• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help me Bird Forum, you're my only hope... new binoculars, £1000. UK. (2 Viewers)

Really torn between the Conquest and the GPO

But also torn between 8x42 and 10x42. Arrgggghhh.

Thank you all so much for your info so far though! Invaluable!
It's a real pity you can't get yourself to a good optics dealer and test out the various models you're considering. Too many options and variables to make this decision 'blind', it's not an insignificant amount of money you're spending.

Just my 2p...🙂

It's a real pity you can't get yourself to a good optics dealer and test out the various models you're considering. Too many options and variables to make this decision 'blind', it's not an insignificant amount of money you're spending.

Just my 2p...🙂
I absolutely agree.

Testing some alpha binoculars was useful.

At least if I order online I can return. Not ideal.

Don't listen to anyone here.... go shopping.

BUT.... if you are going to listen.....
Conquests.... and probably 8x32.... they still work unless it's quite dark, and have good field of view, are bombproof!
But I would probably go CL 8x30..... they are still ok at dawn/dusk, optics are better than Conquest in my opinion, beautiful to hold and use, and easy to carry with camera, as they are small and lightweight... under 500g.

BUT.... go shopping.... or we would all be buying the exact same pair of bins!!!

Just on the note you said you wouldn't go 2nd hand.....

2nd hand from a reputable dealer, Focalpoint Optics, Ace optics etc, gets you a warranted and checked instrument.
£1000 gets you a £1600 optic....
Worth a thought, and if you've made a mistake, don't like them after 6 months (this does happen) or want to go 'alpha' after a year.... WHICH YOU WILL ..... then you will lose little or no money to change.

Warranted 2nd hand can be a smart start into optics.

Just on the note you said you wouldn't go 2nd hand.....

2nd hand from a reputable dealer, Focalpoint Optics, Ace optics etc, gets you a warranted and checked instrument.
£1000 gets you a £1600 optic....
Worth a thought, and if you've made a mistake, don't like them after 6 months (this does happen) or want to go 'alpha' after a year.... WHICH YOU WILL ..... then you will lose little or no money to change.

Warranted 2nd hand can be a smart start into optics.
+1. I bought a Habicht 7x42 from Ace Optics last week. Described as 'excellent' but everything was 'as new'. Registered with Swarovski who said they were in fact brand new and they added the additional years warranty on top of the standard 10 years. Bought at a considerable saving from new.

Off to RSPB Conwy now to test the NL Pure 8 and 10x42's as well as the Zeiss SF's. With that amount of investment I am reluctant to order online and agree with all previous posters that your own eyeball Mk1's and tactile feel are the deciding factors especially when Alpha's are so close.

Taking my GPO/Geco's and Hawke Frontier EDX's to compare.

+1. I bought a Habicht 7x42 from Ace Optics last week. Described as 'excellent' but everything was 'as new'. Registered with Swarovski who said they were in fact brand new and they added the additional years warranty on top of the standard 10 years. Bought at a considerable saving from new.

Off to RSPB Conwy now to test the NL Pure 8 and 10x42's as well as the Zeiss SF's. With that amount of investment I am reluctant to order online and agree with all previous posters that your own eyeball Mk1's and tactile feel are the deciding factors especially when Alpha's are so close.

Taking my GPO/Geco's and Hawke Frontier EDX's to compare.

I've handled all of the "usual" alphas. So mostly know what to expect. Obviously can't have them back to back, but the memories are fairly fresh in my addled brain.

Is anyone aware of high quality optics emporiums in the North East of England?

Much as I thought the Zeiss Conquest 8x32 were particularly good for the money, I wasn't so impressed with the 10's I tried - no idea about 8x42

Ditto. I tried the Conquest 8x42 and 10x42's and surprised myself by liking the 8x32's best - they seemed to hit a sweet spot of ergonomics (weight and handling) and optical quality. In the 18 months or so since I bought them I've not once stopped to wish that I had a larger objective... I certainly don't miss having a larger weight around my neck.

FWIW, I also tried some Swarovski NL Pure's and didn't like the feel of them. Strikes me that bins are a very personal choice - having to be more acceptable in a tactile sense than scopes.

I'll suggest checking out the Monarch HG . It is definitely worth considering . For me it seems to cover all the bases well . If you are already considering the Conquest you should at least throw the Monarch HG into the mix , it may just check all the boxes for you at slightly less $$ than the Zeiss . I may be a tad biased as I own a 8x42 Monarch HG .

I have NL pure and zeis conquest and find that I use them both about equally. There is a slight quality difference but it’s not huge and they don’t mist up the same way. I tend to choose which one based on weight of my other kit as there’s not much in it between them

I have NL pure and zeis conquest and find that I use them both about equally. There is a slight quality difference but it’s not huge and they don’t mist up the same way. I tend to choose which one based on weight of my other kit as there’s not much in it between them
Which Conquests do you have?

I have the SLC 8x42 and the NL 10x32 and the weight difference is only 130 grams. The size is about the same as well. For me the weather, the moment of the day and the season is more determing which binoculars I take with me. The weight difference is too little.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back