• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me Bird Forum, you're my only hope... new binoculars, £1000. UK. (1 Viewer)

Sounds like you really don't use binoculars for your observations much, and you have two binoculars which likely do the job already. Perhaps if the want to spend $$ is there, is to spend it on something else related to your observations. Spending 1000 pounds can go for another camera lens/accessories as well.
It's a good point. Next lens spend is £12k so probably ways off.

I was thinking about spending £1000 on some binoculars and some more on a thermal imaging device. Still undecided though.

I'm surprised the Conquest HD haven't appeared more. As Germans say, there is still "air above" (as in room for improvement), but not much, to be honest. Pristine view, tough as nails, way under your budget, good warranty and repairability. Honestly, a pair of binos not to miss much.

Geordiestew,
GPO and Meopta have a number of binocular types that can very well compete with binoculars of the larger companies and they have a more friendly price level. Read the different test reports among others on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'm surprised the Conquest HD haven't appeared more. As Germans say, there is still "air above" (as in room for improvement), but not much, to be honest. Pristine view, tough as nails, way under your budget, good warranty and repairability. Honestly, a pair of binos not to miss much.
I had a pair (ultimately traded to a friend for a rare set of SARD Mk 43 6x42s) and thought it great glass. Well deserving of a recommendation.
~ Jack

I think current favourites are GPO Passion HD. I'd have preferred to have seen them in the flesh, but will most likely order online tomorrow. Until I change my mind!

Yes I have the Zeiss Conquest 8x42 and they are excellent, not sure of the price new, but would probably be around the OPs price point!

I also recommend opticron Aurora 8x42, since I have owned it my swaro El 10x42 ended up in the drawer... Excellent optics and very good ergonomics

Geordiestew,
GPO and Meopta have a number of binocular types that can very well compete with binoculars of the larger companies and they have a more friendly price level. Read the different test reports among others on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor.
Gijs van Ginkel
One thing to consider is in my experience GPO and Meopta have terrible resale. If you buy a Meopta or GPO, you had better plan on keeping them a long time. A Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 or Nikon HG 10x42 hold their value much better, and it could be important in the future if you decide to upgrade. Based on my experience trying to sell a GPO or Meopta binocular as Taylor Swift says, I would never ever ever buy one again. They sit like a lump on a log in the classifieds unless you discount them 50%.

Last edited:
Between my Habicht 10 x 40, HG 8 x 42 and GPO Passion HD 10 x 42, all really nice binoculars, I will throw in some good words for the underdog, GPO. It exudes quality in fabrication, got Leica colours and maybe the best eyecups of any bino. Not the lightest, not flat field, or very wide field, but an altogether very accomplished birding tool.

Another vote for the conquests. Most like the 8x32 and 10x42, but I’ve been smitten with my 8x42 and wrote about them in the Zeiss sub-forum. Make sure you have Zeiss send you the extended eye cups (free of charge).

I would (on the basis of limited experience) suggest Conquests. I have the 8x32s and they really are good (and pretty tough). They are highly regarded here. I have Swaros which (off the top of my head) cost a thousand quid more, so is there a thousand quidsworth of difference? I don't think so really.

Really torn between the Conquest and the GPO

But also torn between 8x42 and 10x42. Arrgggghhh.

Thank you all so much for your info so far though! Invaluable!

GPO Passion HD 8x42 - £840
GPO Passion HD 10x42 - £884

Conquest 8x42 - £895 (10%/£75 off today) - £820
Conquest 10x42 - £999 (10%/£75 off today) - £925

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back