• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (1 Viewer)

A quiet afternoon at Tice's although Gull numbers had increased, has had Cormorant (27) and there was 5 Wigeon in the margins. As I was about to leave having been forced off by the wind and cold I noticed 2 adult Mediterranean Gulls in amongst the Black-heads. This pair remained for 30 minutes or so and were also seen by Rich Horton before they were flushed. 1 Green Sandpiper also present.

Last edited:
One new garden tick for us in Ash Green today:

Red Kite :t:

It cruised around for a short while, terrorising the pigeons, before flying off towards the Hogs Back.

Allan

Had a quick look at Frensham and then Tice's this afternoon, but no migrants as yet.

Best at Frensham was 6 Goosander flying towards the stock pond (or whatever you call it).

At Tice's there were 3 Roe Deer on the far bank, and I had two (I think female) Sparrowhawk having a territorial dispute high above me. Also, a very striking Gull on the workings which was the size of a LBB, but had a very dark back (the colour of GBB). When I first saw it I immediately thought of Baltic Gull, as the recent photos and sightings of this species in Britain made it fresh in my mind. It initially looked quite slender as it washed in the water, but once it was up on the bank it did look a pretty normal LBB in shape and size (there were others nearby). I realise now it was probably an intermedius LBB.

Last edited:
Had a quick look at Frensham and then Tice's this afternoon, but no migrants as yet.

Best at Frensham was 6 Goosander flying towards the stock pond (or whatever you call it).

At Tice's there were 3 Roe Deer on the far bank, and I had two (I think female) Sparrowhawk having a territorial dispute high above me. Also, a very striking Gull on the workings which was the size of a LBB, but had a very dark back (the colour of GBB). When I first saw it I immediately thought of Baltic Gull, as the recent photos and sightings of this species in Britain made it fresh in my mind. It initially looked quite slender as it washed in the water, but once it was up on the bank it did look a pretty normal LBB in shape and size (there were others nearby). I realise now it was probably an intermedius LBB.

Sean,

the intermedius was there yesterday as well. There have been a number of this race this year. Little-ringed Plover at Tice's this afternoon (via Rich Horton and Kev Duncan).

Rich

A good day at Tice's today with 2 Little-ringed Plover and a Dunlin (Rich Horton and Dave Baker) and 1 LRP heard but strangely not located. I visited again mid afternoon to see little but the usual Waterfowl and a Little Egret. As I was about to leave I received a text from Matt Phelps stating that he had just seen 10 Waxwings bathing between Tice's and Tongham GP. I shot around there to meet Matt and soon found them feeding on buds in two Poplars. Many thanks Matt for the text - these were a patch bird for me. I left via the BWVR Road and luckily saw a Red Kite over Tongham. Cracking. I arrived home to look out of my kitchen window to find a female Blackcap feeding on a suit ball.

Other birds at Tice's. Gadwall (6), Shoveler (8), Tufted Duck (22), Teal (10), Sparrowhawk (1), Buzzard (1), Reed Bunting (2), Skylark (2), Great Spotted Woodpecker (1), Green Woodpecker (1). 45 species in all!

Rich

Last edited:
A good day at Tice's today with 2 Little-ringed Plover and a Dunlin (Rich Horton and Dave Baker) and 1 LRP heard but strangely not located. I visited again mid afternoon to see little but the usual Waterfowl and a Little Egret. As I was about to leave I received a text from Matt Phelps stating that he had just seen 10 Waxwings bathing between Tice's and Tongham GP. I shot around there to meet Matt and soon found them feeding on buds in two Poplars. Many thanks Matt for the text - these were a patch bird for me. I left via the BWVR Road and luckily saw a Red Kite over Tongham. Cracking. I arrived home to look out of my kitchen window to find a female Blackcap feedin on a suit ball.

Other birds at Tice's. Gadwall (6), Shoveler (8), Tufted Duck (22), Teal (10), Sparrowhawk (1), Buzzard (1), Reed Bunting (2), Skylark (2), Great Spotted Woodpecker (1), Green Woodpecker (1). 45 species in all!

Rich

Rich, it was great to see them, and to meet you! A unexpectedly fruitful couple of hours birding! Hopefully see you tomorrow.

I popped to Tice's again this afternoon, and it was nice to meet Rich Horton for the first time, although he informed me that the LRPs had gone missing. I spent some time searching, to no avail. Nothing else different to yesterday either. Wish i'd known about the Waxwings!

