• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Herring gull in Denmark (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear members and bird watchers

I spotted these two Herring Gulls in Copenhagen yesterday

I have learned a lot from Birdforum and the link http://www.gull-research.org/hg/0start.html recommended by Birdforum.

So I have identified the attached gulls as:
Bird on the left hand side: Adult, getting in to winter plumage, getting grey around the head. First I thought last year as juvenile due to the grey head.

But the wings are evenly grey with out the "BABY FEATHERS" in the grey wings

Bird on the right hand side: Baby born this last summer because of the full BLACK bill

Anyone knowing if this is correct?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 5555555555555.jpg
    5555555555555.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 71
not quite. the right hand bird is a 2cy (hatched in 2018). forget about bill colour but note that coverts, especially greater coverts, have a more filigrane pattern and primaries are regrown only up to p8 (still p9 and 10 to grow in the wingtip).

I have to say - that is a nice picture of 2 very smart birds:eek!:

Keep with Gulls - the ageing process will pay off and stand you in good stead.
Around here where i live in the West Midlands there is not much else to look at in the Winter so it’s Gulls, Gulls and then some.

I would have expected a 2cy Herring, even at that angle to be showing a change of colour on the mantle and given that that bird is probably with one of its parents (?) this would indicate a juvenile 1cy bird - just saying;)

Aladdin - now you are getting to grips with plumage ID pay attention to nomenclature - the word ‘baby’ is not acceptable and you will get funny looks if uttered in the company of other respectable birders. Young or juvenile is acceptable but not baby:t:

Good birding -

Laurie -

I would have expected a 2cy Herring, even at that angle to be showing a change of colour on the mantle and given that that bird is probably with one of its parents (?) this would indicate a juvenile 1cy bird - just saying;)

Young or juvenile is acceptable but not baby:t:

Good birding -

Laurie -

As Lou has already said above, this is a 2cy bird, so if photographed yesterday it would be approximately 15-16 months old.

Hence, it is most definitely not a juvenile (at least in the northern hemisphere, juvenile = 1cy but not all 1cy birds are still juvenile); to assume it is 'with one of its parents' because another bird is next to it is no proof of age.

Last edited:
As Lou has already said above, this is a 2cy bird, so if photographed yesterday it would be approximately 15-16 months old.

Hence, it is most definitely not a juvenile (at least in the northern hemisphere, juvenile = 1cy but not all 1cy birds are still juvenile); to assume it is 'with one of its parents' because another bird is next to it is no proof of age.

Thank you!

So it is an adult and a 2nd summer bird. So I will go for this

Kind regards
Aladdin

not quite. the right hand bird is a 2cy (hatched in 2018). forget about bill colour but note that coverts, especially greater coverts, have a more filigrane pattern and primaries are regrown only up to p8 (still p9 and 10 to grow in the wingtip).

Thank you lou salomon!

I will go for the 2 summer and and adult. As said below, 15 to 16 months old

Aladdin

Adult and 1st summer (I know-confusing!) B :)

Thank you

OK, so it is one adult and one bird born during the spring 2018. Maybe different in different part of the world?

Some countries have spring and some no spring, well, OK, you are right very confusing. http://www.gull-research.org/hg/0start.html and they call it calendar year. So it is an adult and one on the 2nd calendar year.

Aladdin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back