• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Is Your 2016 List Going? (4 Viewers)

Bit late to this thread as its December already, and my efforts aren't exactly something to boast about, but...
10th December: Hen harrier, UK no. 158, world no. 182.

Long-tailed Duck, Bittern and Velvet Scoter so far in December has taken me up to 233 for the year, which I'm quite pleased with (12 more than last year so far). The UK list is still a bit feeble (154), but record breaking lists for Spain (123 in 4 weeks of holiday there), Switzerland (65 in 5 visits for work) and Finland (61 in two visits with work). And 16 lifers! B :)

And on looking at my lifetime lists, I have realised I need one more species to reach 300 species in Europe :)

One new bird this morning brings me up to 234 for the year.

234. Rough-legged Hawk

I usually find this species somewhere in the state in winter, but this was the first I've seen in my home county of Preston County (number 225).

Dave

I'm in Portugal for a week. Birding isn't my main priority, but I have picked up a few easy year ticks around Lisbon today.

353. Yellow-legged Gull
354. Black Redstart
355. Spotless Starling
356. Ring-necked Parakeet

The last is an embarrassing omission on my life list concidering the time spent in countries where it is both native or introduced

330. Rock Wren

I have one more Christmas Bird Count this weekend before closing the chapter on US birds of 2016. The final 8-10 days are in South America for me!

Going through my still unsorted Sweden photos from Sept gives me:

307 European Honey Buzzard
308 Great Snipe

Thankfully there are cold and wet days in December, ;)

Another I forgot to write down at the time of seeing. It gets distacting with so many species flying past, that I invariably forget to note a few. Thankfully my camera reminds me what I saw.

Last edited:
This afternoon I spotted three cranes in a field near where I live. Cranes are fairly rare in West Virginia and extremely rare in my county. Not only were they new for the year, they were also state lifers (number 265) and Preston County lifers (number 226).

235. Sandhill Crane

Dave

10 hr layover in Lima, Peru:
332. West Peruvian Dove (lifer)
333. Belcher's Gull (lifer)
334. Eared Dove (lifer)
335. Blue-and-white Swallow (lifer)
336. Blue-gray Tanager (lifer)
337. Bananaquit
338. Rufous-collared Sparrow (lifer)
339. Shiny Cowbird (lifer)
340. Tropical Kingbird
341. Amazilia Hummingbird (lifer)
342. Harris's Hawk
343. Croaking Ground Dove (lifer)
344. Kelp Gull (lifer)
345. Long-tailed Mockingbird (lifer)
346. Blackish Oystercatcher (lifer)
347. Franklin's Gull (incredible flock of over 6000!)
348. Peruvian Booby (lifer)
349. Gray-hooded Gull (lifer - #700 worldwide)
350. Peruvian Pelican (lifer)

Last edited:
Happy holidays to all.

The year is drawing to a close and with the winter months it is becoming harder to add to the list.. We're in Park City, UT for a week of skiing and to celebrate the holidays. I was happy to add two more birds to the year list - one of which is a lifer.

25-30 December

Park City Ski Resort, Park City, UT, USA

228. Hairy Woodpecker
229. Black-billed Magpie
230. Black-capped Chickadee

World life list: 569 (Black-billed Magpie, Park City Ski Resort, Park City, UT, USA; December 2016)
2016 year list: 230 (Black-capped Chickadee, Park City Ski Resort, Park City, UT, USA; December 2016)

Last edited:
274 eastern spot-billed duck
275 grey heron
276 little egret
277 eastern buzzard
278 oriental turtledove
278 eurasian magpie
279 coal tit
280 brown-eared bulbul
281 daurianvredstart
282 dusky thrush
282 white wagtail
283 japanese wagtail
284 yellow-throated bunting
Nice black crest!
285 eurasian tree sparrow

I'm in S Korea

Congrats on the "lifer"

Happy holidays to all.

The year is drawing to a close and with the winter months it is becoming harder to add to the list.. We're in Park City, UT for a week of skiing and to celebrate the holidays. I was happy to add two more birds to the year list - one of which is a lifer.

25 December

Park City Ski Resort, Park City, UT, USA
228. Black-billed Magpie
229. Black-capped Chickadee

World life list: 569 (Black-billed Magpie, Park City Ski Resort, Park City, UT, USA; December 2016)
2016 year list: 229 (Black-capped Chickadee, Park City Ski Resort, Park City, UT, USA; December 2016)

Congrats on the "lifer"!
Be careful on the slopes!
Happy New Year!

282 was not even a thrush, it is now olive-backed pipit

Must be frustrating for local birders to see tourists get birds wrong on eBird and not be able to contact them!

211 for the year thanks to my best-ever view of a Yellow-browed Warbler (the rather cooperative one at Topsham). That makes the first time I've hit 210 in a year, even allowing for the fact I'm probably going to lose Hooded Crow at some point in the future when BOU change their taxonomy.

207 in the UK for the year. Both lists would gain another 2 if I allowed myself birds that are self-sustaining but aren't on the British List (Monk Parakeet at Mudchute Park and Muscovy Duck at Ely). Anyway, I'm happy with that, and still a chance of adding something today, if the fog ever lifts.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back