• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Swallow? (4 Viewers)

just seen my first 2006 swallow flying over my neighbours garden while tending to his dogs :king:

this is an inland sighting,40 odd miles from the coast,south norfolk.

matt

Saw my first swallow of 2006 on the 27th of March (have seen 2 more since). First year I've seen Swallow Before Sand Martin...

I saw two swallows at Downham Market (Norfolk) yesterday also blackcap, went to Rutland to see the Ospreys, showing well at Lynford centre. Alot of swallows and Martins feeding at Rutland Water, well worth the journey.

Barn Swallow

Hi,

last saturday I saw lots of Barn Swallow.
Mostly the was on west side of river Havel, which is 70 km away from Berlin.
The river is normally around 50 m wide, but now between 2 - 3 km.

Best regards
Dieter

Saw my first two swallows of the year this morning - huddled on a roadside wire near my house, with the temperature at 1 degree C. Bet they wished they'd stayed in South Africa.

Saw my first swallow on Friday 7th April at New Passage on the severn estuary near Bristol.

Rod.

Last edited:
LSB said:
Saw my first swallow of 2006 on the 27th of March (have seen 2 more since). First year I've seen Swallow Before Sand Martin...

Funnily enough LSB this is the first year I've seen Sand Martins first; they're a good three weeks earlier than last year. Here on the east coast you see swallows and HM passing through for a few days in late March/early April, then a gap of a couple of weeks before they arrive "proper".

I'm sure the pattern of migration arrivals would be fascinating if you saw it mapped out.

A

First swallow

Hello

I saw my first Swallow on Sunday. It was alone and flying over fields along a lane in Mid Hampshire. I had to look twice, but definately a Swallow

Shandyjack

Hi,we seem to have two lonely Swallows here in Belton,Norfolk.One has been here for a fortnight,the other joined him/her last week.

Having only seen 2 swallows until now we had a party of about 20 fly through this morning , together with a sudden arrival of a large amount of Swifts , too many to count as they keep switching positions all the time but about 30 to 40 of them , just came out of nowhere and are now screeching overhead .

Ashley

Here on LI, tree swallows stayed the winter! Birds in my neighborhood are getting lazy! Swallows that won't go south, brants that won't go north, and peregrines year-round (not that I mind that :bounce: ). But the barn swallows have returned.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back