• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How Many Pairs of Binoculars do you Have? (1 Viewer)

My modest collection:

Zen Ray ED3 7x43
Eden 8x56

I may have something else on its way, but we'll wait until that's finalized before I say anything.

My enormous collection:

1998-2008:
Optolyth Touring 10x40B (gave it to my mother)

2008-present:
Zeiss 7x42 T*FL

I will buy another one in 2018 I guess...
Current contenders are 8x42HT, 8x32SV, 10x50SV.
I am still looking for a bargain 7x45 Night Owl and a 10x56 T*FL.

But in the end, I spend yearly approx. 3000 euros on traveling and watching birds. My collection could have been one with more than 10 new alpha binoculars, but I prefer new birds everyday and my current binocular isn't letting me down at any time.

I really enjoy looking at Gary Hawkins and Simon Spiers' galleries, but the beauty of a binocular is expressed, at least to me, by its performance in the hands of a birder, out in the field, and not in a cabinet or behind glass.

Last edited:
The question that emerges now is how many binoculars do you need?
You can only use one at the time, that's for sure.
But since zoom binoculars are awful and handheld binoculars don't accept replaceable eyepieces, you only get one magnification at the time. So you might feel the need for at least one at 8x (most usual magnification) and another at a higher magnification.
And since even 42mm binoculars are somewhat big and heavy, you might need a smaller one, say 32mm. And a 20mm for those times when 32mm is big itself (dressed formally and without a briefcase).
If you do astronomy you might get into the hazardous giant territory, a real landmine for your wallet. Add sturdy tripods and sophisticated mounts here. Or simply IS binoculars of manageable apertures.
Do we need another for the theater? A Galilean type? And a close focus one? And a night glass?
Things can go out of hand. But if you are a birder, no. A 42mm and a backup 32mm will suffice. But there are so many objects there except birds to see.
I'm thinking, if somebody could build a waterproof binocular with precisely collimated clickstop zoom eyepieces that give 6, 5, 4 and 3mm exit pupils, with close focus at the lower magnification range and image stabilization for the greater magnifications, and a field of view of 56-68 degrees, that would weight significantly less than a ton, I might only need one 42mm. Maybe a 30mm too. I would pay 4000€ for that one, provided it would be of alpha quality (who else than Leica, Zeiss or Nikon could build that?) and so I wouldn't have much money left to buy other insignificant pairs then. Is it feasible? Yes, all the technology is available for years, we have good IS, zooms like the Leica Aspheric (we only need 2x), super light alloys, ultra small electronic chips and sensors and excellent optics, somebody has to combine these and invent a way to be perfectly collimated at every exit pupil/ magnification setting. Being insanely expensive will ensure that it wouldn't affect sales of other binocular lines, a few people would be able to afford it.

There is a significant difference in how binoculars one has and how many one needs. I have never sold my old binoculars when I have upgraded or expanded my optics.
I now own the following binoculars in order of purchase: Zeiss Jena 10x50 Dekarem (1974), Zeiss West 10x40 (1986) Dialyt, Zeiss 7x42 Dialyt (1997), Nikon 8x32 HG (2005), Swarovski 8x25 CL (2014) and my most recent purchase earlier this year was a pair of Swarovski 8x32 SVs.
My default birding binocular is therefore the Swarovski 8x32, however the 8x25 is what I carry on non birding holidays and was impressed by them when I used them on a guided bird walk in Central Park Manhattan. The 10x40's are now almost 30 years old and I rarely use them for birding.
I wonder if I need a new pair of 10x42s, but can't really justify buying some. Since buying the 7x42s, I realised that the lower magnification more than satisfactory for general birding.

Only two:

-Vortex Hurricane 8x28 that I have for others to use so that I don't have to share my favorite.

-My favorite: Swarovski Habicht 8x30. I've had these since the early 1990s. They have nice depth of field and bright view. Plus I've never seen another pair like them. They are beautiful! They came with a matching leather "sport case."

znVELz

A3d8NN

GK,

A very interesting, beautiful and (likely) rare and valuable pair of 8X30's - I have never seen a Habicht like this before either, maybe a custom job?

OK, I'll bite...

It has changed over time and is likely to change again. These are what I have (for the last year or better...):

7x42 Nikon EDG
7x36 Opticron BGA Classic
8x32 Zeiss Conquest HD
8x30 Nikon EII
8x25 Bushnell Powerview (2 pair)
Leica Rangemaster CRF 900
Nikon ED50 Fieldscope

The 7x42 is used the most; the 8x32 the second most, and the 7x36 and the 8x30 the least. The bushnells are for car, high risk, beater, and super light carry... all of which I won't try with the others.

