• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herero Chat (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Looking through trip reports it seems that Spitzkoppe is now a very tricky place to see Herero Chat. Anyone know of a more reliable site?

I think they have always been a tad tricky at Spitzkoppe, but it is the best locality. You really should be there at dawn and work carefully the acacias and scrub on the flat lands immediately adjacent to the rockfaces, both left and right of the parking area. If you give it time, I think you will get them. The best areas in my experience are where small necks of acacia cut into the massive - don't scramble around on the rocks, but work the acacia edges.

Maye other person will advise of other localities, all my sightings have been at Spitzkoppe sorry.

Steve, We also saw them at Spitzkoppe. We hiked around Small Bushman's Paradise and found about six pairs on the rocks and in the trees there. Not sure where else you could find them. Sorry.

Spitzkoppe is definitely the place I've had the most luck as well. I had no problem finding them there last year, but haven't been back since. I have found them heading down Spreetshoogte pass towards Walvis Bay though as well. I'm sure there would be other areas if you keep your eye and ears open in the right habitat.

Cheers,
Benji

Thanks for the replies. I'll give Spitzkoppe a try - it sounds like a scenic spot for the family. We'll camp for a night so that I can try dawn and dusk. I can't find precise directions but it seems the road between Spreetshoogte Pass and Walvis Bay, as mentioned by Benji, is an area for them as well as the Uis area.

I can't find precise directions but it seems the road between Spreetshoogte Pass and Walvis Bay, as mentioned by Benji, is an area for them as well as the Uis area.

You stand a million more chances of finding them at Spitskoppe ...and your family will less likely divorse you - hours on the arid plains ain't a shave on the scenic Spitskoppe ;)

Callan Cohen told me in an email that there is a local guide at Spitzkoppe studying their nesting, so it might be worth asking at the gate / reception when you arrive there if he/she can meet up with you.
I'd really recommend Spitzkoppe. It is a beautiful place - would be magical to camp there, especially if you have a clear night.
There are also plenty of other dry country species to keep you distracted (e.g. White-tailed Shrike).

In case it is of use to others I failed at Spitzkoppe but I did see a pair at Uis at about the same spot as Phil Benstead had seen them several years earlier. Further directions available if anyone wants them.

Attachments

• herero chatwewb.jpg
    herero chatwewb.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 176
Further directions

Hi Steve!

We will visit Namibia in 4 weeks time and I`d be glad if you could give me further directions to find the Herero Chat at Uis. We will also visit the north-western part (Epupa Falls). Have you been there also?

Kind regards

Angi

You take the north junction out of Uis to get back on the road. Then, after a km or so, turn right. Then it's a couple of km until you come to a dry river valley. I had them up the valley, on the right hand side. I would have been about 500m up the valley. Sorry this not very precise but I'm pretty sure it's the only dry river valley that close to town and we found it easily from vaguer directions

Thank you Steve!

I will let you know if we found them when we are back (in the middle of November).

Kind regards

Angi

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back