• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone seen the new Meopta spotting scope (3 Viewers)

Digiscoping with Iphone 4 & KOWA adapter.

Here is a photo i took late in the afternoon with the Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD at 60x.I used my Iphone 4 and the kowa adapter with ring TSN-AR66HL. I used the kowa camera app with a timing delay of 1s.

Anders

Attachments

• Bilder iphone Anders 1 046.jpg
    Bilder iphone Anders 1 046.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 302
Just a quick update. I've been using the Meopta with 30-60x wide all summer and my opinion remains very positive. It's just a great scope at a great price.

The focus is fast, but the only time it feels faster than I would like is when I'm pushing 60x. At that point, when you'd like a quick touch of fine focus to nail it, it feels faster than I'd like. But the stiff focus (it remains stiff and I have no doubt will stay that way) slows things down just enough that fine focus at 60x is not too difficult. At the low end, the fast focus is just super! You're on focus quicker than any scope I've used.

It has such a wide field throughout the zoom range that I find myself going from 30x to 60x quite often, skipping much of the middle. This is actually really nice. High mag and useful field of view.

At the low end the AMD (it looks like AMD to me, not barrel distortion) is quite noticable when panning, but I've never been too bothered by that. Pincushion looks odd to me as well when panning a scope. It seems to disappear by about 40x and when you're not panning you'll never see it.

On a clear night, it showed me the rings of Saturn better than any spotting scope I've ever used. The sharpness and contrast wowed even my wife, who generally finds my optics silly and arcane. She said, "OK, that's impressive." Of course it was a really nice night for stargazing as well. That's why I took it out.

Quite a few folks have peered through it in the field and I can sum up the comments pretty quick: "Wow!" I think the color and contrast is what gets them the most. One guy looked through it and said "What kind of scope is that? I thought it was a Swarovski." :t:

It's a keeper for me anyway. Worth a look.

Mark

One guy looked through it and said "What kind of scope is that? I thought it was a Swarovski."

Mark,

There were persitent rumours a few years ago that Meopta were manufacturing scopes for one of the big three. I once asked a Meopta rep at Photokina if this were the case and he merely smiled and said: "No comment." I don't think there is any reason to assume that in this case lower price means lower quality.

At Photokina last year most of the top scopes were lined up next to one another and a quick look was sufficient to convince me that I would definitely prefer the S2 to a DiaScope 85 regardless of price. Comparisons with the other major competitors would have required a much more detailed analysis.

John

PS:- Meopta is the choice not only of the Czech, but also of the Norwegian biathlon team.

Last edited:
There were persitent rumours a few years ago that Meopta were manufacturing scopes for one of the big three. I once asked a Meopta rep at Photokina if this were the case and he merely smiled and said: "No comment." I don't think there is any reason to assume that in this case lower price means lower quality.

I read a rumour somewhere that they made the first incarnations of both the Leica and the Zeiss scopes.

Hermann

Here is a photo i took late in the afternoon with the Meopta Meostar S2 82 HD at 60x.I used my Iphone 4 and the kowa adapter with ring TSN-AR66HL. I used the kowa camera app with a timing delay of 1s.

Anders

I refer to myself here :t:

To get a perfect fit of the kowa adapter mentioned, to the ocular, I first twist up the eyecup a bit then take a rubber O-ring (i measured it to approx. thickness 3.5mm, inner diameter 41.4mm) and put it over the eyecup, and then twist down the eyecup so the o-ring is held firmly between ocular body and eyecup. Now I can take the iphone with kowa adapter and put it on the ocular. I keep the "phone body" upwards and the put the adapter circular ring on the ocular and when it is fully "down" on the ocular i then turn the phone body clockwise until it is horisontally to secure a better fit so to speak. This is the position i take photos from, here is one.....white tailed eagle at 150m, 60X magnification, and it was raining a lot....I was sitting still on a chair under a party tent, lucky me...the eagle sat there for an hour...

Anders

Attachments

• IMG_0769 havsörn ad i regn.jpg
    IMG_0769 havsörn ad i regn.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 229
Mark,

There were persitent rumours a few years ago that Meopta were manufacturing scopes for one of the big three. I once asked a Meopta rep at Photokina if this were the case and he merely smiled and said: "No comment."

I know the box for my former Diascope 85 t FL was clearly marked "Made in Czech Republic." Doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back