• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Squirrels v's birds/wildlife, so either we love them or hate them!! (2 Viewers)

Hope this comment isn't going to ruffle too many feathers, but for all those commenting on the grey squirrel being a non native species - do any of you own a cat? Another introduced species that contributes a lot towards the destruction of our native wildlife just as much as the maligned grey squirrels! Just a thought......

do any of you own a cat?

Ah yes, but they are just plain evil creatures owned by demented owners that care not two hoots about wildlife, the environment or the entire planet. Owners should be shot, the cats strung up from the nearest tree. ;)

Ah yes, but they are just plain evil creatures owned by demented owners that care not two hoots about wildlife, the environment or the entire planet. Owners should be shot, the cats strung up from the nearest tree. ;)

Hi Jos

Well that is one way of putting it LOL ;)

I have noticed (quote me wrong here) that Grey Squirrels will not stay around for long if any domesticated animal shows its face.

News item today about the squirrel that got stuck in a nut feeder, because it had become too fat in a ahort space of time. It got itself stuck in the feeder (Squirrel proof one too!!)

Well I could not imagine a Red Squirrel being so greedy, and there all of the time. Having a larger domestic animal will keep the Greys at bay at least.

Alan: I think the same too, cats do make good pets too, are living creatures too.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
I saw that article about the squirrel in the feeder. My first thought was not that of greed, but the same reason dogs get their heads stuck in railings and other interesting places. The shape of their head allows entry easier, but doesn't work quite as well on the exit!

Reminds me of that kid with the traffic cone on his head (as kids we stuck to putting them on heads of statues of local dignitaries!!)

I braked for a road-crossing Grey Squirrel yesterday, can't believe I made such an elementary driving error for a tree rat. Apologies everyone.

John

I braked for a road-crossing Grey Squirrel yesterday, can't believe I made such an elementary driving error for a tree rat. Apologies everyone.

John

Hi John

I feel as you do. To me it is the principle of running over any animal on the road. I would not have the heart, or mind to do so myself.

No shortage of Tree rats in this world though (as I glower at one eating my bird food again!!!!) Grrrrrr........

Regards
Kathy

Reds are making a come back at the Queen Elizabeth Forrest Park near Aberfoyle, Trossachs, Scotland, due to the increase of the pine martin population in the area. The greys are bigger than the reds, make bigger dreys, and have larger litters and so are easier prey for the pine martins. Balance of nature, eh?

Mari

I just found this out today ( I came across this thread when I googled it) on a visit to the David Marshall lodge. Apparently there has been a dramatic decrease in the numbers of greys and reds are appearing in areas where they haven't been seen in twenty years.
I was brought up not far from there and can remember when greys first moved into the area. I have noticed more reds recently and never thought it could be connected to an increase in pine martens. It would be good to see some research. May not be the answer everywhere but every little helps.

gordon

Hi Jos

Well I could not imagine a Red Squirrel being so greedy, and there all of the time. Having a larger domestic animal will keep the Greys at bay at least.

Regards
Kathy

Not where I live lots of Greys feeding with the birds and the cats love our garden its one big happy family ;).

Its not the Greys fault humans displaced them, so never understand why people call them tree rats. Anyway I like rats, clever social, survivors and again not their fault humans are untidy.

Reminds of some blokes wardening the nest for Stilts at Martin Mere.
He was really angry saying if had a gun he would shoot the b*****d Herons and Foxes to protect the nest, a bit harsh words I thought.

Not where I live lots of Greys feeding with the birds and the cats love our garden its one big happy family ;).

Its not the Greys fault humans displaced them, so never understand why people call them tree rats. Anyway I like rats, clever social, survivors and again not their fault humans are untidy.

Reminds of some blokes wardening the nest for Stilts at Martin Mere.
He was really angry saying if had a gun he would shoot the b*****d Herons and Foxes to protect the nest, a bit harsh words I thought.

Hi Steven

Grey Squirrels are not shy are they?. I can get close to the ones I have in my garden, as they monopolise the ground feeders. The birds like my Blackies do not know what to make of them at all and keep their distance.

I suppose that the name Tree Rat is quite cruel, but I want the Reds at my feeders not the Greys. I even do not mind our 2 Woodpigeons in our garden feeding from the ground feeders. They are welcome.

