• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose? (5 Viewers)

ReinierB

Netherlands
If you could only have two pairs of binoculars. Which two would you chose to cover up all your needs? If you still would miss something, you may choose a third. But there must be a good reason for it.
I am asking this question myself... Having two pairs already and always said two is enough. But still playing with the idea to add a third one. But where does it stop? Isn't it like, I want more more more... can't you just be satisfied with what you already have? It is not that the money is growing on my back. And even if it does, there are probably better causes.
Just asking myself. Bird and nature watching is my passion, so no problem that is costs something. But can it be covered in two pairs of binoculars and one scope?

Ps. I have 10x32, 8x42 and 17-40x56. But asking myself do I miss a pocket bin, 10x50 or 12 power?

If you could only have two pairs of binoculars. Which two would you chose to cover up all your needs? If you still would miss something, you may choose a third. But there must be a good reason for it.
I am asking this question myself... Having two pairs already and always said two is enough. But still playing with the idea to add a third one. But where does it stop? Isn't it like, I want more more more... can't you just be satisfied with what you already have? It is not that the money is growing on my back. And even if it does, there are probably better causes.
Just asking myself. Bird and nature watching is my passion, so no problem that is costs something. But can it be covered in two pairs of binoculars and one scope?

Ps. I have 10x32, 8x42 and 17-40x56. But asking myself do I miss a pocket bin, 10x50 or 12 power?
Reinier, i hear you and i understand what you mean.

But i just gave up on restricting myself and if i have the money and i see a binocular that i want i just buy it because untill now i never had regrets and it makes me happy ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

As to your question: i would keep my Leica Duovid 8-12x42 and my Leica UV 10x25. And of course i would miss something and therefore i would also keep my Zeiss 15x60.

My two would be a truly pocketable everyday carry binocular and a 7x full-size binocular for dedicated birdwatching.

My current pair are Swarovski Curio 7x21 and Zen-Ray ED2 7x36. If I need anymore magnification I'll use a scope.

I believe that you can get by with just one pair.... and for me it would be my Leica BN 8x32.
Small enough to take with you, bright enough for 95% of the day, wide enough FOV, just 'good enough' everything really, and excellent in some areas. Perfect ergonimics with that model for me.... best I've ever had. I'd never really dabbled in the 32mm market, thinking they were neither one thing nor the other, but turns out they seem 'just right'.
However, I like these so much I decided they would NOT be taken paddle boarding etc, so I bought some Steiner Military's which suit that application perfectly. I actually 'want' to throw these around a bit๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…
But that's just me being OCD, and if push came to shove, I could bin the Steiners.
I might want to add a Habicht 7x42 for low light evening work, but the 8x32's are better than I expected there anyway.
So... just ONE (y)....... although a second 'rough' pair is nice, to save the good ones..... and maybe a third for very low light.... ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

But One...... maybe

I used to have around 8 binoculars at any given time , these days I have 4 .
I need to have 3 binoculars . A Nikon MHG 8x42 for daytime viewing , Astrophysics (BA8)15x70 for the night sky and a Pentax Papilio 8.5x21 for macro views of bugs and flowers or any other object that requires upclose and intimate views .
I do have all that I need plus a spare for sharing , 8x42 Celestron Regal ED . Would like to upgrade the 15x70 at some time when funds allow .

Last edited:
I have three pairs of binoculars which I feel is completely adequate
Hawke Endurance ED 8x25 (only used in family walks or in city centre) - a few months old
Swarovski 8x32 EL 11 years old and
Swarovski 10x42 EL also 11 years old

An 8x42 and any low magnification wide angle, like my Komz 6x24, skeleton bino 6x25 or an old Amplivid. Not sure there are any new binos with those specifications.
For the night sky however I'd need a few more. A 7x50, my starfield bino 2x54 and the Canon 18x50IS will do nicely.

A full time birding binocular and a pocket binocular, I think, are the best combination if you only have two binoculars. I find 7x and 8x are easier to hold steady, have a bigger FOV and much better DOF than the higher magnifications. I personally like Swarovski's because they have a wide FOV with sharp edges. I would recommend these two. I have tried all the pocket binoculars and I like the Curio's the best because they have a bigger FOV and the 7x is easier to hold steady which is important with a compact, they have a bigger EP which makes eye placement easier, and they have sharper edges and are brighter than either the 8x20 Leica Trinovid BCA or 8x20 Ultravid BR. The Swarovski CLP 8x25 and Zeiss Victory 8x25 are not truly pocketable, being too big.

1) Swarovski NL 8x32

2) Swarovski Curio 7x21P1280254.JPG

Last edited:

Hmm, you titled the thread,

"Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose?"​

I interpret that to mean if you could only have two, which two? But then went on to ask,
I am asking this question myself... Having two pairs already and always said two is enough. But still playing with the idea to add a third one. But where does it stop? Isn't it like, I want more more more...
Would seem the pull to add a third and the question where does it stop is a different thing?

One of the most difficult questions in life. Owning more than 2 pairs and I'd say I'll keep my UV 8x20 and the EL 8,5x42.

If I were asked to keep only one pair, I would barely hesitate before saying UV+ 8x32 which would also be my third set.
Smart thinking jafritten, i also would take my Leica UV 8x32 if i could only have one.
Hmmm:unsure: or the Leica 10x25โ€ฆ.difficult.

One of the most difficult questions in life. Owning more than 2 pairs and I'd say I'll keep my UV 8x20 and the EL 8,5x42.

If I were asked to keep only one pair, I would barely hesitate before saying UV+ 8x32 which would also be my third set.

Guys, great thread.

One bin only -- either Zeiss VP 8x25 or Kowa 6.5x32.

Two bins -- either both of the above, or even better I like Jafritten's proposed pairing, the UV 8x20 and EL 8.5.

Three bins -- as a practical matter (if the Leica Duovid is excluded) it's hard to imagine that three wouldn't cover more ground than two.
A 20/25 pocket, a mid size high quality 10x32 and either a 7x42 or the Canon 12x36 IS III.

Mike

It really depends on where you live (shore/coast...inland...desert...forest)...

But for me in he desert for the most part...I would have a 7x35 Leica Retro (Which I have), and a 10x of sorts. Right now I have a 10x42, but wouldn't mind if I traded it in for a 10x32 or 10x30. .

Hmm, you titled the thread,

"Having 2 pairs of binoculars. Which would you choose?"​

I interpret that to mean if you could only have two, which two? But then went on to ask,

Would seem the pull to add a third and the question where does it stop is a different thing?
True, that was my question. And after that just some comments to explain where the initial question came from.

And just curious how others think...

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record I'll stick with the SLC 8x56 for the main one.

Second bin - who knows. I'm quite enjoying the little nikon Eii 8x30 at the moment, really nice view with top handling but the slc's still getting the nod more often than not for my slow ambles up and down the Ivel valley from my door step. It's cold here at the moment so the eii's focuser gets a bit stiff and I usually set off before dawn so the '56 is much prefered!

The eii's a good candidate though, it doesn't shout IM BIRDING half as loudly as the slc so I take it out more when I'm out and about with the family for walks and wanders.

Maybe when I pick up the FL 10x42 tomorrow it will throw a spanner in the works, if I'm going to get on with any 10x it should be that one - but more likely it will end up going to a more appreciative home like virtually every other 10x I've ever owned, a pre bling Zeiss is a wonderful thing though but unfortunately that would be 3.

Will

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back