• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2021 - Joint thread (2 Viewers)

Oh and I forgot to mention - even though it's not on the Green list - my wife and I both saw the B;lack-browed Albatross on our way to our holiday destination (only a 'slight' detour). Lovely bird (but too far to cycle)

Two more new birds for my list yesterday - Brent Goose (Pale Bellied) and Red-throated Diver. My list is now at 168. Both were new for the UK list (now 181) but not for the world (on as Brant and Red-throated Loon respectively).

Thanks Colin, that saves us trawling back to locate it, I’ve added just the one this month, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, new for me but already on the overall list- must try harder!

Here's the link for the list again - has everyone else stopped, or just stopped seeing new birds?
Joint BF Green/Lockdown List 2021
I was too lazy to cycle to a Purple Heron that was 1.5 h away... It was also much easier to photograph from the car (I'll stick to that excuse).

(Middle Spotted Woodpecker is not too hard to find for me, but I still enjoyed adding it to my "house list" this week!)

I was too lazy to cycle to a Purple Heron that was 1.5 h away... It was also much easier to photograph from the car (I'll stick to that excuse).

(Middle Spotted Woodpecker is not too hard to find for me, but I still enjoyed adding it to my "house list" this week!)
I dipped on a Purple Heron a couple of months ago - despite staying for a couple of hours at the place where it had been being seen

Two more new ones for me, and the UK list, yesterday, bring my list to 171 and the UK list to 183. They were Black-throated Diver (aka Arctic Loon, aka (apparently although I don't think anyone other than the authors of the Collins guide use it) Black-throated Loon), and Arctic Warbler - so two 'Arctics' in one day :). Arctic Warbler was new for the world list bringing it to 578.
Arctic Warbler was also (I think) my first full lifer for the NMT/Green year list as I haven't seen it anywhere in the world

A lifer that’s a Green tick too, that’s not an everyday event! My last one of those was Pygmy Owl in 2012 as I hiked up from our previous abode and I suppose its relative the Tengmalm’s Owl is the most likely next one possible, I’ve heard one but never seen one so they are within walking distance 🤞

OK, so I got curious as to what might be my most recent green-ticked lifer. I have to go back to January 2013 for my last lifer at one of my green listing spots, great white egret at Coate Water, back when they were something to get excited about in the UK. And back to March 2012 for the most recent lifer close enough to home to be completely sure I walked there.

The last lifer I cycled to was a Rustic Bunting in Noordwijk (NL), back in 2002 (when I still lived close to the coast).
I did see a few lifers by public transport after that, with the last one being the famous Cley White-crowned Sparrow.
A lifer within cycling distance in Germany seems improbable...

What would have been another green lifer flew past one of my local headlands this morning (5 Little Auks) along with another that would have been a green year-tick (Velvet Scoter). Sadly I am confined to the house and (mostly) to bed with (after managing to evade it for so long) Covid. So far not too ill (but probably too ill to cycle 40 miles even if I was allowed to). Is it wrong to hope that nothing really good turns up for the next ten days? I see that Romania has had its first Sibe Accentor. Could this be the sign of another influx into Europe and if so will one linger within reach of me for long enough?

What would have been another green lifer flew past one of my local headlands this morning (5 Little Auks) along with another that would have been a green year-tick (Velvet Scoter). Sadly I am confined to the house and (mostly) to bed with (after managing to evade it for so long) Covid. So far not too ill (but probably too ill to cycle 40 miles even if I was allowed to). Is it wrong to hope that nothing really good turns up for the next ten days? I see that Romania has had its first Sibe Accentor. Could this be the sign of another influx into Europe and if so will one linger within reach of me for long enough?
I hope you get better soon and keep in mind that for sure, when you are recovered, birds and miles will be waiting for you. :)

My world got rather chaotic and I ended up neglecting my 'on foot' list but will have a proper look before the year end.

However, back on foot a bit more recently and the last week has yielded three species that were 'on foot' year ticks for me being Brent Goose, Black Redstart and Shag. The Black Redstart appears to be a UK addition?

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• 20211109_221224.jpg
    20211109_221224.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211109_221248.jpg
    20211109_221248.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 1
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back