• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fortrose and the Black Isle (1 Viewer)

paulwfromtheden

Off there tomorrow....Cant wait, should be great for birds. Anyone know if this is a good time for Dolphins, and if so, where abouts? My Mrs is mad for them...

From the beach at Chanonry Point. Arrive before half-tide (either going up or going down) and hope for a decent show. Usually locals also watching to give advice and help spot the dolphins.

On a good day you will get full breaches and the dolphins will come to within five yards of the beach.

Good luck, they're great!

John

From the beach at Chanonry Point. Arrive before half-tide (either going up or going down) and hope for a decent show. Usually locals also watching to give advice and help spot the dolphins.

On a good day you will get full breaches and the dolphins will come to within five yards of the beach.

Good luck, they're great!

John

Just got back from Scotland...The dolphins were amazing. They came to within 10 yards of the beach!!
Birding in Scotland is fantastic. We had five days of glorious weather in some of the most beautiful scenery you will find anywhere in the world.
The birds were magnificent, 90 species recorded, highlights were:=
  • Red Throated Diver
  • Black Throated Diver
  • Great Northern Diver
  • Slavonian Grebe
  • Eider
  • Goldeneye
  • Osprey
  • Red Kite
  • Great Skua
  • Arctic Skua (both morphs)
  • Puffin
  • Black Guillemot
  • Tree Pipit
  • Dipper
  • Common Redstart
  • Wood Warbler
  • Hooded Crow
  • Raven

A few questions for some Caledonian birders...
  • We didn't see any falcons, are they scarce?
  • Heard and saw at least 3 Wood Warblers, they are rare birds in the South, are they that common in Scotland?
  • Willow Warblers everywhere, and there was me thinking they were struggling...
  • No Spotted Flycatchers, was I too early?
  • No cresties, in spite of strenuous serching, they do exists dont they?
  • Couldn't find a Crossbill either.
I shall post some photos when I can be arsed to sort them out.
Paul

A few questions for some Caledonian birders...

• No cresties, in spite of strenuous serching, they do exists dont they?
  • Couldn't find a Crossbill either.
Paul

Sounds like a great time, we were actually on holiday the week previous and the weather was against us quite a lot of the time. [wet and windy]

As for Cresties we saw some at Loch Morlich...in fact 2 of them and also the Crossbill at the same location.

WE also went to Chanondry Point and saw the magnificent Dolphins...just a shame that day it was heavy rain.

Cresties can be difficult, the Loch Garten car park for the track to Loch thingy (not the main car park) is as reliable a site as I know, though Forest Lodge is also pretty consistent.

Wood Warbler is fairly common in the right habitat (always plenty on Ardnamurchan): I should say you just beat the Spotted Flys up there, and falcons especially Peregrines are pretty common but the size of the landscape can make them hard to spot - distance can be misleading especially in the clear air you get in the Highlands!

I'm glad the dolphins put on a good show for you.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back