• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Butterflies 2024 (1 Viewer)

Pretty sure I had a Small Tortoiseshell on Sunday but it was staying high around some tree tops sunning itself. Possible? Pretty sure it wasn't a Comma but didn't have any decent bins with me.

Brimstones and Red Admirals in my south Hants garden last week w/b 04/03 and my first
Marmalde Hoverfly Episyrphus balteatus on 8th March along with another local Adder, male this time.

Hoverflies have been quite frequent this week. Lots of marmalade and tapered drone fly. Still only had one red admiral butterfly wise this year

Started the year well with 5 Red Admirals in Jan/Feb but nothing for about 3 weeks- been pretty little sunshine.

Today went to Dick Fock's Common for certain bird species & we had at least 10 male Brimstones, 2 Peacock, Comma & 2 Red Admirals. Though they didn't settle probably 2 or 3 Orange Underwings near the birches.

Last Saturday added my first Small Tortoiseshell on a Tree Heather.

Today at Kew Gardens 8 male & a female Brimstone, 2 Peacocks & my first Holly Blue of the season.

Plenty of bees with many Buff-tailed Bumblebees & Hairy-footed Flower Bees (interest to see a female with 2 attendant males visiting Toothwort), a couple of Common Carder Bees & singletons of Andrena clarkella & A. flavipes. hoverflies seen were a couple of Melanostoma sp, Eristalis sp & an Epistrophe eligans.

a single basking Hairy Shieldbug plus several 7-spot Ladybirds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back