• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Squirrels v's birds/wildlife, so either we love them or hate them!! (1 Viewer)

Thankfully they are still common around here, but in the last couple of years the greys have moved in. I've yet to see one myself, but a friend reported one in the centre of the town near where I live a couple of weeks ago. Depressing news.

I've attached some photos I took in Northumberland a couple of years ago (April 05). The small wood where I took them was alive with reds. I don't know if it means anything but on two visits this spring I only saw one squirrel. I'm hoping it was just the luck of the draw on those occasions, but normally they aren't hard to find.

Attachments

• Squirrel 01 birdforum.jpg
    Squirrel 01 birdforum.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Squirrel 07 copy reduced.jpg
    Squirrel 07 copy reduced.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Squirrel 37 birdforum.jpg
    Squirrel 37 birdforum.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 31
Sorry about the link mistake Kathy.
Just thought you all might like to see the squirrels I get on my patch here in Alacati,they are Persian squirrels,the colouration is a bit like a Grey crossed with a Red is'nt it!!!
Very entertaining with their antics when watching them from my hide .

Attachments

• DSCN543.jpg
    DSCN543.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN133.jpg
    DSCN133.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN955.jpg
    DSCN955.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 36
Thankfully they are still common around here, but in the last couple of years the greys have moved in. I've yet to see one myself, but a friend reported one in the centre of the town near where I live a couple of weeks ago. Depressing news.

I've attached some photos I took in Northumberland a couple of years ago (April 05). The small wood where I took them was alive with reds. I don't know if it means anything but on two visits this spring I only saw one squirrel. I'm hoping it was just the luck of the draw on those occasions, but normally they aren't hard to find.

Hi Alan

Thank you for your reply and your pictures.

I love your pictures and the face on those Reds just does it for me and they are so attractive to look at.

I hope these guys are still in good numbers in the same place that you photographed them, and they are surviving, and have happy lives as they should have

Sorry about the link mistake Kathy.
Just thought you all might like to see the squirrels I get on my patch here in Alacati,they are Persian squirrels,the colouration is a bit like a Grey crossed with a Red is'nt it!!!
Very entertaining with their antics when watching them from my hide .

Hi Bob

Again thank you for your reply. No worries about the mistake on the link at all

Your pictures are lovely to look at too.

The Persian ones are actually quite attractive to look at, and do look although they have a grey wig on their backs. I bet that they are very entertaining too.

Are they quite abundant to find where you stay?

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Quote Kathy:~"Are they quite abundant to find where you stay?"

Yes Kathy we are quite fortunate that we can see them almost every time we go out into the woods/olive groves,orchards etc,as you say very entertaining with collecting acorns and chasing each other around the trunks of trees,quite tame as well coming to within 10 feet of me for a drink at the puddle in the olive grove.
And of course we are very fortunate not to have any Greys here!!!

Sorry to go off on a tangent but:~
I was just wondering whether anyone would know if Pine /Beech martens would have any effect on the squirrel population as we have plenty of all three!!!

I was just wondering whether anyone would know if Pine /Beech martens would have any effect on the squirrel population as we have plenty of all three!!!

Hi Bob

Reds are making a come back at the Queen Elizabeth Forrest Park near Aberfoyle, Trossachs, Scotland, due to the increase of the pine martin population in the area. The greys are bigger than the reds, make bigger dreys, and have larger litters and so are easier prey for the pine martins. Balance of nature, eh?

Mari

Hi Bob

Reds are making a come back at the Queen Elizabeth Forrest Park near Aberfoyle, Trossachs, Scotland, due to the increase of the pine martin population in the area. The greys are bigger than the reds, make bigger dreys, and have larger litters and so are easier prey for the pine martins. Balance of nature, eh?

Mari

Thats excellent news Mari,anything to try and keep the grey numbers down helps,there seems to be a good balance here thats why I thought I would ask the question.

Quote Kathy:~"Are they quite abundant to find where you stay?"

