• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me Bird Forum, you're my only hope... new binoculars, £1000. UK. (1 Viewer)

The trouble with the Conquests are that it's similar to holding a brick, try the HGs or if you can stretch the sfl.

Like I said I tend to only go 32 nl pure if I’m carrying other stuff so I kind of agree. Conquest on neck and a scope on your back and a camera is noticeable weight and gets me aching but if you just have bins conquest arent that heavy

Somehow, I just can't see Princess Leia having "GeordieStew" as her username, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I don't think other people can really help you on the 8/10x question. If you're going to be doing a lot of chasing warblers with ADHD through undergrowth a few yards from your nose, then go for the widest field of view. Otherwise, it's a very personal preference - some people see more with 10x, others feel they don't because of lower image stability and so feel they're just giving up on FOV for no gain.

I'd endorse suggestions to look for good 2nd hand option. But if you're set on new, you might want to look at Bushwear.co.uk (I'm presuming I'm allowed to cite the retailer as there's another thread on here where people do). They have good prices on both the Zeiss SFL 8x40 and the SF 10x42 right now, although only the former is close-ish to your price ceiling.

What about Swarovski Habicht 8x30? Alpha standard glass, porros, waterproof, small and light. Some folk don't like the 13mm eye relief or the slightly stiffer focusser. But you'd have plenty of change from your budget.

What about Swarovski Habicht 8x30? Alpha standard glass, porros, waterproof, small and light. Some folk don't like the 13mm eye relief or the slightly stiffer focusser. But you'd have plenty of change from your budget.

I think I'd want the smaller form factor of non-porros. Just fitting them in places and carrying them with camera and monopod etc.

I may be entirely wrong. But that's my current thinking.

The weather in the Vyrnwy Valley yesterday was pants but it changed as we drove to the RSPB Reserve in Conwy and the sun blessed us with lovely sunshine and clear blue skies. Perfect for a bit of bino testing.

The RSPB shop has a fantastic collection of scopes and bino's and I was able to try all the ones on my list, that is all the x42 Pure NL's, the Zeiss SF and the Leica Noctivid. Like a kid in a sweetshop it was an absolute delight to test such beautiful binoculars and, having narrowed it down to the 10x42's, I was able to test all three back to back.

I brought along my GPO 8x42, GPO 12.5x50, Hawke Frontier EDX's and my Habicht 7x42's to add a bit of comparison and was very suprised to see those non-Alpha's do so well up against what is arguably the best three bino series around.

But I came to select a pair of Alpha's and whilst each had their strengths and weaknesses ( I am not a technical wizard into comparing FOV, Mags, edge to edge or CA) I chose the binocular for me based on how it performed optically through my Mk1 eyeballs and how it felt handling and tactile wise.

Optically, irrespective of the lens tints and the colours of each marque, I was staggered at how sharp all three were. Not really a fag paper twixt them but handling wise and gut feeling, the Leica's dropped out first. The Zeiss was beautiful, ticked most of the boxes (again for me) but the NL had a magic that I cannot explain...it just felt right and the FOV just sold itself. I saw more with the NL's than the other two and the edge to edge clarity and sharpness astounded me.

The NL Pure 10x42's won the day and I think that I have bought an exceptional piece of glass. Even the Long Haired General, the keeper of the purse, thought them beautiful and who am I to disagree?

What I did come away with was that the Habicht's are an indecently sharp pair of binoculars, the GPO's punch way above their price bracket and are really exceptional bino's, and the Hawke's are excellent bino's but optically outgunned by the others.

A great day and hopefully a great pair of bino's to take on our walks by the River Vyrnwy, which flows in front of our house, and where Herons, Egrets big and small and Red Kites are in abundance....and the occasional Fast Jet from RAF Valley which scares the living daylights out of our softie Rottweiler, Archie.

Thank you so much for that update. It's really useful.

I guess the GPO are still in the game for me.
Howay man! (Dad was from Jarrow so not taking the Michael!), the GPO's are unbelievably good bino's. I hear what some have said about resale value and the non-prestige badge but who cares...I don't. This review is very complimentary...https://backwoodspursuit.com/26-best-binoculars-for-hunting/ and Neil English has done some excellent test reports on the GPO thread on this forum.

It is a shame that you cannot handle them (or the others on your wish list) as you have mentioned your search for a bino shop in the NE but WEX have a branch in Newcastle and are GPO stockists so I am sure they could get a pair in. I bought mine from one of the nicest dealers I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, James of Stealth Birding, who is both courteous and extremely professional. He has a returns system should you not like them for any reason...and he is open to discuss pricing.

Howay man! (Dad was from Jarrow so not taking the Michael!), the GPO's are unbelievably good bino's. I hear what some have said about resale value and the non-prestige badge but who cares...I don't. This review is very complimentary...https://backwoodspursuit.com/26-best-binoculars-for-hunting/ and Neil English has done some excellent test reports on the GPO thread on this forum.

It is a shame that you cannot handle them (or the others on your wish list) as you have mentioned your search for a bino shop in the NE but WEX have a branch in Newcastle and are GPO stockists so I am sure they could get a pair in. I bought mine from one of the nicest dealers I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, James of Stealth Birding, who is both courteous and extremely professional. He has a returns system should you not like them for any reason...and he is open to discuss pricing.
Not a huge football fan but my Dad is. Doubt he's overly proud to be a geordie this evening.

I think I'll just order the GPO on Monday. I'm unlikely to sell and would rather keep as a rainy day binocular if I ever bought alpha. I just want something better than I have now.

The human eye is the limiting factor with binoculars, the magnification is simply too low to perceive differences in resolution with binoculars of the same magnification.
Larger binocular openings only generate more light but unfortunately no better resolution.

