPG
    P2150082.JPG
    934.8 KB · Views: 98
  • P2150083.JPG
    P2150083.JPG
    823.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Lovely, congratulations. The BAs may have started out with leaded glass, but is it known when this changed? We still use both our (10x) BN and HD+, which I've never found "harsh" in comparison, just a bit different, and sometimes better in showing subtle details. With all the advances in coatings it's amazing how well a BN holds up in comparison, and the 32s at least seem a comfortable weight. I'm sure they'll last as long as you need them to.

I picked up a very serviceable pair back in January 147.....

Really enjoying them and still surprisingly capable.

What's CA control on these like? and any thoughts on the 32's vs 42s?
The Trinovid BN 42's are good also. I had a Trinovid BN 7x42, and it was excellent, although they are a little on the heavy side, but that is because of the great build quality. The little BN 8x32 only weighs 22 oz. and it is very small. I forgot how small they are! A lot of Leica's are heavier than the competition, but that is because they are built like a tank. The Noctivid 8x42 is about 31 oz. but the build quality is amazing. The CA on the Trinovid BN 8x32 is good in the center, but there is a little more CA on the edge than the UVHD+ but it doesn't bother me in normal use. The view in the Trinovid BN 8x32 is just a more natural and real than the UVHD+. If you can pick up a pair for $500 like I did, they are pretty hard to beat for a small, compact birding binocular. The UVHD+ with the Schott HD glass will be a little brighter and have a little less CA, but you will pay $2K. IMO, the difference between the two is not worth $1500. The thing about Leica's is they ENHANCE reality! Swarovski's and Zeiss show you reality, but Leica's make the view look better than it is in reality. The Noctivids are like that. Once you get used to them, it is hard to go back to the colder, harsh, reality of a Zeiss or Swarovski. The Noctivids are like going to Disney World or wearing color enhancing glasses. They make you feel warm and fuzzy. Zeiss and Swarovski's have a real view, whereas, Leica's have a beautiful view.

Last edited:
Do you still have them then Dennis? Or are you going by memory??? I thought you only now have a Nikon 8x30 EII and a NL 10x32?? Just curious!!
I just picked up the Leica Trinovid BN 8x32 up on eBay. Right now I have the Swarovski NL 10x32, Leica Noctivid(Green) 8x42, Nikon EII 8x30, Maven Monocular CM1 8x32 and the Leica Trinovid BN 8x32. I change binoculars more often than I change my socks, so this could be different by the time you read this!:LOL:

I hunted for 10+ years with a Leica 10x42BN. Fact is that most any $500 bino today has as good or better glass.
But will the focus and eye cups on those $500.00 glass continue to work on many made today after three months of use?, They sure as hell will not last 10 years IMO.

I hunted for 10+ years with a Leica 10x42BN. Fact is that most any $500 bino today has as good or better glass.
Nah, when you get a good Leica Trinovid BN 8x32, you are basically getting a UVHD+ for 1/4 of the money. Leica hasn't changed their binocular optical formula much until probably the Noctivid which is flat field and has a larger FOV. The BN actually has better build quality IMO than the UVHD+ being built like a tank, and it has unique optical properties with more subtle saturated colors and a more relaxed view than the newer UVHD+ that many people prefer. Also, in my case I prefer the ergonomics of the BN over the UVHD+ especially because the eye relief and eye cup length more closely matches my eye socket depth, so I don't get blackouts with the BN like I do with the UVHD+. That is why they are fetching so much on the used market with some people asking as much as $1400. People buy a new UVHD+ and they realize they liked their older BN better. The BN and BA are a legendary binocular and will continue to appreciate in value.

@[email protected] I totally understand what you mean about the more relaxed view. I have a Trinovid 8x42 (40008) and although very close to the UV+ it's not quite as bright or 'poppy', but I often enjoy more relaxed view as you've described above. I can imagine the BN/BA is even better in this respect.

Last edited:
When I picked up mine I compared it to a mint UVHD+, for me the improvement in transmission and dynamic range on the UVHD+ was clearly evident, which is not surprising given the years between them, however the UV was £700 more expensive, and I really wanted the BN, besides my SF is my main optic so the last word in clarity was`nt my objective.

When you compare the numbers at Allbinos on the Leica UVHD+ 10x42 versus the BN 10x42, you see very few differences. Transmission, CA, Astigmatism, Coma and Edge Sharpness are all about the same. Distortion is lower in the UVHD+ but the BN is superior in I/R, so it probably handles glare better. There is really not a lot of difference.

When you compare the numbers at Allbinos on the Leica UVHD+ 10x42 versus the BN 10x42, you see very few differences. Transmission, CA, Astigmatism, Coma and Edge Sharpness are all about the same. Distortion is lower in the UVHD+ but the BN is superior in I/R, so it probably handles glare better. There is really not a lot of difference.

