• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hiring a lens or an extender (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Looking at hiring the Sigma 150-600 Canon EF fit from lensesforhire, but my dad has suggested hiring an extender. The downside is that this would make my minimum aperture f11 since it would double the least aperture possible with the lens I already have (f5.6-6.3). Should I get the lens itself or the extender. The extender is less costly, but the lens might be better for pictures. Opinions welcome.

Many thanks,
Ev

I'd go for the lens unless the price difference is very significant - you can get satisfactory results with extenders but you'll probably need a higher ISO and there's always a small drop in optical quality. If you're just after id shots it probably matters less than if you are after nice photos...

Lens will most likely be heavier and more of a hassle to carry around.

Obviously is image quality is all you care about then it’s a straightforward comparison but usually there are other things to consider

Ps - I just looked at that website- for the lens / extender for my camera.

Extender much cheaper to hire £32 for a week vs £85 for a week.

I think I would start with the extender - test it out and see if it’s good enough for my needs.

Thanks all. I already hired out the lens and I return it on Monday. I got 4 extra days from it which is nice but some of the pictures I’ve managed are quite good for my standard.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back