• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Indeed I noticed (last week) that the peanuts in a bottom of feeder were in mould and I throw them a way. I think that it is because of the weather (warm and rainy) but it can of course also be due to their old age. I am, however, sure that they were not moldy when I put them in the feeder.

Yep, warm, wet weather will make them go mouldy. And right to dispose of them if they do :t:

Absolutely gobsmacked just now. Looked out at my feeder to see a

BRAMBLING

sitting on it!!!!!
There were THREE altogether in the tree and then they took off and joined three more!!
To put this in perspective - in three years since moving here I've seen one two miles away on one occasion!

A real mega mega. A garden star. SO chuffed.

BRAMBLING

sitting on it!!!!!
There were THREE altogether in the tree and then they took off and joined three more!!
To put this in perspective - in three years since moving here I've seen one two miles away on one occasion!

I'm not jealous H!......really I'm not jealous....:-C

BRAMBLING

sitting on it!!!!!

Lucky you H! Brambling is a one off in my garden.

I've realised I have left of Great Black-backed Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull from my list, which takes me up to 77. It's not impossible to get a couple more.....we shall see.

I've realised I have left of Great Black-backed Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull from my list, which takes me up to 77. It's not impossible to get a couple more.....we shall see.

That's a powerful incentive for me to carry out an ''Avian Audit'' Joanne :eek!:

That's some tactic to leapfrog to the finish line right at the last hop!!

That's a powerful incentive for me to carry out an ''Avian Audit'' Joanne :eek!:

Well I have you to thank Joanne!!!!......An AA this am had me stuck on 77 (knowing that I was on 79) I scratched my head, and managed to retrieve from my still functioning grey matter....Feral Pigeon and Starling!!..that's it I thought 79, then just as I was putting pencil and pad down, a Halcyon flash...I'd forgotten to include it....no.80!!!...I can now resume a ''normal life'' and get my BUTT off the window sill, just a few memorable shots (the Good, the Bad and the Ugly) all from the bedroom window...not bad for a townie :t:

Attachments

• FC.1005 RET. for web.jpg
    FC.1005 RET. for web.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 64
  • P1160629 (2) YBW no.8..jpg
    P1160629 (2) YBW no.8..jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P1180086 (2) No.3..jpg
    P1180086 (2) No.3..jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 58
That's some tactic to leapfrog to the finish line right at the last hop!!

Not deliberate, H. Honest.8-P

Well I have you to thank Joanne!!!!......An AA this am had me stuck on 77 (knowing that I was on 79) I scratched my head, and managed to retrieve from my still functioning grey matter....Feral Pigeon and Starling!!..that's it I thought 79, then just as I was putting pencil and pad down, a Halcyon flash...I'd forgotten to include it....no.80!!!...I can now resume a ''normal life'' and get my BUTT off the window sill, just a few memorable shots (the Good, the Bad and the Ugly) all from the bedroom window...not bad for a townie :t:

Clearly I will need to spend more time at the windows than I already do if I am going to catch up!:-O

A quick update:

The garden list keeps growing, and with the 4 species below, I've now reached a phenomenal total of 49 species for the year, 5 more than my last two years' counting.

46. Nuthatch
47. Canada Goose
48. Whooper Swan
49. Golden Plover

And other than the Canada geese, these are all garden lifers.

And I reckon I have a chance to hit 50 by year-end, as the GSW seems to be around in the area, and I've seen one a couple of times in the last week on trees just up the road (but frustratingly about 10ft around the bend, making them not visible from the garden!)

I'm also pleased to report that the nuthatch has also become a frequent visitor, having been heard a few times over the last month, and then making a couple of fleeting appearances, before becoming a daily visitor to the feeders in the last week or so.

FIFTY up!

And not the GSW, as suspected, but YET ANOTHER garden lifer :)

50. Treecreeper

That takes me to 63 species for this small garden on a modern housing estate since we moved in here 6 years ago, which I'm delighted about.

FIFTY up!

And not the GSW, as suspected, but YET ANOTHER garden lifer :)

50. Treecreeper

That takes me to 63 species for this small garden on a modern housing estate since we moved in here 6 years ago, which I'm delighted about.

That's a truly great 6 year total!...to put your Tree-Creeper into perspective, I've only ever had one in the garden (in 34 years!)....and I'm adjacent to 6000 bloody acres of broad-leaved woodland!!! :t:

That's a truly great 6 year total!...to put your Tree-Creeper into perspective, I've only ever had one in the garden (in 34 years!)....and I'm adjacent to 6000 bloody acres of broad-leaved woodland!!! :t:

I was completely gobsmacked. It was on the ornamental cherry tree in the front garden as I loaded the kids into the car (no more than 8ft away) then flew across the road to the base of a neighbours' tree.

They obviously have too much choice around your way ;)

This year has been amazing for my garden list, to be honest, now 6 more than any previous year, and 6 garden lifers, starting with the flyover little egret on 2nd January!

That's a truly great 6 year total!...to put your Tree-Creeper into perspective, I've only ever had one in the garden ..........

Similar here re Treecreeper; only twice in the garden. I try to scope it in the woods some 100m away but I don't get it every year, and not this year but still hopeful........watch out Ken!

Similar here re Treecreeper; only twice in the garden. I try to scope it in the woods some 100m away but I don't get it every year, and not this year but still hopeful........watch out Ken!

Yes....it's often an anomalous situation that can prevail, relatively not uncommon birds can "absent" themselves from what might appear to be prime habitat, and yet attract much scarcer birds locally and nationally.

A colleague of mine several years ago called me (who also lives on a relatively new suburban estate in West Sussex), date escapes me July/Aug I think?....with an adult Rose-Colured Starling in his garden!!

Basically...anything can turn up, you just have to put the hours in (having the time and determination helps)...and of course a large slice of luck....all the best to one and all in 2016 :t:

Last edited:
I am looking forward to doing a little better in 2016 than I did this year, regarding (first staying healthy and able to get out and about), doing better on the 2016 Missouri list and better on the yard/garden list.

All the best to all you "crazy birders" on "the forum" in the new year!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back