Is the allbinos.com link your signature now? I guess it does save you a lot of copy-pasting

Congrats, den! Sounds like the BN bins are some pretty sweet BNs.

"Don't turn your back on love", my friend!

As Janis Joplin so aptly foretold... "Get 'em while you can!"

In this world, if you read this forum, darling
You know everybody's fighting on with each other
You got no one you can count on, dear
Not even your own bin brother
So if some BN comes along
It's gonna give you some love and affection
I'd say get 'em while you can, yeah
Honey, get 'em while you can yeah
Hey, hey, get 'em while you can
Don't you turn your back on love, no, no
Don't you know when you're loving any bin, baby
You're taking a gamble on a little sorrow
But then who cares, baby
'Cause we may not be here tomorrow, no
And if any BN should come along
It's gonna give you any love and affection
I'd say get 'em while you can, yeah
Don't you turn your back on love
No no no, no no no no no
Oh, get 'em while you can
Honey get 'em when you're gonna wanna need 'em dear, yeah yeah
Hey hey, get 'em while you can
No no no, no no no no, get 'em while you can yeah
I said hold on to some BN when you get a little lonely, dear
Hey hey, hold on to that BN's heart
Yeah, get 'em, want 'em, hold 'em, need 'em
Get 'em, want 'em, need 'em, hold 'em
Get 'em while you can
Honey get 'em while you can, baby, yeah
Hey hey, get 'em while you can...

Otherwise, failing a score on a sweet pair of 8x32 BNs, you can fall back on the 8x32 Ultravid HD+ bins, sweet... though they will likely cost you a fair bit more than a used pair of BNs.

Last edited:
Congrats, den! Sounds like the BN bins are pretty nice bins. "Don't turn your back on love", my friend! As Janis Joplin so aptly foretold... "Get it while you can!"

In this world, if you read the forum, darling
You know everybody's fighting on with each other
You got no one you can count on, dear
Not even your own bin brother
So if some BN comes along
It's gonna give you some love and affection
I'd say get it while you can, yeah
Honey, get it while you can yeah
Hey, hey, get it while you can
Don't you turn your back on love, no, no
Don't you know when you're loving any bin, baby
You're taking a gamble on a little sorrow
But then who cares, baby
'Cause we may not be here tomorrow, no
And if any BN should come along
It's gonna give you any love and affection
I'd say get it while you can, yeah
No no no, no no no no no
Oh, get it while you can
Honey get it when you're gonna wanna need it dear, yeah yeah
Hey hey, get it while you can
No no no, no no no no, get it while you can yeah
I said hold on to some BN when you get a little lonely, dear
Hey hey, hold on to that BN's heart
Yeah, get it, want it, hold it, need it
Get it, want it, need it, hold it
Get it while you can
Honey get it while you can, baby, yeah
Hey hey, get it while you can

Otherwise, failing a score on a sweet pair of 8x32 BNs, the 8x32 Ultravid HD+ bins are sweet... though they will likely cost you a fair bit more than a used pair of BNs.
I have the Leica Noctivid 8x42, why would I mess around with a UVHD+? I didn't think the Noctivid would be that much better than the UVHD+but it is. It has a much bigger FOV and sharper edges. The on-axis sharpness of the Noctivid is impressive, and the build quality is excellent. It would be nice to see a Noctivid 8x32 with a bigger FOV and sharper edges than the UVHD+ in a nice small format. I always liked Janis Joplin. When she would perform, it was just electric.

Last edited:
A Tract Toric demo will cost around $500, and will easily run circles around the older BN's, optically speaking.
Tract Toric's FOV are too puny. The Tract Toric 8x42 has a tiny 377 foot FOV and the Leica BN 8x42 has a 426 foot FOV. C'mon, which one would be better for birding? That is a HUGE difference. Tract's are like looking through a keyhole! Even the little Zeiss Victory 8x25 has a bigger FOV than a Tract. Tract don't want to spend the money for a more sophisticated eyepiece to get a bigger FOV. They don't hold a candle to Leica when it comes to build quality, either. They don't make a sweet little 8x32 like the BN. IMO, the Tracts are more for the hunting crowd.

Last edited:
When I picked up mine I compared it to a mint UVHD+, for me the improvement in transmission and dynamic range on the UVHD+ was clearly evident, which is not surprising given the years between them, however the UV was £700 more expensive, and I really wanted the BN, besides my SF is my main optic so the last word in clarity was`nt my objective.
What do you mean by dynamic range? Do you mean the transmission values were more consistent through the entire light spectrum?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back