Yes Kathy we are quite fortunate that we can see them almost every time we go out into the woods/olive groves,orchards etc,as you say very entertaining with collecting acorns and chasing each other around the trunks of trees,quite tame as well coming to within 10 feet of me for a drink at the puddle in the olive grove.
And of course we are very fortunate not to have any Greys here!!!

hi Bob

No worries with going off the straight, and narrow as it still related to the issue of squirrels and other wildlife.

Thank you for your reply, your enjoyment of your squirrels (they sound great fun to have around and are boundless with their non stop energy), and your photos of them :t:

I thought I would send this website link about Pine Martens in general throughout Scotland. It appears that they have quite a varied diet, and are not solely interested in the squirrels. ;)

They are ferocious hunters though, so nothing will escape them as prey on their menu at all.
http://www.toothandclaw.org.uk/opinion.asp?Q=Q5

Some things are a surprise on the menu, such as Wildfowl - Goldeneye in this article depending on what area though. Do you have that as an issue too? :eek!:

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
A great article Kathy,with the amount of wildlife in my area the martens must have quite a varied diet hence no one species seem to be targeted and certainly not the squirrels.
I think I will have to try the strawberry jam on a log trick to try and get a photograph of one the Pine martens.
I have'nt seen any Martens in the wildfowl area of my patch so probably not a problem there.

Any reason it should be an issue?

hi Jos

No, not really an issue. I have never heard of bigger birds being part of the Martens diet - new one to me.

A great article Kathy,with the amount of wildlife in my area the martens must have quite a varied diet hence no one species seem to be targeted and certainly not the squirrels.
I think I will have to try the strawberry jam on a log trick to try and get a photograph of one the Pine martens.
I have'nt seen any Martens in the wildfowl area of my patch so probably not a problem there.

hi Bob

Yes, it was an interesting article. Gave a broad view, rather than of a particular place in Scotland. Shows that the Martens know what food they like. I wonder if their tastes change each time?

Yes, a picture of a Marten would be something to see. I have only seen a Stoat close up in Scotland (attacking, and killing a fully grown rabbit) - not a Pine Marten yet.

Martens take a notion to prey so many times bigger than themselves as wildfowl are. They are not afraid of anything at all (like the stoats)
If it is on the menu, it is. ;)

I look forward to your pictures ;)

Regards
Kathy

American imperialism has gotten out of control. Stop this maddness! 3:) :-O

Attachments

• Squirrel.jpg
    Squirrel.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 48
American imperialism has gotten out of control. Stop this maddness! 3:) :-O

hi Arco

ha ha LOL 3:)3:) Love it

Is that a real Grey squirrel in that outfit. Eh up as Dave my partner (from Yorkshire would say) by gum he is a handsome specimen

He looks real or is he your pet. ;)

What is he a bomber pilot or something like that. Brrrmm brrmm if that is the case. I say "bomber quadrum Nutkins" to the cause here

Thanks for the lightweight humor. Great fun!! ;)

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
hi Arco

ha ha LOL 3:)3:) Love it

Is that a real Grey squirrel in that outfit. Eh up as Dave my partner (from Yorkshire would say) by gum he is a handsome specimen

He looks real or is he your pet. ;)

What is he a bomber pilot or something like that. Brrrmm brrmm if that is the case. I say "bomber quadrum Nutkins" to the cause here

Thanks for the lightweight humor. Great fun!! ;)

Regards
Kathy

Ha-ha! 3:) Hey Kathy, the little guy is pretty cute huh? I got this photo off a site called "thebachelorguy" There was no additional comments on how the photo was taken. I'm sure it's someone’s pet. I had a friend when I was younger who saved a baby grey squirrel when it was abandoned. The squirrel was very tame and very lovable I might add. Still feel awful for the Brit Reds though. Hope they make a comeback.

Ha-ha! 3:) Hey Kathy, the little guy is pretty cute huh? I got this photo off a site called "thebachelorguy" There was no additional comments on how the photo was taken. I'm sure it's someone’s pet. I had a friend when I was younger who saved a baby grey squirrel when it was abandoned. The squirrel was very tame and very lovable I might add. Still feel awful for the Brit Reds though. Hope they make a comeback.