Also it is true what you say about about Greys being displaced and misunderstood. They cannot help the fact that they have landed in the UK like they have. Misplaced loyalties from human beings.

Personally, I feel that I have already spent a fortune on birdfood, Squirrel proof feeders and all the gnawed, and damaged feeders rendered useless after they chewed them to death. They are a major expense I do not want in my garden.

I like rats too and despite of their reputation they are one of the cleanest animals around. The only time I remember them making a nuisance of themselves was when I was young and one chewed through a six inch thick wooden cabinet we had full of pony food. The hole was rat sized so we replaced the wooden cabinet with a metal one and that was it sorted.

Everyone have their own views on what they think are cute, cuddly or plain destructive. Grey Squirrels are destructive, and can cause a lot of financial problems within your house too. Not to be trusted I reckon. ;)

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Grey squirrels are fantastic animals to observe. Very intelligent and they have a sense of humour too.
I remember a few months ago watching one up a telegraph pole opposite my house. At the bottom of the pole was a nasty cat with it's tail really going.
The squirrel kept coming down the pole until it was within the cats reach and when the cat started to pounce it shot back up the pole out of reach.
I wondered whether it was stuck and couldn't get away when it did this half a dozen times.
However after a while it must have got bored with teasing the cat and jumped into a nearby tree and was off, leaving the cat angry and frustrated at the bottom of an empty pole.
I love em. And no problems with them in the garden around the feeders either (touch wood).

I want the Reds at my feeders not the Greys.

They are a major expense I do not want in my garden.

However, even if the Greys were to be removed, do you really think you'll get Reds at your feeders? I think the answer, for the vast majority of suburbanites and even country folk across the UK, is no. So, it's not a question of this squirrel or that, but any squirrel or no squirrel.

However, even if the Greys were to be removed, do you really think you'll get Reds at your feeders? I think the answer, for the vast majority of suburbanites and even country folk across the UK, is no. So, it's not a question of this squirrel or that, but any squirrel or no squirrel.

Um. Not sure about that, Jos. Reds certainly come to feeders where they have the opportunity, so that isn't a problem. I'm not sure its an excuse for inaction, either. Presumably we advocate doing things because they're right to do, not so they can provide a spectacle for the hordes?

Happy to say someone else has nailed a Grey on the roads inside the grounds at work, so my error last week has been corrected. (And a native Carrion Crow has got a square meal.)

John

The greys in our garden come into the flat and nick off the worktops if the kitchen window is open, and nobody is in the kitchen! They've pinched bread, eaten chunks out of stuff in the fruit bowl and left pawprints on some wet paint in the windowsill....

Um. Not sure about that, Jos. Reds certainly come to feeders where they have the opportunity, so that isn't a problem. I'm not sure its an excuse for inaction, either.

Perhaps I wasn't so clear, more I was intending to say that Red Squirrels are absent from large areas and, unless we are directly attribuing this to the presence of Greys, the removal of the latter will not necessarily produce the former.

Grey squirrels are fantastic animals to observe. Very intelligent and they have a sense of humour too.
I love em. And no problems with them in the garden around the feeders either (touch wood).

Hi Osprey_watcher

The are and their cheekiness is there by no means at all. You re lucky they have not cost you a fortune in other ways.

Hi Jos

I am thinking that built up areas in England, are not the same as Scotland. The chances of seeing Red Squirrel's here where I am living is remote now. I will keep on wishing though.

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Um. Not sure about that, Jos. Reds certainly come to feeders where they have the opportunity, so that isn't a problem. I'm not sure its an excuse for inaction, either. Presumably we advocate doing things because they're right to do, not so they can provide a spectacle for the hordes?

Happy to say someone else has nailed a Grey on the roads inside the grounds at work, so my error last week has been corrected. (And a native Carrion Crow has got a square meal.)

John

Sorry John missed you out here. ;)

I loved it when I saw Red Squirrels on my feeders in Scotland. What are the chances of it happening in England - me thinks?

Love the fact that the Crow got a square meal from a Grey Squirrel though

Regards
Kathy

Perhaps I wasn't so clear, more I was intending to say that Red Squirrels are absent from large areas and, unless we are directly attribuing this to the presence of Greys, the removal of the latter will not necessarily produce the former.

Understood. Even assuming we dispose of the Greys it may be a long hard road back. It will be interesting to watch the progress of the Anglesey project to get some data on how reintroductions might work out.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back