Most likely to try next: Maven.
Most desired: Leica UV HD+.

CG

Last edited:
The genuine leather version of the 8x30 was actually called the "ladies" model, available in both brown and ruby. You paid a small premium for it. Its suggested retail in a 1991 price list was $550. In the same list the normal leatherette 8x30 with a more "masculine" looking leather sport case was $515. I was almost talked into the ladies version by a dealer who claimed that it was hand picked for the highest optical quality. Nothing's too fine for the ladies, I guess.

BTW, GK, what is that word on the right prism cover that ends in "DELL"? On the standard version that's where the word HABICHT appears.

Henry

Last edited:
BTW, GK, what is that word on the right prism cover that ends in "DELL"? On the standard version that's where the word HABICHT appears.

Hi,

my bet would be Modell (german for model) or a derivative of this - maybe Sondermodell (custom model) or so.

Joachim

My list:

Current:
Zeiss Victory SF 8x42: main birding bin
Swarovski EL SV 8x32: main hiking bin
Nikon Monarch 7 8x42: former main birding bin, now reserve/roughing it bin
Nikon Action EX 10x50: bought for astro, gets little use nowadays
Nikon Sportstar EX 10x25: bought as car bin, but soon found it inadequate. It's languishing around somewhere as I haven't got around to selling it yet.

Former:
Opticron Oregon 4 8x32: former car bin. Sold it to a friend who used a cheap and crappy supermarket roof. She was really happy! :)

Possible future acquisitions:
Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 or similar bin as my new car bin
Kowa YF 6x30 or similar for kayaking/canoeing
Canon 15x50 IS for astro

Scopes:
Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85
Thinking of maybe getting a travel scope of some kind...

HN

Currently.

Swarovski EL SV 10X42
Nikon Venturer LX 10X42
Fujinon FMT-SX 10X70
Fujinon FMT-SX 16X70
Miyauchi 20X100 with fixed eyepieces

OK, just for grins, I'll give this a shot.

Vintage porros

5 various Tasco 10-11* 7x35
1 Binolux 11* 7x35
1 Swift Audubon 804 8.5x44
2 Swift Nigthawk 9.5* 8x40
1 Swift Apollo 8.5* 8x30
1 Swift Eaglet 7.5* 7x25
1 Wards 12* wide angle 7x35
1 Bushnell Tamron Rangemaster 11* 7x35
1 Bushnell Fuji Rangemaster 10* 7x35
1 Bushnell Custom 8* 7x35
1 Jason Venture 11* 7x35
1 Holiday 10* 7x35
1 Baush & Lomb Zephyr 8.5* 8x30
1 Mastercraft 10* 8x30
1 Sans & Sterrife Viking 10* 8x30
1 Military 1943 WW II Westinghouse 7x50
1 Horizon 7x50 IF
1 Uniscope 7x50 IF
1 Zeiss Jenoptem 8x30
1 Zeiss labelled military style 6x30 IF. This may or may not be Zeiss.

Modern Porros
1 Opticron HR WP 10x42
1 Nikon Aculon 7x35
1 Eagle Optics Raven 6.5x 32
1 Bushnell Navigator 7x50
1 Baush & Lomb Custom 7x26

Modern roof prism
1 Swarovski SV EL 10x50 (currently for sale)
1 Maven B1 10x42
1 Maven B2 9x45
3 Maven B3 8x30
1 ZEN ED 2 7x36
1 ZEN ED 2 10x43
1 ZRS HD 8x42
1 ZRS HD 8x32
1 Theron Wapiti LT 8x32
1 Leupold Acadia 8x32
1 Promaster Infinity ELX ED 8x42
1 Kruger Caldera 8x42

I will edit to add that each and every one of those vintage porros listed above are completely field worthy even by today's standards. The Bushnell Rangemasters, the B&L Zephyr and the Swift Audubon will give anything on the market a solid run for their money. The Bushnell Custom 7x35 and the Jason Venture 7x35 will make strong cases for themselves as well.

Last edited:
Used to be 40 plus, just 3 now, sorted by size:

Canon 10x42ISL, my reliable go to glass.
Zeiss 8x30 'Classic', my backup spare.
Leica 8x20 Trinovid, my excursion glass.

Nikon ED50 and EDIII Fieldscopes for long views.

Size really determines utility.
Smaller is more flexible and more convenient, at the expense of ease of view.
Improving that tradeoff is one of the most obvious areas of potential improvement for new binoculars imho.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back