• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Habicht 8x30 (4 Viewers)

I don't really like sidetracking the factual discussion but it is good time for a question. Why must Porros have stiff focusing? It seems to be due to heavy grease used on the gears. Why can't they be like roofs, with precise tolerance and minimal or no lubrication?

Ron

One of the reasons is probably because Porros have to move heavier long tubes along with the oculars to gain focus whereas in Roof prisms usually only a focusing lens is moved. Although the old Swaro 8x30 SLC moved its objective lenses to gain focus.

Bob

One of the reasons is probably because Porros have to move heavier long tubes along with the oculars to gain focus whereas in Roof prisms usually only a focusing lens is moved. Although the old Swaro 8x30 SLC moved its objective lenses to gain focus.

Bob

So did the Zeiss ClassiC 8x30 and 10x40.

It should be noted that roof glasses which use internal focussing of a small lens have a bit more chromatic aberration.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Not quite. The Zeiss Classic binoculars (8x30, 10x40) also had moving objective lenses.

Actually, I think there are several reasons why porros with external focusing, i.e. moving eyepieces, have a stiffer focuser than binoculars with internal focusing. Perhaps the most obvious one is that most users press the eyepieces against the eyes, this means that bincoluars with eyepieces focusing must be built in a way to prevent the eyepieces from moving out of focus. Another reason is that manufacturers never saw the need to change the focusers of their porros - after all, they all work perfectly well over the limited range a porro can be focused.

And with the Habicht it's pretty clear that their focusing is so stiff because of the seals that prevent moisture from entering the binocular.

Hermann

Hello all

I don't normally wear my glasses with binoculars but tried with my Habicht 8x30W while watching a bird feeder. I found the view just fine. One thing I have noticed is the focus wheel can get quite stiff in very cold weather. Today wasn't so bad at just below freezing.

OK, today it was hovering around 0 degrees (F), with the wind chill about -15 in the AM and the focus wheel on my car 8x30 Habichts was no stiffer than last report. This level of focus stiffness would not have been a deal breaker for me.

Proudpapa .... I would like to join you in your testing but the low this morning for me in the north Phoenix area was only 63 degrees F (17C). But hey, what could I expect considering the high yesterday was 81 F (27 F)

I know, that was cruel, so maybe I will make it up to you this July and do a hot weather test.

Thanks for braving the cold and posting the test!

Stay warm, burrrr.

I have fallen in love with the idea of having a new pair of Habicht 8x30's but am concerned that I would not be able to use them with my glasses. I have recently bought a pair of Nikon 8x30 E, the first E not the new ones which are better for glasses. I do not have any trouble using them with my glasses and seem to be getting the full field of view. I love this format and size and would much prefer to have the waterproof swaro versions.

Does anyone here use these with glasses? If I were to use them with glasses would I just loose part of the fov or would I just get blackouts. I would love to buy these new to get the lifetime warranty but don't want to spend the money to find out that they don't work for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Aaaaaah the Habicht 8x30. GREAT optics but a PIA to use them. Don't let anybody tell you different the focus is STIFF in all climates. I had a vise-grip attached to mine just to turn it. The eyecups are small, hard and UNCOMFORTABLE and the ER is short. Do your self a favor and get the Nikon 8x32 SE or 8x30 EII if you like porro's. WAY easier to use and WAY more comfortable. These people that are saying the focus isn't too stiff must have fingers like a Neanderthal. I sampled about three different pairs too because I kept thinking I had a bad sample. I didn't give up on them easily because the optics are GREAT. Remember too I am a Swaro Fan Boy so it is hard for me to criticize a Swaro. OPTICALLY the Habicht 8x30 is one of the best binoculars I have ever seen. INCREDIBLE TRANSPARENCY! If the focus was just a little easier.

Last edited:
Hi,

I said a few times here, since 1981 I have had 2 Habicht 8x30 and 5 (yes, five) Habicht 10x40. Representing almost all eras of that fine binocular model.
Presently I have only one, the 10x40 WGA, one of the newer ones.
In MY experience useing all of them between -15 ºC and 40 ºC, the focusing wheel does stiffens a little at that cold temperatures BUT is far from be unusable!!!!
I agree its ER is a little short to use with eye glasses but, also, far from be unusable!!!
For me, the Swarovski Habicht (of any age) is one of the great "modern" binoculars, being the newer ones on par of any other binocular in optics and better than most in mechanics.

Best regards!

PHA

Hi,

I said a few times here, since 1981 I have had 2 Habicht 8x30 and 5 (yes, five) Habicht 10x40. Representing almost all eras of that fine binocular model.
Presently I have only one, the 10x40 WGA, one of the newer ones.
In MY experience useing all of them between -15 ºC and 40 ºC, the focusing wheel does stiffens a little at that cold temperatures BUT is far from be unusable!!!!
I agree its ER is a little short to use with eye glasses but, also, far from be unusable!!!
For me, the Swarovski Habicht (of any age) is one of the great "modern" binoculars, being the newer ones on par of any other binocular in optics and better than most in mechanics.

Best regards!

PHA
Try it at -20 C. If the focus on the Habicht was usable I would still have mine. I love the optics on them. I tried three of them! 2 8x30 and 1 7x42. All terribly hard focusers. I am not going to FIGHT a stiff focuser while I bird. Why should I? The SV 8x32 has a wonderful smooth easy focus and just as good if not better optics. Why put up with it? The Habicht is a VERY user unfriendly binocular.

