• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

the cow is beautifully rendered, with it's light and shadows, making a lovely foil for the bird in motion...and how you captured light coming through the wing...just breathtaking.

This work illustrates why artists and photographers are supposed to be out and about early and late in the day! Gorgeous light, masterfully caught on paper. Isn't it amazing what a bit of paint, a little water and a piece of paper can become when placed in the hands of a super-talent?

Had really close encounters with a short-eared owl last week during youngest sprog's riding lesson down in the old country of South Ronaldsay (it's easy to forget that these birds were sighted daily when we lived down there). I wanted to recreate the warm end of day light which bathed the landscape as the bird drifted over the meadows and paddocks.
watercolour 22"x15"

you are on a bit of the roll old bean- it's perfect. Like the way you have given just the right degree of prominence to the bovine too- you know its there, but does not distract from compete with the owl.

Perfect and raw Nature.

Very familiar with SEO and that's a beaut capture.

Your Jaegers got a thumbnail in BBC Wildlife. A whole page would've been preferable!

Ah well!

bad me, I admired and didn't comment, the thing that endears me most to this is how it feels like the raw materials of the landscape, unfussed, earthy, rough, genuine and real.

Wow, what masterful work. The lad certainly is on a roll! As I know bugger all about painting all I will say is that these last two pieces are the work of a master-talent completely in tune with his environment. I'm now running out of things to say, it's all too good.

Russ

Red-throated divers; I always find them a b*gger to get the jizz right . . .

Attachments

• F-7001.jpg
    F-7001.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 83
  • d0c9_12.jpg
    d0c9_12.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 105
Red-throated divers; I always find them a b*gger to get the jizz right . . .

You're obviously not doing it right Tim. Get a bird-gun and a reliable Victorian taxidermist to sort it out for you. Better still "have your man procure one" while you attend lavish dinner parties, where not an ankle is shown. ;)

I think the ones you see scrabbling about on their bellies, or lying low in the water are obviously ill! :cat:

Hello Tim - and thank you for your comment and for welcoming me on this forum! Your work is an absolute joy to discover - I have subscribed to your blog and look forward to seeing and reading more and more!

Best regards,
Catherine

They do David - Orkney is a stronghold for red throats. (Before anyone misses the point - these two illustrations are archaic ones, done by illustrators who knew their craft very well, but didn't know the bird at all; divers don't jump around like penguins, but a glance at their anatomy might lead one to suppose that they did. Once the stereotyope illustration had been made - everyone else followed suit. What's the saying 'Draw what you se - not what others have supposedly seen before you . . . . ')

Just had a look back through the past few days of Posts, WoW!!! the Skuas are just fan b***** tastic! and the short eared Owl , Well thats the same really!

Arctics are the best arent they , only seen one dark phase down here at Wembury would love to see more.

Been snowed under with illustration work and reports. 'Forgot' to take my reference for illustrations to the gallery, so I had to do something with my time . . .
Sedge Warbler Hunting, watercolour, 22"x15"

Attachments

• sedgiesmall.jpg
    sedgiesmall.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back