Not much in the rain at Tice's this morning. Did see a Chiffchaff flycatching from the hedgerow next to the bank though and, as I watched that one, a second one started singing further up the hedgerow. A nice surprise in such inclement weather!

As Matt stated, little at Tice's this morning so left for Seale via Costas in Farnham! A walk along the North Downs Way proved productive with 3 singing Yellowhammer, Linnet, Woodlark and Buzzard. I have been trying to hook up with Yellowhammer in this location most of this year so was most happy to find them. Given the amount of singing birds I think spring has arrived!

Rich

Popped down to Tices after the rain- fair weather birder me!- no sign of any waders bar one lone Lapwing. Small no's of the regular wildfowl present plus singing Skylark, Reed Bunting, & good views of a hunting Sparrowhawk.

John.

I've also been trying to connect with Yellowhammers for quite a while now so if you could give me an idea of the area you saw them Rich that would be helpful.

There are still hundreds of redpolls mixed with with siskins in the Bramshill forest near where I work plus large numbers of redwings moving through. I imagine these will be disappearing very shortly. Also saw a Red Kite drifting over M3 junction 4A at the weekend, probably the same bird that's been seen by others.

Nick

I've also been trying to connect with Yellowhammers for quite a while now so if you could give me an idea of the area you saw them Rich that would be helpful.

There are still hundreds of redpolls mixed with with siskins in the Bramshill forest near where I work plus large numbers of redwings moving through. I imagine these will be disappearing very shortly. Also saw a Red Kite drifting over M3 junction 4A at the weekend, probably the same bird that's been seen by others.

Nick

Nick,

leave Seale heading towards Elstead. As you leave the village you'll see a style on the right just before the large fields. Cross this style and follow the hedgerow. The Yellowhammers were half way down. Try here or, if not successful, have a look around the football pitch at Seale - they have been seen here.

Rich

2 Little-ringed Plover at Tice's Meadow this morning (Via Rich Horton). 8 Golden Plover yesterday so anything could turn up from now on.

Rich

The 2 LRP's were still present this afternoon on the workings, also had 2 Chiffchaffs this morning - Spring has arrived!

John.

Re the Yellowhammers, thanks Rich, I hope to get down there this weekend. I agree with Johnny H, Spring has definitely arrived this week.

A flashback to winter: attached photo of a lone Waxwing (rather unusual) I found during my first visit to Tices on the 27th Dec.

Nick

Attachments

• Bohemian Waxwing_27-12-10_1a.jpg
    Bohemian Waxwing_27-12-10_1a.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 46
Re the Yellowhammers, thanks Rich, I hope to get down there this weekend. I agree with Johnny H, Spring has definitely arrived this week.

A flashback to winter: attached photo of a lone Waxwing (rather unusual) I found during my first visit to Tices on the 27th Dec.

Nick

Nick,

cracking picture mate. There were 10 Waxwings at Tice's over the weekend.

Rich

First Sand Martin of the Spring at Tices this morning, also 1 Little Ringed Plover still & at least 1 Chiffchaff. Also seen - Green Sandpiper, Little Egret, 2 Snipe, 4 Reed Bunting, & 2 Stock Dove.

John.

First Sand Martin of the Spring at Tices this morning, also 1 Little Ringed Plover still & at least 1 Chiffchaff. Also seen - Green Sandpiper, Little Egret, 2 Snipe, 4 Reed Bunting, & 2 Stock Dove.

John.

John, great news, albeit not unexpected, with the Sand Martin. having left London now only 2 miles away so within striking distance should something exceptional turns up. Bring on the wader passage.

Rich

Gents (and Ladies), given the amount of posts on Tice's Meadow on this thread is there an appetite to start a Tice's Meadow thread as we appear to have taken over this one. This would give individuals a single area for Tice's news and allow more targetted posts for the tri-county border. Any thoughts?

Rich

Gents (and Ladies), given the amount of posts on Tice's Meadow on this thread is there an appetite to start a Tice's Meadow thread as we appear to have taken over this one. This would give individuals a single area for Tice's news and allow more targetted posts for the tri-county border. Any thoughts?

Rich

Great idea, Rich! Would make it easier for new people to find the thread too.
Good news about the Sand Martin, John. I'm planning to get up Tice's early tomorrow after dropping my car into the garage, so hopefully may be a few more Martins present. Will let you know.

Matt.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back