• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harried ID please - Montagu's or Pallid ? (1 Viewer)

Biju.P.B

Hi.. Got this image from the Koonthankulam Bird Sanctuary, South India .. last week (5.12.2014). I'm confused whether it is Pallid or Montagu's .. I'm more inclined towards the pallid.. but, wanted make sure.. regards, Biju

Attachments

• DSC_8260.jpg
    DSC_8260.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 296
Females are not easy. Do you have any images of the bird in flight?

The lack of a collar is not good for Pallid, but you definitely cannot rule it out based on this character alone.

That is a wonderful shot . Never seen a Montagu's Harrier so this picture as been help to me I have been looking through my new book (The Raptors of Europe & the Middle East) as I am trying to learn about raptors . Would I be correct in thinking that this is a female with the yellow iris?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back