• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Franklin's or Laughing Gull? SW Ohio, October 29 (1 Viewer)

qwerty5

Controversial opinion generator
United States
Just found this gull today. Laughing would be much rarer, but I would expect more of a dark hood and a smaller bill if it was Franklin's.20231029_155651.jpg

Another photo with a better angle of the bill. Also seems there should be more white in the wings for Franklin's. With regards to the hood, a quick look at Laughing Gull photos doesnt seem inconsistent with this bird, but maybe I don't know what I'm looking at.20231029_155652.jpg

After further research, I've convinced myself it's a Laughing Gull for three main reasons: the very limited hood (I can't find any example of a Franklin's Gull like this), the limited white in the wingtips (also can't find any Franklin's like this, except 1st year birds), and the large bill. Everything seems to point solidly toward Laughing. If anyone thinks otherwise please convince me.

After further research, I've convinced myself it's a Laughing Gull for three main reasons: the very limited hood (I can't find any example of a Franklin's Gull like this), the limited white in the wingtips (also can't find any Franklin's like this, except 1st year birds), and the large bill. Everything seems to point solidly toward Laughing. If anyone thinks otherwise please convince me.
Doesn't seem as if the laughing gull is that unexpected in Ohio- I agree with you, seems better for laughing gull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back