Andreas

I'm taking today to decide whether to save my pennies for another couple of months and go alpha.

And eating cake.

The weather in the Vyrnwy Valley yesterday was pants but it changed as we drove to the RSPB Reserve in Conwy and the sun blessed us with lovely sunshine and clear blue skies. Perfect for a bit of bino testing.

The RSPB shop has a fantastic collection of scopes and bino's and I was able to try all the ones on my list, that is all the x42 Pure NL's, the Zeiss SF and the Leica Noctivid. Like a kid in a sweetshop it was an absolute delight to test such beautiful binoculars and, having narrowed it down to the 10x42's, I was able to test all three back to back.

I brought along my GPO 8x42, GPO 12.5x50, Hawke Frontier EDX's and my Habicht 7x42's to add a bit of comparison and was very suprised to see those non-Alpha's do so well up against what is arguably the best three bino series around.

But I came to select a pair of Alpha's and whilst each had their strengths and weaknesses ( I am not a technical wizard into comparing FOV, Mags, edge to edge or CA) I chose the binocular for me based on how it performed optically through my Mk1 eyeballs and how it felt handling and tactile wise.

Optically, irrespective of the lens tints and the colours of each marque, I was staggered at how sharp all three were. Not really a fag paper twixt them but handling wise and gut feeling, the Leica's dropped out first. The Zeiss was beautiful, ticked most of the boxes (again for me) but the NL had a magic that I cannot explain...it just felt right and the FOV just sold itself. I saw more with the NL's than the other two and the edge to edge clarity and sharpness astounded me.

The NL Pure 10x42's won the day and I think that I have bought an exceptional piece of glass. Even the Long Haired General, the keeper of the purse, thought them beautiful and who am I to disagree?

What I did come away with was that the Habicht's are an indecently sharp pair of binoculars, the GPO's punch way above their price bracket and are really exceptional bino's, and the Hawke's are excellent bino's but optically outgunned by the others.

A great day and hopefully a great pair of bino's to take on our walks by the River Vyrnwy, which flows in front of our house, and where Herons, Egrets big and small and Red Kites are in abundance....and the occasional Fast Jet from RAF Valley which scares the living daylights out of our softie Rottweiler, Archie.
You will find much “discussion”, a lot of debate, and oodles argument here around why the best isn’t really the best, or even better than the “almost as good, but not quite”.

You have selected a binocular to last the rest of your life, which will provide delight and amazement every time you look through it. Do not be deterred by the naysayers here, who argue that the best really isn’t better. Go forth and enjoy your purchase every day from now on.

You will find much “discussion”, a lot of debate, and oodles argument here around why the best isn’t really the best, or even better than the “almost as good, but not quite”.

You have selected a binocular to last the rest of your life, which will provide delight and amazement every time you look through it. Do not be deterred by the naysayers here, who argue that the best really isn’t better. Go forth and enjoy your purchase every day from now on. whch the
Thank you! I most certainly will. I do enjoy researching, listening, watching and reading all the reviews, tests and thoughts of others and then narrowing the field before choosing what suits me best. I couldn't give a flying wotsit what others think or dismiss. I am buying for me and me alone and brand loyalty means nothing, I choose on merit.

I think I'd want the smaller form factor of non-porros. Just fitting them in places and carrying them with camera and monopod etc.

I may be entirely wrong. But that's my current thinking.
Form-factor / pack size often matters a lot to me for pretty much this reason. It’s a big part of how my relatively compact Zeiss 8x32 FLs ended up as my most-used binoculars…

…Mike

Current binoculars
Hawke Endurance ED 10x42
Svbony SV202 8x32

I visited an RSPB site on Sunday and tried out the alpha binoculars. NL Pure 8x42 & 10x42, Noctivid 8x42 & 10x42 and Victory SF 8x42 & 10x42. All wonderful. Stunning! But at £2500, £1900, £2400 ish respectively, I simply don't think I'll ever benefit from them.

I've tried reading as much as I can. And know that most of you will tell me to buy alpha (probably correctly so).

I'm primarily a photographer, but do appreciate looking through binoculars occasionally.
I am a fairly early riser, so "decent" low light would be appreciated.
Still terribly torn on 8x42 and 10x42. Obviously the fov on the NL Pure is just great. But hey ho.

I don't want used binoculars. New only. Budget approximately £1000. Could be stretched a little.

Which brands and models should I be looking at/through?

Thank you in advance.
So high end premiums are ruled out. First decide on 8x or 10x and if you want 42mm.

$1000 range, GPO HD series, conquest, Nikon Monarch HG, maybe Leica Trinovid HD (lots of CA in 10x).
Vortex Viper HD on sale now B&H $799
Vortex Razor UHD on sale now B&H $1299 (alpha level glass AK prisms ,very bright ) a clear step up than the others mentioned. Build quality no better than the $1000 range. But with vortex you get lifetime warranty repair or replace. All the above except Razor HD made in MIJ and MIP.

Low light look at the GPO 50mm series with AK prisms.

Paul

Not a huge football fan but my Dad is. Doubt he's overly proud to be a geordie this evening.

I think I'll just order the GPO on Monday. I'm unlikely to sell and would rather keep as a rainy day binocular if I ever bought alpha. I just want something better than I have now.
Nikon MHG if you want 42mm to hike and carry them around. Zeiss Conquest 8x32 if you want smaller binos for hiking and carrying around. GPO 42s are large and heavy. Fine for a house bino but not in the field. If you find a deal on Conquest 42s and want to save money over the Nikons, get them. You will be happy with these choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back