• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Endurance 8x56 binoculars (1 Viewer)

TheThing

Birder
Many years ago, I had a pair of Hawke Prostalk 8x56 which were superb. A burgeoning family meant that a new pushchair was required in a bit of a hurry so something had to give...and I've regretted it every day since. Every. Day.

Fast forward to this year and a significant birthday loomed. The long suffering Mrs NT wanted to buy me something special and bins ticked the box. A bit of searching revealed that Hawke no longer produce the Prostalk, but the Endurance looked similar.

Out of the box they are a hefty pair, weighing in at 1005g however, my precious bins are a pair of Russian 7x56 that my dad got back in the 70s from a sub commander, but that's a whole different story... Anything in comparison is quite light weight.

They are very well made. A good, tactile rubber armored body, with grips on the outside where the hands naturally hold and thumb depressions on the inside.

Twist up eyecup, with multi position are very comfortable on the eye socket. They come with eyepiece covers, that attach to the strap and objective covers that have straps attaching them to he body of the bins.

The strap is a good, wide one, with a springyness to it, to counter the weight of thr bins. It's very comfortable to wear, but can get a little hot in warm weather due to its slightly rubberised type material. Over a jacket in the spring/autumn/winter though, you won't notice.

The usual soft carry case and a cleaning cloth complete the package.

Vital stats: -

FoV 117m (or 351' at 1000 yards)
Minimum focus is given at 2.5m
Eye relief 15mm

In use: -

Now I like my bins with a big objective and, unless you're buying astro bins, you won't get much larger. The immediate thing to notice is how much light they grab. Peering into trees and bushes, I'm always surprised about how much detail can be seen. In fact, at Staines Reservoirs recently, birders I was standing next to asked me to move away as they claimed my bins were making things darker. True story.

Talking of detail, these are extra sharp. The image is crisp and clear with no softness at the edges and not a hint of CA at all. The colours are just superb! No black balling at all through these bins.

Weight isn't really an issue in use. Any tiredness in your arms is forgotten about as you gawp in wonder at how good a view you're getting.

Nitrogen purged and waterproof, plus they're a good looking pair of bins.

For the price, they really cannot be beaten and give better views than some bins 4 or 5 times their price.

503395bd5d987d7603578a4f0b5b4ecf.jpg
f11877ea20f3db70b6cc7180fbce1047.jpg
ba9b2c54b2de086e5f4bff587ccdc1ad.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I bet these would be great for low light winter raptor roosts, have you or anyone else compared them against regular mid to top end 8x42's etc.

Matt

Have you still got your Hawke 8x56 ? How are you finding them ? I’m looking for something similar. Was thinking Swarovski, but if Hawke can do the job and save me a grand, I’m in.

I've used the hawke endurance 10x42 a fair bit, thoroughly decent bins with no obvious vices. It looks like the 8x56 use standard Schmidt pechan prisms but there are good value alternatives that use abbe konigs if transmission is important to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back