• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Swallow? (1 Viewer)

bristolbirder

I have just had an email from my birding son to say that he saw a Swallow on some telegraph wires just outside Bristol. This seems very early. Has there been any other reports yet?

Steve

Not on Birdguides. There were a couple of reports of Martins last week, but no Swallows and perhaps more surprisingly no Wheatears yet.

First Swallows in the Netherlands on Friday. I don't think they'll survive: almost –10 °C the last two nights (and by day, just warm enough to turn everything to mud!)...

dbradnum said:
Several Sand Martins in the SW today... Swallows are usually not far behind!

and some wheatears per Birdguides. Can't see us getting any here looking at our weather with 6 inches of snow still on the ground!

I was at the local leisure centre when a bird flew up onto or into the roof it was only a glance but looked like a swallow. There was only one so I dismissed it. The roof is corrugated it could have been a swallow. Will keep looking ;)

willowa said:
I was at the local leisure centre when a bird flew up onto or into the roof it was only a glance but looked like a swallow. There was only one so I dismissed it. The roof is corrugated it could have been a swallow. Will keep looking ;)

Chase 'em back down South, Willowa if you see any - its still a bit cold up there isn't it?! ;)

deborah4 said:
Chase 'em back down South, Willowa if you see any - its still a bit cold up there isn't it?! ;)

A bit cold is an understatement I am freezing. We had sleety snow yesterday. The birds are eating everything put out.

willowa said:
A bit cold is an understatement I am freezing. We had sleety snow yesterday. The birds are eating everything put out.

Yeah, mine too!! Perhaps we should send them all back to Africa :'D

Seriously tho, hope the Euro migrants survive - its looking bleak everywhere

Have a look at Metcheck.com , www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME Promising some warmer weather from the Wed 22nd March . For those of you who have not used it before you can enter your postcode and then click on today then you will have the option on the left of clicking " next 7 days " or " next 8 - 14 days "

Please bear in mind that this forecast can change rapidly !!

Ashley

ashrich said:
Have a look at Metcheck.com , www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOME Promising some warmer weather from the Wed 22nd March . For those of you who have not used it before you can enter your postcode and then click on today then you will have the option on the left of clicking " next 7 days " or " next 8 - 14 days "

Please bear in mind that this forecast can change rapidly !!

Ashley

Don't forget to put these records of migrants in Britain & Ireland into BirdTrack (www.birdtrack.net) so we can all keep track of them.

Cheers
Dawn

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back