• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2013 List Going? (2 Viewers)

Just got back from Massachusetts this morning. Before I left, I had about an hour before dark to do another sea watch on Friday afternoon. I was hoping for more alcids, as most would be lifers for me. It was rather slow and I only picked up one new bird for the year.

339. Black Scoter

Dave

A few more 2013 Missouri Birds (November 9th)
Smithville Lake, Smithville, Missouri

219. Surf Scoter, a nice adult male in breeding plumage.
220. Bufflehead
221. Common Loon
222. Horned Grebe

Last night a storm that brought the season's first snow to the area caused a huge fallout of waterfowl to nearby lakes. I saw a total of 105 Common Loons (including 88 in one raft), 102 Tundra Swans (including 97 in one raft), 84 Buffleheads, and large numbers of other ducks. Among the birds brought in by the storm was my first Bonaparte's Gull of the year for West Virginia (number 195).

Dave

Two more species for my 2013 Missouri List.

223. Black Scoter, Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, Missouri. (November 9th)

224. Rusty Blackbird, Lake Contrary area, Saint Joseph, Missouri. (November 11th)

180 Bewick's Swan (772) on a beautiful afternoon at the Nene Washes, followed by a 4-0 return to winning ways for the U's last night.

alan

I've managed to persuade my wife we should spend three days over Thanksgiving down in the Rio Grande Valley. I'm hoping for some different birds there, including Green and Ringed Kingfishers. An Amazon Kingfisher is there at present (2nd ever in the USA) but probably won't stay till I get there.

Jeff

It seems that waterbird-wise this is about it, I either saw something or it already migrated and won't be seen until 2014, so now I will look out for winter visitor passerines. I missed some really easy ones at the beginning of year due to prolonged flu (I just had to go out and see the scoters, well it was back to bed for two more weeks).

We went after the Orphean Warbler Sp in Pembrokeshire today and managed quite a few sightings of the bird. Obviously the the topic is whether it's an Eastern or Western species.

Everyone I spoke to all agreed on Western but the clincher for me was one photograph taken by someone I know, which was also a clincher for those that saw the photo, as he had managed a good shot of the whole of the undertail as well as the buffy wash of the underbody and the pale eye so I am quite happy with seeing a Western Orphean Warbler. A British first for me.

330. Western Orphean Warbler

John

No new year birds for Missouri today and only had 31 species of birds up at Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge, Mound City, Missouri, but included in those 31 species of birds were 17 species of waterfowl. It was mostly cloudy and very windy so not too many little birds were in evidence. Here was my list of the waterfowl.
Greater White-fronted Goose
Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Trumpeter Swan - 189 !!
Tundra Swan - 1
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Ruddy Duck

My latest year bird was Black Scoter, several of which I saw off the coast of Massachusetts on November 8. Today I chased a female Black Scoter that was found on a nearby lake. I saw my target, which was a year bird for West Virginia (number 196), as well as a state lifer (number 214).

Dave

A cold front last night brought in good numbers of waterfowl. Among the many swans, geese, and ducks on a local lake this morning was a Long-tailed Duck. Although I had seen Long-tailed Ducks in Massachusetts a couple of weeks ago, it was new for my West Virginia year list (number 197).

Dave

my list is now up to 125 yesterday with two lifers

124 Green Sandpiper

125 Red-Crested Pochard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back