• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many lifers seen in a single day? (1 Viewer)

42- On a guided tour in the Yucatan is easily #1 for me. Could have been more if I had done the tour earlier in the trip, before I had picked up a dozen or so lifers on my own around the resort
22- One of my first excursions out of my immediate area early on in my birding career, to Anahuac NWR. Easy birding, even for a beginner, with plenty of ducks, waders and raptors that were numerous and obliging with the looks they provided
15- My first shorebird-centric adventure, to Bolivar Flats. Ran into the legendary Victor Emmanuel while racking up plovers, sandpipers and terns

I managed 53 lifers in my first full day in Costa Rica last month which was my first time birding in the Americas.
Now overtaken by 59 lifers on my first day in The Gambia on 14th November, including Four-banded Sandgrouse, Little Bee-eater, Verreaux's Eagle-owl, Greyish Eagle-owl, Northern White-faced Owl, African Green Pigeon, Collared Sunbird, Greater Honeyguide, Fanti Saw-wing, Western Bluebill, African Paradise Flycatcher etc. It would have been over 80 lifers had I not had 3 hours of birding in Senegal the previous morning.

Based on the regions, Kenya seems to be taking my first 2 spots for most lifers in 1 day:
  1. 91 Species on Day 1 just by walking around the Ecocamp and a nearby Forest Sanctuary (highlights being Crowned Eagle and Narina Trogon 30 minutes from each other)
  2. 73 Species on Day 2 of the same trip in Nairobi National Park (average after the first 2 days went to 30-40 lifers until we reached the Masai Mara, which went down to less than 20 per day).
Prior to that, Ecuador and Guyana are happily fighting for spots 3-5:
  1. 66 Species on Day 2 amazing morning in Paz de Las Aves and slow afternoon in Bellavista Cloud Forest Lodge area
  2. 59 Species on Day 1 of Ecuador, and this was just on the highland reserves towards Mindo
  3. 54 Species on Day 1 of Guyana, first time in the Amazon and everything was new (but I get a lot of looks from birders when I say that I had Crimson Topaz, Capuchinbird and Rufous-winged Ground-Cuckoo on my first birding trip outside of the US)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back