• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help setting up for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

paul_j_c2000

Hi everyone i have just found this site it looks very interesting , i have a opticron hr80 with 24x-72x zoom eye piece also a fuji s602 , is there any one out there that has experimented with such a setup i am reluctant to spend money on eyepieces and adapters to connect the to together if the end result is disappointing i tryed holding the camera in front of lens set on min zoom and couldnt get anything viewable from the camera,if my camera isnt suitable could you tell me which of the nikon models that are suitable take AA batterys
any help will be greatly apprieciated thanks paul

Hi Paul

Try this website www.eagleeyeuk.com they have their own digiscoping eyepiece,which is better suited to cameras such as your Fuji which have a bigger lens diameter.As for Nikon`s that can take AA batteries I am pretty sure you can make up an external power pack (6volts) to power the CP995,4500. I believe the coolpix 990 takes AA batteries only available 2nd hand now i`m afraid.Hope this helps.

Regards Stevo.

Hi Paul,
A big welcome to you from all the moderators and admin here at BirdForum. We hope you enjoy your time here.

The Fuji 602 isn't the ideal camera for digiscoping, but you may have better success with a dedicated digiscoping eyepiece, rather than your current one. These eyepieces are quite low powered, often about 12x, but they do allow a number of digiscoping-uinfriendly cameras to be used with success.

To get a viewable image in your camera, you often have to zoom in on the camera towards maximum..... but this doesn't apply to all cameras, some work the other way around and perform better at wide-angle.

One of the favourite digiscoping cameras is the old Nikon cp990, this takes AA's (one reason why it's popular amongst digiscopers).
Andy

Hey Paul, i tried my 602 with my pentax scope and 18x eyepiece with no luck. the only mode were i got any sort of usable pic was in super macro mode where you can't zoom the camera, vignetting actually gets worse when you zoom in. I bought a cp990 off ebay.

Hi Paul
Now I may be wrong on this but, doesn't the Fuji s602 have interchangeable lenses and is based on nikon fit?

If this is the case then you will have great difficulty using it for digiscoping, but Optichron do sell a camera adaptor to fit slr type camera's and this may work have a word with Optichron.

If I have got it wrong re camera my apologies and I hope you get it sorted.

golfnut said:
Hi Paul
Now I may be wrong on this but, doesn't the Fuji s602 have interchangeable lenses and is based on nikon fit?

If this is the case then you will have great difficulty using it for digiscoping, but Optichron do sell a camera adaptor to fit slr type camera's and this may work have a word with Optichron.

If I have got it wrong re camera my apologies and I hope you get it sorted.

The fuji s602 does not have interchangeable lenses, it has a 6x zoom lens. You may be thinking of the fuji s1 or s2 which are digital slr's.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back