• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Many Genera Have You Seen? (1 Viewer)

Interesting thread and fortunately Wildlife Recorder has a feature that creates report for you on genera, which enables me to see I have seen 1,783 (IOC).

Phylloscopus with 57 out of 80 is the most I have seen.
Tringa with 13 is the largest complete genus, although there are 5 others with only one missing that are larger (Calidris, Larus, Vanellus, Circus and Acanthiza)
The largest genera that I haven't see any of are Geospiza (Galapagos Finches) and Sheppardia (Akalats) both with 9 species.

Interesting thread and fortunately Wildlife Recorder has a feature that creates report for you on genera, which enables me to see I have seen 1,783 (IOC).

Phylloscopus with 57 out of 80 is the most I have seen.
Tringa with 13 is the largest complete genus, although there are 5 others with only one missing that are larger (Calidris, Larus, Vanellus, Circus and Acanthiza)
The largest genera that I haven't see any of are Geospiza (Galapagos Finches) and Sheppardia (Akalats) both with 9 species.
Bet the one Calidris you miss is pygmaea, which was my last one, in 2003, making it my biggest completed (wiped) genus. Since then, C. pygmaea has become a lot more difficult.
But you beat me with the Phylloscopus - I have only 43.

Daan Sandee

Interesting. I've got all the calidris and tringa and also need one larus (Olrog's), but I'm nowhere close on the other genera you mention.

My goal was to see all the gulls (I need 4 more), and if it wasn't for covid, I'd be wrapping that up this year. Now it looks like it won't be until 2023.

Good timing with this query as I just swapped my IOC Excel life list from 6.2 to the current 11.1, mainly beacuse there were so many genera changes.
I ended up with 1459, up from 1425 in 6.2. Passerines were 811 and non-passerines 648. Heaven knows when i will be able to add to it from field observations, our vaccine roll-out is a shambles, 80% behind schedule....

Just checked my Phylloscs and have 48; Wiped genera include Calidris, Vanellus, Tringa, Acanthiza and Circus, also Coracias, but Larus needs a couple of W N. American species plus a trip to Djibouti for White-eyed Gull.

Just checked my Phylloscs and have 48; Wiped genera include Calidris, Vanellus, Tringa, Acanthiza and Circus, also Coracias, but Larus needs a couple of W N. American species plus a trip to Djibouti for White-eyed Gull.
White-eyed is one of my missing four. I've postponed a trip to Israel twice - now scheduled for a year from now.

Sorry mate, you can't 'wipe' vanellus, not whilst this appears in any firld guide and it's not actually declared extinct yet ;)

White-eyed Gull is easy at Eilat in Israel.

Last edited:
I've completed very few (non-monotypic) genera, and those that I have completed are very species poor. Gavia (5) is my most speciose I think.

Other polytypic genera completed:

Pluvialis (4)
Chloroceryle (4)
Parus (4)
Phalaropus (3)
Xenops (3)
Ramphotrigon (3)
Tityra (3)
Abroscopus (3)
Acanthis (3)
Aix (2)
Piaya (2)
Spilopelia (2)
Pyrrhocorax (2)
Stelgidopteryx (2)
Sturnus (2)
Dives (2)

I'm still missing 8 Calidris, 4 Tringa, 10 Larus.

I've had a surprisingly good stabs at Thalasseus (just missing Chinese Crested), Prinia (43%) and Certhia (7 of 9- missing Bar-tailed and Sichuan).

Whilst White-eyed Gull might be Laridae isn't it Ichthyaetus rather than Larus? Certainly shows as such in my IOC list, assuming it is up to date, likewise Swallow-tailed Gull and Lava Gull that Andy mentioned are Creagrus and Leucophaeus respectively.

I think Pterocles (14sp) is my best completed genus (also seen the two Syrrhaptes to complete the family). I'm on 55 Phylloscs, and also need Rock Sand to complete Calidris.

I don't know is this is a bit of a myth, I was told that some birders, after they'd seen all the species on a particular, field guide plate, would rip out that plate?
I can imagine some birders doing that as a show of bravado, and then quietly sellotaping it back in when nobody is looking!

Sorry mate, you can't 'wipe' vanellus, not whilst this appears in any firld guide and it's not actually declared extinct yet ;)

White-eyed Gull is easy at Eilat in Israel.
Interesting about White-eyed Gull at Eilat, I was not aware of that, though I do fancy a look at Djibouti anyway. With no records since the 1940's Javan Lapawing is claarly a goner, can't imagine why it has not been declared Extinct, so for practical purposes I have cleaned up Vanellus

Interesting about White-eyed Gull at Eilat, I was not aware of that, though I do fancy a look at Djibouti anyway. With no records since the 1940's Javan Lapawing is claarly a goner, can't imagine why it has not been declared Extinct, so for practical purposes I have cleaned up Vanellus
Because they say there are unsurveyed places where it could still be hanging on, in theory but I agree, it's gone.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back