• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gamekeeper fined £500 (1 Viewer)

MKinHK said:
Interesting take on the wind farm eagle mortality issue. So what happened to all those eagles found dead underneath wind turbines?

Did they die of a drug overdose, or melancholy, perhaps?

No no. I know! They'r not dead . . . its all a plot - they're just pretending! They just lie very still on the ground as if they were dead in order to discredit the great and noble (but viciously maligned) windfarm industry.

Its just that waking up again and flying away is difficult with a crushed skull.

Hi MKinHK living in HK you've no doubt seen all these Eagles throwing themselves onto the blades and crushing their skulls.
I don't doubt that there will be some bird fatalites, but like all other aspects of life the birds will soon learn to avoid the blades.
Perhaps you would to suggest some other form of power source for us here in Scotland. "Nuclear Power" perhaps.
Living in Scotland I would rather lose the odd bird to a turbine strike than lose the whole of Scotland "Birds and All" to a Nuclear accident.
...Wonder where all the Eagles would be then! "Still... not your problem, you live in HK".

ESTEBANNIC said:
A few lessons in basic Physics and you would find that the tips of the blades of these turbines go very fast.

Living in Spain and not here in Scotland, have you actually seen the blades on these turbines turning???
"Yes" on paper the basic laws in Physics will show the tips speed of the blades to be FEET/second/second etc,etc.
But in reality the actual visual speed isn't all that fast.
Perhaps you are thinking of the small wind turbines people put on there houses. "those go round like stink".

sputnik said:
Hi MKinHK living in HK you've no doubt seen all these Eagles throwing themselves onto the blades and crushing their skulls.
I don't doubt that there will be some bird fatalites, but like all other aspects of life the birds will soon learn to avoid the blades.
Perhaps you would to suggest some other form of power source for us here in Scotland. "Nuclear Power" perhaps.
Living in Scotland I would rather lose the odd bird to a turbine strike than lose the whole of Scotland "Birds and All" to a Nuclear accident.
...Wonder where all the Eagles would be then! "Still... not your problem, you live in HK".
What a stupid arguement. What if theres a world war and were all wiped out by the nuclear threat. You are talking rubbish Sputnik. How are the birds going to learn to avoid blades? How long is this learning process going to take, are there going to be many eagles left before they learn the lesson.Look up whats happened to the Eagles in Norway, perhaps they are a bit slooow there and didnt learn fast enough. There are other options not just Windpower. so maybe all people are saying is that these routes should be explored. By the way there is an actual thread if you want to post about windfarms, come on over to it if you want a debate, leave this thread for what it is about, gamekeepers killing birds

Last edited:
Sputnik

Being new to the Forum, you may not be aware there are protracted debates on the windfarm issue elsewhere - you may also want to do some background reading before commenting further:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=31406

As Valley Boy says, this is not the place to discuss windfarms, regardless of your point of view.

Everyone is entitled to post their opinions here regarding the prosecution of gamekeepers. (Unless of course they should happen to be a gamekeeper or troll, just intent on hijacking the thread, which would become obvious to most concerned after several postings anyway).

sputnik said:
"because he had a gun but didn't fire and was in the area of the birds where known persicution is known to go on he was guilty". Please!!! This is like saying someone in a shop where known shoplifting goes on and picks up an item to look at it before buying it, it definatly a shoplifter and should be fined.
What has happened to the world?? have so many people lost all shreads of common-sense.

Perhaps you have some more thoughts on your above comment, having read my previous post?

Last edited:
deborah4 said:
Everyone is entitled to post their opinions here regarding the prosecution of gamekeepers. (Unless of course they should happen to be a gamekeeper
Hang on! I can't agree with that Deborah - surely anyone who subscribes to BF is entitled to have their say on any subject up for discussion? There's at least one full-time keeper who posts on BF, and several others (such as myself) who have experience of gamekeeping. Surely it wouldn't be fair to deny us our opinion? I've already posted on this thread, but I've certainly not 'hijacked' it - in fact I was supporting the prosecution!

Jonathan

sputnik said:
Living in Spain and not here in Scotland, have you actually seen the blades on these turbines turning???
"Yes" on paper the basic laws in Physics will show the tips speed of the blades to be FEET/second/second etc,etc.
But in reality the actual visual speed isn't all that fast.
Perhaps you are thinking of the small wind turbines people put on there houses. "those go round like stink".

