• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

87 - Short-eared Owl
88 - Lesser Redpoll
89 - Swift
90 - Buzzard
91 - Goldcrest
92 - Golden Plover
93 - Yellow-browed Warbler
94 - Reed Bunting
95 - Teal
96 - Stonechat

Still a bit to go to reach my target of 100.

You can fight that one out with Richard....Barry!...I'm in the lightweight division. :t:

I've been away but on my first day home, no 75) Goldcrest. It isn't annual in my garden so very pleased to record it.

Only 4 away!.....a-h-h-h-h!....and my options for the big 80....have narrowed considerably, it's going to be a tough end of year :(

Nearly there!

87 - Short-eared Owl
88 - Lesser Redpoll
89 - Swift
90 - Buzzard
91 - Goldcrest
92 - Golden Plover
93 - Yellow-browed Warbler
94 - Reed Bunting
95 - Teal
96 - Stonechat

Still a bit to go to reach my target of 100.

Yes, November and December can be pretty poor for adding to the garden year list it's true. I spent a fair bit of time in the garden today pretending to rake leaves (but mostly with my eyes to the skies of course), having given it up as a bad job I was just heating up some apple crumble in the microwave (my signature dish don't you know:t:) when I saw what looked like a distant Gull sp heading southwest a good distance away. "Do I count it or not?" I was asking myself as it faded out of sight. Scanning hopefully east, BINGO, a much nearer group of 15:

99 Yellow -legged Gull

Surely I can manage one more species before the year end and receive my well-earned telegram from the Queen!

Two new in two days!

97 - Woodcock
98 - Twite

So I then decided to see what possibilities remained for the year and in doing so realised I had forgotten to count

99 - Chiffchaff
100 - Fieldfare

So target reached, though a bit of an anti-climax as I would have preferred to see number 100 knowing I was on 99.

Still a small handful of possibilities to get.

Two new in two days!

97 - Woodcock
98 - Twite

So I then decided to see what possibilities remained for the year and in doing so realised I had forgotten to count

99 - Chiffchaff
100 - Fieldfare

So target reached, though a bit of an anti-climax as I would have preferred to see number 100 knowing I was on 99.

Still a small handful of possibilities to get.

I'm gutted! :C Well done Barrie (said through gritted teeth).

Well done Barrie :t: unlike Richard with a smile on my face ;)

Thus leaving Richard and I....with one to go for our respective targets!

I'll lay my stall out now for previous scarce visitors : Wood Lark (2) both records in March though :( , Crossbill (2) again both records in July, Lapwing only 2 records a singleton and a flock, Golden Plover (2) small flocks on both occasions, Waxwing (1) just the one...I didn't see it..but the wife did! Raven (1), Merlin (1), Snipe..several seen but I need a "freeze" for those, Goosander, Goldeneye, Red-crested Pochard and Teal, just the one record for each.

If I manage to hit target..It will "have to come from the skies"......a-a-a-h....suddenly remembered Meally Redpoll on the feeders, certainly one to look out for!

The Black cap female I saw in my garden over several months had a strong red cap . Yesterday saw photos taken in Spain (which is not very far from here) of an adult female Black cap with a more brown rusty cap , why is the cap different in colour ?

My first additions for a month - and probably my last of the year - came this weekend - one a very expected species, the second more irregular.

Flock of Common Redpolls was the expected, their absence in the early winter period more remarkable than their presence now. Mid-morning, inthe first blue skies for quite a while, one Rough-legged Buzzard passing over, a species I don't see every year over my land.

128. Rough-legged Buzzard
129. Common Redpoll

First layer of snow this morning, hopefully makes my feeders even better - but some good days recently ...on a single day at the feeders, caught (for ringing) two new White-backed Woodpeckers and two Grey-headed Woodpeckers! After Great Spotted, White-backed Woodpecker is the most common woodpecker at my feeders this season.

First snows here too, Jos. Slid my car into a grass bank yesterday - no damage fortunately!

This evening, at last, a

Woodcock

flew over just before dark.

First snows here too, Jos. Slid my car into a grass bank yesterday - no damage fortunately!

This evening, at last, a

Woodcock

flew over just before dark.

Today was a good London day for the species H.....4 or 5 reported today!

Nothing new this week although Firecrest being worthy of note!...in every day for the last seven, managed a few more snaps, I'm thinking that in the 2nd image he's thinking....''I wonder if that match will light my fire?''

Attachments

• P1180542.jpeg DEF.14.FC.jpg
    P1180542.jpeg DEF.14.FC.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 59
  • P1180546.jpeg DEF.10.FC,.jpg
    P1180546.jpeg DEF.10.FC,.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
No new species but it was thrush city here today............c100 Fieldfares accompanied by handfulls of Redwing, Mistle Thrush and Song Thrush, all gorging themselves on the prolific sloe berries and hawthorn berries.

I am wondering where all the birds are. The only thing we had this morning was a high flying flock of 300 Canada Geese going west over our yard. No other birds around?

I am wondering where all the birds are. The only thing we had this morning was a high flying flock of 300 Canada Geese going west over our yard. No other birds around?

Don't know where yours are, but quite a few here, as others.

Impromptu day off as car was fixed and mot'd - happened to look out bedroom window to see 8 or so Greenfinch flying over (landing in distant trees), followed in a pleasant spell by 2 Black Redstarts on next doors roof and then flying around the gardens, c.15 Redwing, Blackcap and a Firecrest working a berry laden holly. Who needs to go birding?!

Don't know where yours are, but quite a few here, as others.

Impromptu day off as car was fixed and mot'd - happened to look out bedroom window to see 8 or so Greenfinch flying over (landing in distant trees), followed in a pleasant spell by 2 Black Redstarts on next doors roof and then flying around the gardens, c.15 Redwing, Blackcap and a Firecrest working a berry laden holly. Who needs to go birding?!

I suspect.....those that live in less advantageous surroundings?

I'd have to travel a not inconsiderable distance, in order to see a Black Redstart...:smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back