• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Give me some suggestions about the telescope? 1100 pounds budget including the tripod and everything else (1 Viewer)

acyanbird

China
Hi, I want to buy a telescope from UK. I want it to be light and convenient, I'm satisfied with opticron mm4 60 travelscope because of its weight and size. I tried it at an event. Is that one fine or any more suggestions?

I saw MM3 is much cheaper than 4, and they are almost the same... Which one is good to buy? And what's the difference between HDF and SDL eyepiece?

That is my first telescope, so I'm not familiar with those terms... Any one can help me? Thank you so much www

Hi and welcome to BF.

The MM4 is a good scope and the zooms are similar with the latest SDL zoom which has the widest field of view of the opticron range. Have you checked the Opticron site for the finer details?

I'd be tempted with the Swarovski scope at WEX if you don't mind a straight version, I seems to have a fixed eyepiece, check it's the 30x if you're interested in it not the 45x.

For a tripod the Viking model is very decent.

Hi and welcome to BF.

The MM4 is a good scope and the zooms are similar with the latest SDL zoom which has the widest field of view of the opticron range. Have you checked the Opticron site for the finer details?

I'd be tempted with the Swarovski scope at WEX if you don't mind a straight version, I seems to have a fixed eyepiece, check it's the 30x if you're interested in it not the 45x.

For a tripod the Viking model is very decent.

Thank you so much for replying! I've checked for the opticron and I think that is fine~ Thank you for the recommendation.

The MM3 GA is an entry-level product that does not have ED glass, so will suffer from chromatic aberrations at higher magnifications. (Just to confuse things, there is an older version of the MM3 that does have ED glass - these are only available on the used market.) The MM4 is the one to get if you’re buying new. There are a lot of satisfied MM4 60 users on this forum, including me. As Dipped said, the SDL v3 has a wider field of view; it is also guaranteed waterproof. The 23x fixed mag eyepiece is also really nice.

The MM3 GA is an entry-level product that does not have ED glass, so will suffer from chromatic aberrations at higher magnifications. (Just to confuse things, there is an older version of the MM3 that does have ED glass - these are only available on the used market.) The MM4 is the one to get if you’re buying new. There are a lot of satisfied MM4 60 users on this forum, including me. As Dipped said, the SDL v3 has a wider field of view; it is also guaranteed waterproof. The 23x fixed mag eyepiece is also really nice.
Thank you, I've bought MM4 today

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back