• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Highs and Lows of 2010 (1 Viewer)

greater

My high of 2010 was finding a male Hen Harrier at Harrington Airfield Northants last winter.

My lows was not having time to see easy birds like the a recent Dartford Warbler.

What were yours?

one of my highs would be a male osprey returning for the second year to build an eyrie visible from my attic window!

Low would be a complete lack of wrens from the straths and uplands after the hard winter weather!

one of my highs would be a male osprey returning for the second year to build an eyrie visible from my attic window!

Low would be a complete lack of wrens from the straths and uplands after the hard winter weather!

Thats amazing, I thought I was lucky being able to view a pair of peregrines from my bedroom, that roosted on the Express Lift Tower in Northampton.

My high was seeing common crane in an alfalfa field in a farm project right in the middle of the Sahara

My low (see my post on what santa needs to give me in 2011!) was failing to see a Dupont's lark in the area between Derna and Tobruk on two visits -where it is supposed to be

my blog - updated every day!

High - the lesser yellowleg in my local patch which stayed for like, 3 weeks.
Low - 'Dipping out' on avocets twice. And it's not even a rare bird!

highs: seeing cheetah, caracal and Spanish lynx

lows: my daughter getting a bite from a mongoose and having to keep finding somewhere in Namibia to get a rabies injection

My highs: Volunteering at Vane Farm in Scotland and seeing an Osprey hunting on Loch Leven. Plus seeing an Otter (i know it isn't technically birding) from the hide late in the evening (especially as wasn't expecting it).

Lows: nothing really, birding is one of life's pleasures. Although if i was forced to pick it would be witnessing the argument in That Thread following the BBC4 Twitching documentary. Would have put all birders in a bad light to a general reader.

Highs: Refinding a drake American Wigeon in my local area, beating my yearlist record with 216 species, seeing Pied Billed Grebe, Grey Phalarope and amazing views of Great Northern Diver on the same day.

Lows: Not seeing a Woodcock :C

Highs: Re-finding a Short-toed Lark at my local patch, seeing Red-flanked Bluetail, Blyth's Reed Warbler, Rough-legged Buzzard, Barred Warbler and King Eider in one day on Fair Isle (16/10), seeing a majority of the norfolk specialities on one day (4/6), seeing 5 Black-winged Stilts at Titchwell (5/6).

Lows: Dipping a Bluethroat very narrowly twice at Welney WWT (Norfolk) in June, missing out on Black-throated Diver for the year.

Highs- starting to train to ring, seeing Trumpeter Finch, seeing nearly 250 bird species this year. Also, sorry Joseph, but seeing the Bluethroat at welney- we were just about to leave and as we began walking off it popped up, gave brief but brilliant views and then flying of, I was feeling so disapointed and then there it was!!
But there are so many others- Seawatching in Cornwall, Isles of Scilly, Cranes in Norfolk...

My high has got to be the Welney Bluethroat. Volunteering at the reserve I got ample opportunities to search for the bird after work, so after the initial crowds had gone, the bird performed brilliantly, and I was able to get the shot below. More shots of it on my website...

One of the lowest lows has to be some of the time I spent in Scotland in the summer. Spent 8 hours sitting in a car/standing in the rain, waiting for a White-Tailed Eagle to visit its supposed nesting wood - not even a sniff of it...what a waste of a day!

Attachments

• 280520101984.jpg
    280520101984.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 63
Highs were probably finding and photographing a Black-banded Owl in the Pantanal and the Atlantic Rainforest race of Long-tailed Potoo (surely to be split from Amazonian populations).

Lows... not sure, maybe missing the photo of a Swainson's Thrush here in the Atlantic Rainforest

banded owl

Highs were probably finding and photographing a Black-banded Owl in the Pantanal and the Atlantic Rainforest race of Long-tailed Potoo (surely to be split from Amazonian populations).

Lows... not sure, maybe missing the photo of a Swainson's Thrush here in the Atlantic Rainforest

It would be nice to see your picture of the owl.

High.- Finding a decent flock of waxwings in Co. Monaghan.

Low.- I can't imagine how I failed to see a dipper this year but I did. I'll make up for it in 2011.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back