• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls in Switzerland (again) (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I observed again gulls in Switzerland this week. I found some interesting individuals.

First, two candidates for first winter LBBG:

IMG_8194.jpegIMG_8205.jpeg

With my current knownledge, I would argue that the first one is in fact a YLG, due to the beak shape, the head shape, and the advanced molt in the coverts. But in the field the amount of dark brown feathers in the scapulars distinguished this bird to the others YLGs. There is also no "anchor pattern", contrary to the typic YLGs.

The second bird seems to fit better with LBBG criteria. What do you think?
Finally, I saw this very strange second-winter gull:
IMG_8210.jpeg

IMG_8153.jpeg

Compared to the second winter YLGs, the molt is clearly much less advanced. However, I don't think this is a Herring gull due the wing and tail patterns which match much better with the YLG, and the long primary projection. In the field, this gull looked smaller than the other YLG. I also found its grey feathers lighter than those of second winter YLGs, but that could be a illusion due to the rarity of the grey in that bird.

Is that only an anomalous YLG?

Have a good evening!

Attachments

• IMG_8205.jpeg
    IMG_8205.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 4
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back