Strange that you point out where we all live. I don't really see what that matters. I have seen wind farms in Scotland, a country I visit often as most of my family live there. I have also witnessed the blades turning and witnessed pieces of bird scattered in the proximities. Please do a little reseach before posting utter rubbish.

ESTEBANNIC said:
Strange that you point out where we all live. I don't really see what that matters. I have seen wind farms in Scotland, a country I visit often as most of my family live there. I have also witnessed the blades turning and witnessed pieces of bird scattered in the proximities. Please do a little reseach before posting utter rubbish.
Well said. :clap:

saluki said:
Hang on! I can't agree with that Deborah - surely anyone who subscribes to BF is entitled to have their say on any subject up for discussion? There's at least one full-time keeper who posts on BF, and several others (such as myself) who have experience of gamekeeping. Surely it wouldn't be fair to deny us our opinion? I've already posted on this thread, but I've certainly not 'hijacked' it - in fact I was supporting the prosecution!

Jonathan
I notice you didnt include all of Deborahs quote, do that and it paints a different story doesnt it

valley boy said:
I notice you didnt include all of Deborahs quote, do that and it paints a different story doesnt it
Does it? I cut it short for brevity, the mods do a good job of dealing with trolls. However, if you insist VB:

"Everyone is entitled to post their opinions here regarding the prosecution of gamekeepers. (Unless of course they should happen to be a gamekeeper or troll, just intent on hijacking the thread, which would become obvious to most concerned after several postings anyway)".

Jonathan

saluki said:
Does it?

Jonathan

er...yes it does, Jonathan. Not sure what your point is, but apologies if you were offended by my remark - it certainly wasnt directed at you personally or gamekeepers in general, or anyone else for that matter. (As you say, think the Mods would deal with anyone deliberately trying to hijack a thread for ulterior motives whether they were gamekeepers or not!) Of course everyone's opinion is welcome and valid - think that was my main point really. Perhaps the statement was a bit too ambiguous and could be taken in the way you took it, but certainly not my intention.

deborah4 said:
er...yes it does, Jonathan. Not sure what your point is, but apologies if you were offended by my remark - it certainly wasnt directed at you personally or gamekeepers in general, or anyone else for that matter. (As you say, think the Mods would deal with anyone deliberately trying to hijack a thread for ulterior motives whether they were gamekeepers or not!) Of course everyone's opinion is welcome and valid - think that was my main point really. Perhaps the statement was a bit too ambiguous and could be taken in the way you took it, but certainly not my intention.
Hi Deborah,

I wasn't offended, I simply thought you where suggesting keepers shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions - which, I'm sure you'll agree, wouldn't be healthy for BF. It did seem out of character to be honest, so I'm sure I misunderstood you - in which case I appologise.

Jonathan

saluki said:
Hi Deborah,

I wasn't offended, I simply thought you where suggesting keepers shouldn't be allowed to express their opinions - which, I'm sure you'll agree, wouldn't be healthy for BF. It did seem out of character to be honest, so I'm sure I misunderstood you - in which case I appologise.

Jonathan

No problem Jonathan!

Once got repremanded by a tutor at Uni for quoting Voltaire in a law lecture on censorship: 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it'"* which is kind of where I come from generally - subject of course to mores of public decency, incitement of racial hatred etc etc (and on here, Bf's own boundaries!) - so I'm all for freedom of speech.

Anyway back to the thread - almost forgotten what it was about now!

While the fine may have seemed harsh to some people, ie. considering the particular gamekeeper was not actually harming the birds in question, IMV (and I may be wrong), the sentence is a welcome indicator that the Courts are becoming willing to intervene with punishment on the basis of foreseable harm (ie. using 'intent' etc) where Sch.1 species are concerned. The problem here however, is that it potentially results in the public release of information regarding perhaps previously kept quiet locations of breeding sites. I think VB alluded to it earlier, that a lot of sites are only known to those who discover them, sharing such knowledge with the RSPB. But as VB also said, once the 'deed' has been done, it is often too late (on evidencial grounds) to secure a conviction. The problem, IMV, is a question of balance - too early, and risk of charges being dropped but site revealed anyway - too late - and we have more dead raptors to contend with.

*The phrase 'I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it' is widely attributed to Voltaire, but cannot be found in his writings. With good reason. The phrase was invented by a later author as an epitome of his attitude. "

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back