• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to Carry and Support Nikon 300 f/4 + TC (1 Viewer)

pipilo

Based on all the recommendations here on birdforum and elsehwere, I have taken the plunge and purchased a used Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S + TC14E II for bird photography.

I can't afford a newer body at the moment, so am mounting the lens and teleconverter onto my Nikon D70. Because of its poor ISO performance and lack of VR, I know that a monopod will be necessary in less than favorable light. I'm thinking about the Manfrotto 679b with 234RC head. I'd like to keep the weight down as most of my bird photography will require hiking many miles over difficult terrain, but am not sure if a carbon fiber monopod is worth the extra cost. I'd really like to be able to use the monopod as a walking stick when my camera is packed away. Has anyone hiked considerable distances with the 679b?

The other problem I'm coming across is finding a bag to carry this setup with relatively quick access. I'd love to be able to use something like the Lowepro Toploader 75 AW, but my camera won't fit with the TC attached. I've also checked out the holsters made by Think Tank, but none of them will fit this combo without extending the bottom of the bag (therefore compromising protection). I'd really prefer a slim bag with top loading access that could be dropped into a hiking backpack along with other required gear for longer excursions. Nobody seems to make a low profile bag that will hold a 300 f/4 + TC attached to a camera body. The closest thing I have seen so far is the Lowepro Flipside 200, but even that has extra space on the sides that would simply take up more room in my hiking pack (not to mention the access to zippers would be very difficult). So my question to the other 300 f/4 + TC owners out there is: what do you use or recommend for carrying this combination without breaking it down into its component parts for back-country birding? Is removing the lens or TC the only way to go?

Sorry for the long-winded questions, hopefully someone has had the same frustrations and has found a solution.

Thanks,
Adam

Try one of the Velocity series by Tamrac. I have a Tamrac 9 (they go up to 10 being the largest).....and it fits my canon 450 plus 300mm plus tc. I use it strictly when I want to walk about and only have that one lens in it.... it is a sling which I also like.

Adam,

Look at the Kata range of photographers rucsacks. I bought one last year and find it very comfortable, high quality, good design and it will go as cabin luggage on a plane.

Mine carries a D700 with 300 2.8VR and 1.7tc. I can also fit a Leica 62mm scope in too.

Richard

Think Tank Antidote is a good comfortable bag, perfect for air flight. Takes the 300f2.8 with body attached and hood reversed. Enough spare room for TC's, 'bins etc plus a seperate detachable laptop case.
Not very weather proof but comes with a seperate raincover. Maybe not the best bet for hiking ?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back