• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hobby Thread 2013 (3 Viewers)

Again I spoke too soon! Sitting in the garden the sudden panic of hirundines quite unlike that of a Sparrowhawk alarm saw me watching a Hobby up high, but very briefly.

Last night had what I presume to be a migrant hobby,came in from the east fairly low & then flew strongly north.This is in a suburban area too(southampton)

Steve.

I have been informed our Hobby pair did not nest successfully this year. They were either disturbed and had the eggs taken or a young inexperienced pair who left the eggs because they did not develop subsequently to be predated. Sad especially since a pair has nested successfully since 2007 but this year was not to be.

This morning while still bog eyed the alarms of House Martins alerted my half-asleep self to a Hobby hurtling down and across the valley after the hirundines.
Too quick and distant to figure out age, it disappeared over the hill opposite.
A nice late encounter for the year - a great start to the day.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back