• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many lifers seen in a single day? (1 Viewer)

I’m not sure of mine but you can’t beat the first days of a long haul foreign birding trip to somewhere well away from previous destinations. Updating the notepad & thumbing through the field guide over a beer is a satisfying end to the day.

66 along the Mandala Road in Arunachal Pradesh, India in 2009.

Quite a few more days with over 40 lifers:
Zambia (56, 49, 42 – first time in tropical Africa), Brazil (46, 43), Cameroon (45), Papua New Guinea (44 – first time in Oceania), Venezuela (43 – first time in the Neotropics, on my own) and Colombia (41).

66 along the Mandala Road in Arunachal Pradesh, India in 2009.

Quite a few more days with over 40 lifers:
Zambia (56, 49, 42 – first time in tropical Africa), Brazil (46, 43), Cameroon (45), Papua New Guinea (44 – first time in Oceania), Venezuela (43 – first time in the Neotropics, on my own) and Colombia (41).
Wow. That is quite a haul. Guess I need to travel more.

36 in Nepal. Admittedly, I had never birded that hemisphere, so they were ALL new to me. Quite a thrill, but also somewhat overwhelming. As someone said elsewhere, if you asked me the next day what I had seen earlier, I would prob draw a blank!

We have really spoiled this effect for us by having travelled a lot before really getting into birding. So for most parts of the world, we had a gradual start, where we would get some common species upon the first visit and then some more when visiting again and actually looking for birds. The south Africa trip in 2018 was different because we had not been south of the Sahara before and so we got over 300 lifers from the trip. Yet still we did not get that dramatic daily lifer counts because we started in very dry and rather lifeless areas and thus it was building up slowly. Then we were in Kenya last winter, we saw over 400 species total, but less than 200 lifers simply because of the previous trip to southern Africa and it was never such a boom of species.

Another part of the world where we never went pre-birding was Australia - but on the first visit, we went to Tasmania which doesn't have THAT many species.

So yeah, if there are any new-worlders who have never been to Europe, come to Poland in spring, I will make you a 100-lifer day with some effort :) But it's surprisingly difficult if you had travelled before birding.

I am currently:-

Thailand - 68 - 6th November 2022 (first day in south east Asia)
Uganda - 55 - 4th March 2019 (first day in sub-Saharan Africa)
Thailand - 53 - 7th November 2022 (second day in south east Asia)

The Thailand total may reduce as I did go on a cricket tour to Sri Lanka in 1985/86 and there is a list of birds around here somewhere... Not a very long one.

I plan to beat that total at least once or twice next year. Hopefully...

All the best

Paul

I’ve never gotten past 50 despite forays to every continent save Africa. Depends how you set up your first day, I suppose.

46 Ebro Delta, Spain

44 Reserva Costanera Sur, Buenos Aires, Argentina

43 La Selva, Costa Rica

43 Royal National Park and Sydney Botanical Garden

40 Sacha Lodge, Ecuador

Users who are viewing this thread

Back