• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help to i.d. bird please (1 Viewer)

This is a fun thread. I agree with those who are suggested this bird is a gull/Skua of some kind. How many times do we see gulls carrying big fish in their, relatively small beaks? Very often here (FL, USA). I often see a gull laboring to gain altitude carrying a big fish away from other birds to a private spot on or near the ground to eat it. Gulls might easily fly within 4 ft of a person while so distracted.
A gull looks more like a falcon than a Cormorant.
Most of the time, Herons and cormorants eat their fish before taking flight. Gulls often fly with food in bill.
Color is notoriously unreliable as a field mark. Shape and behaviour are more reliable.
Marc

jedku said:
This is a fun thread. I agree with those who are suggested this bird is a gull/Skua of some kind. How many times do we see gulls carrying big fish in their, relatively small beaks? Very often here (FL, USA). I often see a gull laboring to gain altitude carrying a big fish away from other birds to a private spot on or near the ground to eat it. Gulls might easily fly within 4 ft of a person while so distracted.
A gull looks more like a falcon than a Cormorant.
Most of the time, Herons and cormorants eat their fish before taking flight. Gulls often fly with food in bill.
Color is notoriously unreliable as a field mark. Shape and behaviour are more reliable.
Marc

I know this thread is fairly cold now but I have just come across it and it intrigues me. The best answer I can come up with that hasn't been mentioned is a crow of some sort.

Reasons:
1) It is jet black
2) It is about the right size
3) The behaviour would fit
4) They do scavenge the shore in winter (ok spring now!)

Problems:
1) No white head! But I thought of 2 possibilities. Maybe it is an escape, even from a ship (crows are often kept as cage birds/pets), of a species that has a white head (there is a pied crow in Africa but that doesn't have the white on the head). Is there an Indian Crow that would fit the description? The other possibility would be a normal British crow with some albinism on the head.

What do other people think?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back