Hi Arco

Yes, He is one cutey pie, with his bomber pilot outfit on. This squirrel does look a live one to me here. So we agree about this at the moment. I am sure that a squirrel can be tamed very easily if a person was inclined to be that way. It is always better to leave wild animals in the wild IMHO.

I was watching a program on TV called "Wildlife SOS" Animal Planet 524/525 here, and a member of the public had tamed a fox so it would follow any human - not a good omen really.

Very true, the Reds are having a tough time in the UK at the moment, and they are such attractive looking animals too.

Thank you for wishing good luck for the Reds, as they deserve it. :t:

Regards
Kathy

I am sure that a squirrel can be tamed very easily if a person was inclined to be that way. It is always better to leave wild animals in the wild IMHO.

I was watching a program on TV called "Wildlife SOS" Animal Planet 524/525 here, and a member of the public had tamed a fox so it would follow any human - not a good omen really.

When I was a nipper I tamed a squirrel, so it's not hard. Though I did spend hours and hours sitting outside with peanuts, gradually he came closer and closer, eventually on my knees, arm... Then one day I was standing getting some nuts ready for him, he was at my feet behaving impatiently - and suddenly he was up my leg and grabbed some nuts out my hand! It got to the point where he would climb up my leg, take some nuts then sit on my shoulder and eat them. He escaped the claws of a cat by running up to me, and once brought 3 babies to me for breakfast!

I wouldn't do that now of course, but it was before the days when I knew better. Can't have been older than 10 I don't think. Very rewarding though - I don't have too many memories from that age, but those stay clearly in my mind.

When I was a nipper I tamed a squirrel, so it's not hard. Though I did spend hours and hours sitting outside with peanuts, gradually he came closer and closer, eventually on my knees, arm... Then one day I was standing getting some nuts ready for him, he was at my feet behaving impatiently - and suddenly he was up my leg and grabbed some nuts out my hand! It got to the point where he would climb up my leg, take some nuts then sit on my shoulder and eat them. He escaped the claws of a cat by running up to me, and once brought 3 babies to me for breakfast!

I wouldn't do that now of course, but it was before the days when I knew better. Can't have been older than 10 I don't think. Very rewarding though - I don't have too many memories from that age, but those stay clearly in my mind.

Hi Laura

What you have said here just shows that Squirrels are easy to tame. I think I would be nervous incase the Squirrel decided to eat my fingers too. I am sure that they would give a good nip if they did not get what they wanted too.

Too bring her youngsters up to you, shows the trust she had in you, and you where safe to be around. Like you say you where young at the time, and the squirrel made that choice to be friendly with you.

It just shows how things has changed now. These days it is considered a no- no. Still though, some people are found with foxes as pets on occasions here and that is not good at all. Tethered and treated like a domestic dog. Not fair really on the animal.

It is still very good to keep that memory, as it gave you the interest in wildlife that you have today. Part of the learning process :t:

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
I came across this little fellow while I was out earlier this afternoon.

Hi Alan

Thank you for posting your picture. You are so lucky to see one.

Love your picture - what a cutie. :-O

Did you get quite close to him. Sometimes squirrels seem to get more used to people so they are easier to photograph.

The Reds, I was lucky to see in Scotland spent their time hiding in the trees, and watching me, at the same time. One day a Red was slowly running up a trunk of a tree, he went behind the back of the same trunk, pretending that I was not there. He kept peering around the same trunk, and all I could see was the face and ears. ;)

They are just so inquisitive. :-O

Love them :t:

Regards
Kathy.

Hi Kathy. I was walking in natural woods along the River Wansbeck at Bothal in Northumberland. Reds are often to be seen there, but they are by no means habituated on people, the path I was on is used by probably less than 10 people a day on its busy times.

The squirrel was on the ground looking for beech nuts when I saw it. As I moved closer it took to a tree and stopped about 15 feet up and sat there with its nut while I moved past the tree to get a view uninterrupted by twigs. I was probably no more than 7 or 8 yards from the base of the tree for the photo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back