Try it at -20 C. If the focus on the Habicht was usable I would still have mine. I love the optics on them. I tried three of them! 2 8x30 and 1 7x42. All terribly hard focusers. I am not going to FIGHT a stiff focuser while I bird. Why should I? The SV 8x32 has a wonderful smooth easy focus and just as good if not better optics. Why put up with it? The Habicht is a VERY user unfriendly binocular.

Dennis,

Where do you bird at minus 20 Celsius?

Jan

Dennis,

Where do you bird at minus 20 Celsius?

Jan

That temp isn't super unusual in Denver, CO, USA (Dennis' given "location"), and is certainly common in the mountains there.

I give Lawrence, KS, USA as home but I'm really in Minnesota most of the time these days. Right now, a bit past noon, it is minus 17 Celsius here in southern MN but a warmer minus 7 Celsius back home in KS.

I wrote this reply because I share Dennis' frustration with binocular makers that don't take cold weather focus performance seriously. On that note, the Nikon SE and EII, though perhaps smoother than the Habicht when warm, are awful in the cold.

--AP

Last edited:
That temp isn't super unusual in Denver, CO, USA (Dennis' given "location"), and is certainly common in the mountains there.

I give Lawrence, KS, USA as home but I'm really in Minnesota most of the time these days. Right now, a bit past noon, it is minus 17 Celsius here in southern MN but a warmer minus 7 Celsius back home in KS.

I wrote this reply because I share Dennis' frustration with binocular makers that don't take cold weather focus performance seriously. On that note, the Nikon SE and EII, though perhaps smoother than the Habicht when warm, are awful in the cold.

--AP
Agree on the Nikon's. Terrible focusers in the cold. Also, agree on Minnesota. It has been very cold in Denver the last month. You know there is a lot of cool birds to see in the winter. I want a binocular that you can focus and won't fog up too bad.

--AP
Last winter I was in the north of Norway experiencing minus 24 while topping up my car for petrol in a windy gas station. I needed full size ski goggles to prevent my eyes to get frozen. Is there anybody who goes outside for (birding) fun under these conditions?

Jan

Last winter I was in the north of Norway experiencing minus 24 while topping up my car for petrol in a windy gas station. I needed full size ski goggles to prevent my eyes to get frozen. Is there anybody who goes outside for (birding) fun under these conditions?...

Ha! It's really not so bad once you get used to it. A few winters ago, I was birding in northern MN with a friend and his friends from out of state. They planned their trip a month or more in advance and weren't staying long, so we had to stick to our original birding schedule despite minus 40 Celsius weather. It wasn't so bad, and we had a _lot_ of fun watching the specialty species that they came to see (e.g. Surnia, Strix nebulosa, Poecile hudsonicus, Coccothraustes vespertinus, Pinicola enucleator, Carduelis hornemanni, Plectrophenax nivalis).

You'd probably be amazed at the number of bicyclists who use their bike year round for commuting or recreation around the twin cities (Minneapolis and St.Paul, MN, USA). On the bike at minus 25 Celsius is when it's nice to have ski goggles to keep the eyes from freezing. Otherwise, a good hat, balaclava, and down parka with a hood will suffice. :)

--AP

Ha! It's really not so bad once you get used to it. A few winters ago, I was birding in northern MN with a friend and his friends from out of state. They planned their trip a month or more in advance and weren't staying long, so we had to stick to our original birding schedule despite minus 40 Celsius weather. It wasn't so bad, and we had a _lot_ of fun watching the specialty species that they came to see (e.g. Surnia, Strix nebulosa, Poecile hudsonicus, Coccothraustes vespertinus, Pinicola enucleator, Carduelis hornemanni, Plectrophenax nivalis).

You'd probably be amazed at the number of bicyclists who use their bike year round for commuting or recreation around the twin cities (Minneapolis and St.Paul, MN, USA). On the bike at minus 25 Celsius is when it's nice to have ski goggles to keep the eyes from freezing. Otherwise, a good hat, balaclava, and down parka with a hood will suffice. :)

--AP

Alexis,

I can imagine under sunny and under low windchill factor conditions it's possible to be able to watch/enjoy birds/nature with a binocular/scope at minus 40 degrees Celsius. Taken in consideration the measures one has to take to prevent becoming a victom from frostbite, complaints about a "stiff" focusser (even at minus 20) with a Porro binocular made me react.
But now I know it happened on a backyard I can see the picture;)

Jan

...I can imagine under sunny and under low windchill factor conditions it's possible to be able to watch/enjoy birds/nature with a binocular/scope at minus 40 degrees Celsius...

Yes, we were lucky to have only a gentle breeze when it was coldest. We had lots of fun making frozen soap bubbles and such. Later in the day we birded in very strong winds off Lake Superior (taking shelter when we could behind trees and our vehicle), but the lake contributed some warmth so it was only minus 20 Celsius there! Really, with a good base layer and good circulatory health, the risk of frost bite is not as much as you seem to think. The base layer nullifies most considerations of "wind chill" when it comes to skin. Runners/joggers around here routinely go out in their insulated spandex in subzero F (below minus 18 C) weather.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back