• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s UK Birding List 2022 (1 Viewer)

Just got very lucky. Right place at the right time. Not a particularly rare bird but the first I’ve seen locally.

Max and I put his trailcam on a prominent badger track yesterday. In a field by the house. Went to check it this morning and up in the tree next to us was a male Pied Flycatcher. Happy days.

147. Pied Flycatcher
Always nice to get a new patch tick Rich! Any luck with the badgers?

Chris

Was off today as brother is back from Aus. Knocked him and my parents up a quick cooked breakfast and then decided what to do. Gar’s plans had changed last minute so he was coming with me.

An Alpine Swift had been seen at Goldcliff (which would have been a lifer) and a BW Stilt had been seen at Penclacwydd yesterday. Anyway. The decision was made for me when getting off the chair following said breakfast I managed to pull my back. Getting old is lovely sometimes :mad:

Down to Penclacwydd we went. Plenty of seats if required. At the Observatory the Stilt was nowhere to be seen. Bumped into John who I’d been birding with in early January. Cracking fella from Southerndown. I often get on with people who swear a lot :LOL:

Anyway, John was calling it a day and Gar and I headed to the British Steel hide. A birder from Tonyrefail (Chris?) got a message to say it was back. Gar legged it back to the centre and caught up with John in the car park. Luckily the surfboards in the back of the van gave his vehicle away.

We all enjoyed fairly brief but great views of the Stilt. Looked stunning in the sunshine. Very pleased. Back at the British Steel hide John had seen a Greenshank which I needed for the year. Sure enough John got on it and another year tick in the bag. Time to head home.

150. Black-winged Stilt (+)
151. Greenshank

Attachments

• 86F396D0-6D14-451D-A206-4E2AD2FC15AC.jpeg
    86F396D0-6D14-451D-A206-4E2AD2FC15AC.jpeg
    8.7 MB · Views: 4
100% agree Owen. A very pleasant surprise this morning. Have only been hearing them regularly over the last 5 years or so. I think we’re noticing them more now that we’re working from home.

Rich

I think we’re a good part of the world. Once you get up a bit from sea level. Never heard them growing up in Blackwood but they’re pretty reliable these days.

Cracking day out with Kev today. Started at Goldcliff at 7:30 but visibility was very poor. Year ticked Little Ringed Plover and then moved on.

Over to Ham Wall and the weather was amazing. Warblers everywhere including my first Whitethroat, Reed and Sedge Warblers.

From VP1 the summer plumaged Spotted Redshank really stood out amongst the Godwits. A couple of Ruff were also present. Good numbers of Bitterns booming and I had a brief view of one of them. As usual good numbers of Marsh Harriers and Great White Egrets were seen.

At the Avalon hide the Purple Heron quickly gave good flight views on a couple of occasions. And a Sparrowhawk landed on the gate next to the hide.

At the other hide by VP1 (can never remember the name of it) 3 Garganey were present.

Next it was off to Westhay stopping at Sweets Tea Room on the way. Really good coffee and the lime and courgette cake was superb. At Westhay we had the usual Warblers, Water Rail and good views of Marsh Harriers.

Decided to start heading back towards South Wales. Stopped off at Barrow Gurney Tanks. Took quite a while but we eventually located the long staying Long-tailed Duck on tank 1.

Time to chill out in the garden with a glass of red.

153. Little Ringed Plover
154. Spotted Redshank
155. Ruff
156. Reed Warbler
157. Sedge Warbler
158. Common Whitethroat
159. Purple Heron (+)
160. Long-tailed Duck
161. Garganey

Attachments

• C69101B4-373D-4397-BDF3-26F92CBC5EFA.jpeg
    C69101B4-373D-4397-BDF3-26F92CBC5EFA.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 2
I’ve almost gone for that LTD so many times this year. Got a lot of parenting when I get back in the U.K. but if it’s still there on my next day off a West Country trip seems a good idea

Lovely garganey.

I’ve almost gone for that LTD so many times this year. Got a lot of parenting when I get back in the U.K. but if it’s still there on my next day off a West Country trip seems a good idea

Lovely garganey.
Cheers Owen. Took a while to find the LTD. Let me know if you’re going for it and I’ll DM you where to park.

Rich

Checked out a Ring Ouzel site in the Beacons today. No joy but nice to get my first Wheatears of the year. Kestrels are now nesting very close to where the Ring Ouzels bred so I wonder if that’s keeping them away from there? :unsure:

The return journey via Ystradfellte also gave great views of my first Common Redstart of the year. A handsome male.

162. Northern Wheatear
163. Common Redstart

Headed up to the Beacons after work today. Great to see a male Ring Ouzel and hope they have a successful year. Also year ticked Tree Pipit.

On a different note Max and I put his trailcam up the field opposite 2 days ago. He was absolutely chuffed this morning when he checked it. Great shots of Fox, Badger and a Hedgehog. His first Hedgehog on the trail cam.

Early night tonight as we’re looking for Nightingales tomorrow.

164. Ring Ouzel
165. Tree Pipit

Beautiful day with my youngest over the dry side of the bridge today. Great to hear Nightingales at RSPB Highnam Woods. Had a very brief glimpse of one as well.

Over to Slimbridge it was really good to meet some birders I follow on Twitter - Peter, Barry, Lee and Cathy. All good company.

Plenty of families enjoying the decent weather and Max had a lifer in a Spotted Redshank. I managed to add a few to my year list as well.

166. Nightingale
167. Common Sandpiper
168. Common Crane
169. Little Gull

Max took these images.

Attachments

• 0805BE05-F0AE-44EE-B763-6880AEC88592.jpeg
    0805BE05-F0AE-44EE-B763-6880AEC88592.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
  • AB9C11DA-D346-4366-AC8B-4584D3CD39FE.jpeg
    AB9C11DA-D346-4366-AC8B-4584D3CD39FE.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 4F71D39F-78B6-4776-877C-D4BB2B489C2A.jpeg
    4F71D39F-78B6-4776-877C-D4BB2B489C2A.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 7
  • A2846FBD-5EF3-446A-8869-5484EF930118.jpeg
    A2846FBD-5EF3-446A-8869-5484EF930118.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back